This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeii Plans Ready for Download

The PDF version of the plans are ready for download. The eBook is 67 pages, with photos, tables, graphs, etc. I think it is a big step forward, and it gives us a good reference point for improving the plans and adding more detail and useful information in the future.

My thanks to everyone who gave their time to the editing process. Thank you all very much. We will continue to take input on the plans, and keep making them better, so send recommendations and comments to sales@fornobravo.com .

For version control, I have included a verion number in the footer of each page, which is currently Ver. 1.1. Like a software publisher, we will track new versions of the plans, where the first number (Ver. 2.0) will represent a major upgrade, and the second number (Ver. 1.2) will present more minor improvements.

To access the plans, go the the FB Store (http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Inst...p-1-c-260.html), and register. The plans are under Instruction Manuals and eBooks category. After you "order" the free plans, you will receive an email with the download link. Be patient.It might take a couple of hours for the download email to arrive. It should be easy (and I hope it works).

Let us know how it goes for you and what you think.
    Last edited by admin; 12-17-2015, 04:59 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Pompeii Plans Ready for Download

(J) "To access the plans, go the the FB Store (http://www.fornobravo.com/store), and register.

(M) Been there, done that; got this:

"Page Not Found on www.fornobravo.com

We're sorry. We can't find the page you are looking for on www.fornobravo.com.

If you can't find the information you are looking for, you can reach us at info@fornobravo.com."

Ciao,

Marcel
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
    but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

(M) I tried adding a / after 'store' and it worked, as follows

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/

but, ....

(M) I was able to go there directly by Copy-Pasting:

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Inst...p-1-c-260.html

(M) Even simpler might be to Copy-Paste:

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Pomp...f-p-16249.html

(M) But when I entered my Log In Info. I got the following message:

" Forno Bravo Store

Page not found!
      The requested page does not exist or you are not allowed to access it! "

=========================================

Ciao,

Marcel

Comment

(M) I RE-registered, using the same User Name, and Password as I've used for 2 years and got an acknowledgment that I was registered. I then ordered the plans and have gotten the Invoice by Email and the download instructions.

(M) Will try to download them now. Thanks.

Ciao,

Marcel
        Last edited by Marcel; 03-11-2007, 12:06 PM. Reason: Key arrived

Comment

Marcel,

I appear to be stuck in the same vortex. Also, was the members list removed? - I can't seem to find it.

Les...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hello Marcel, JB and Les,

Right now the store is programmed where I have to manually approve each request to have the download email sent. I am working on that, but for now it might take a couple of hours for that email to show up. You should have them now.

Les, the FB Store and Forum have diffferent member lists, so you have to register a second time on the store. Sorry about that.

Also, I have gone back and updated the original posting to show the right URL for the plans, and a note on the delay before getting the download email.

Sorry for the slow start.
            James
            Last edited by james; 03-11-2007, 11:50 AM.
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

(M) "File not supported". James your .pdf file ends with .sitx

(M) I'm no "wire head" but I don't remember ever having downloaded a .pdf file that has anything appended such as your .sitx. Could that be why I was not able to open the .pdf file?

Ciao,

Marcel

Comment

Ah,

The file was very large, so I had to compress it with Stuffit (.sitx). You can unstuff the file with a free utility, and many email readers will open it automatically. If you can search your computer for a stuffit reader, you should be able to open it. If not, you will need to download a fee Stuffit reader.

I can compress the file into any format, so if there is a more widely used format for Windows, let me know, and I can change it.

We would consider just using the basic PDF file -- without compression. It's a bigger file, but the compression will not be an issue.

Marcel, let me know it goes for you.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Stuffit is more prevalent in the Mac world (I think..). I had to go and download and install Stuffit to decompress it. (more downloading, registration forms, confirmation emails etc..)

If you have to compress it, maybe a .zip format would be better for Windows users.

On the other hand, the compressed file is 3.53MB and the uncompressed PDF is 4.61MB. Not that much bigger. I'd suggest to have it as an uncompressed download, do people can open it straight up in their PDF reader.

Comment

Hi James, .zip for windows users please. .sit files are very uncommon to windows users. Or as was pointed out, the .pdf isn't all that inefficient in itself.
                    - JC

Comment

Hey James, i just downloaded the plans. Still waiting for the email but thought i would say thank you to everyone who put them together. Im sure they will help me to realize my own oven this summer. I am a bit currious why a store that makes and sells ovens would post how to make your own, but im not complaining. Acutually im very greatfull.
                      Keith

Comment

JC and Pete, yes, I had started to think that I was creating a lot of hassle to save 1MB of download time. That's the gear-head in me. I will be posting a standard .pdf file later today, so folks won't have to worry about compression.

Keith, I decided a few years ago that the best way for Forno Bravo to be successful would be to expand the understanding of wood-fired ovens in the English-speaking world. So, we created the plans and give them away for free. I think it's a real win-win situation. A large number of Pompeii Ovens have been built all over the world, which is great, and Forno Bravo (the company) is doing very well. Not every one has the skill or patience to build a brick oven -- one brick at a time, so for everyone else, there are the Forno Bravo ovens, plus tools, accessories, pizza ingredients, etc. .

Everyone shares recipes, techniques, photos, etc., which is good for the community. My background is the computer industry, and I took Open Source software as something of a role model for the Pompeii Oven plans.

So, welcome to the community and enjoy your project!
                        James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

OK, I have done another round of edits on the plans, incorporating CJ's comments, so we are at V1.2. I have posted that to the FB Store, and did not compress it, so it will play right as you download it.

If you want the new version and have already registered and downloaded V1.1, send me an email and I will forward it to you. Otherwise, you can go to the FB Store and find it there.

Phew.
                          James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Quick glance review

I am not sure if the cost of bricks has been updated - last time I check you are quoting 2004 prices. Anyone have costing for:
                            standard size clay brick
                            standard size cement brick
                            hollow block
                            what you paid for a fire brick

Pg 31 states that there is a discourse of how to measure and cut your bricks into taper in the Appendix. I believe this was a mathematical piece and might have also made reference to a commercially available product. it didn't make it to the appendix - redact the sentance

Comment

Re: Quick glance review

standard size clay brick
                              $0.50 at Home Depot

standard size cement brick
                              Like a Paver?

hollow block
                              8x8x16 = $1.20

what you paid for a fire brick
                              $1.15

In Austin, TX, USA.
                              -Chris-
                              I'm building a Pompeii Oven in Austin, Texas. See my progress at:
                              Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

Working...
                              X