X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mirassou
    replied
    Re: 42" Pompeii Oven in Virginia

Here's my IT, reused from Kurtloup and slightly modified to give it a lower profile. Loved someone's idea of using an angle finder.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Oh cool...thanks Tscarborough! I'll correct them tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

You have 4 pieces that need to be fixed. Anything smaller than 1/4 of a total unit is too small and will cause problems. See pic.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

I sprung for the Lackmond Beast brick saw. I've never had a wet saw before and this seemed to be the middle ground between cheap and expensive

Amazon.com: Lackmond WTS2000L Beast 10-Inch Wet Tile/Stone Saw with Laser, Worklight and Stand: Home Improvement

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Finished the oven floor today...love the brick saw! The laser was a big help. Now on to the soldier course.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

And many thanks to Kurtloup for sending me his IT!!

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Back from vacation in France, Italy and Greece, saw a ton of ovens and I'm excited to continue work on our oven. Cut the form for the oven and landing, and marked the hearth. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to lay the ceramic fiber board and the floor. I'm thinking of laying the soldier course on top of the floor, not cutting the circle, other than cutting where I can get a half brick out of it to use on the dome. Any thoughts? Also wondering whether to chamfer the edges of the floor bricks?

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Received the fiber board and blanket insulation today. Ordered from McGills Warehouse Online Department Store
    The cost was 33.14 per 50 sq ft blanket x 3, 88.21 per 2 sheets fiber board x 2 cartons, 6 insurance and a whopping 203.80 for shipping = 485.64

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

The ties are fine, and that is good forethought. They just need to be set in mortar between the blocks or extend into a cell filled with concrete to be of any use..

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Yeah, I was waiting for someone to comment that they weren't the right ties. The truth is that I don't know how I'm going to finish the exterior, so I put them in just in case.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by mirassou View Post
    Notice that I just skimmed over top of the the irrigation pipe with the first dig...that was divine intervention
    Phew! that would have been a pain.

FYI, those corrugated wall ties won't be any use, unless they are penetrating a concrete filled cell in the CMU. The friction and weight of dry laid block isn't enough to make them useful anchors for your veneer work.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

LOL, that's so funny. Sounds like some of my back and forth emails sometimes! Thanks for the encouragement, but I feel that now that the heavy lifting is done, the real technical work begins.

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

LOL I missed the "in" part. Now don't go making an edit and add the "in" then I will think I'm going crazy ...again. My pm to you was just as confused...:-)

Charlottesville..got it.

BTW your build is looking good. Keep up with the pictures.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Oh lol...I'm in Louisa, VA, about 22 east of Charlottesville.

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

Do I already know you Louisa? I need more to go on. I'm really poor keeping names to faces.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X