36+ Pompeii in St. Louis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36+ Pompeii in St. Louis

Your patio looks very nice. I see the cutting of a lot pavers in your future. That will be good practice for your fire brick cutting.

Comment

You've got a beautiful project going-very well done.

Comment

Originally posted by CV_Oven View Post
        You've got a beautiful project going-very well done.
        Thanks! I hope the rest of it looks as nice

Comment

Looking good. Lots of brick cutting ahead. With the today' snow, i suppose you will be in a holding pattern until a thaw. Keep posting pics.
          jon

Comment

We thawed out and the patio was finished today!

Last week I bought the fiber board from HiTemp in Fenton, MO. This week I am picking up the initial load of firebrick and mortar. Alsey Flue-Set seems to be all I can get so I'm going with that unless someone convinces me otherwise. A bit lazy to do the DIY mix method.

Today was 80 degrees. Tonight is storms and snow. I might might start on the dome Saturday though.

Comment

Tried to change thread title because the oven will officially be 42"

Comment

On Saturday morning I picked up the first load of fire brick from Kirkwood Material in STL. They are Alsey medium duty. Plus 2 bags of Flue Set.

I spent most of the day finishing the pavers in the oven base so I can say that the patio is finally 100% complete.

Sunday was more nasty winter in St. Louis so I didn't get much done. I just laid out the oven floor in my garage and I'm now in the process of figuring out cuts and landing size/angle etc. I find myself using Pizza Bob's build for most of my inspiration

Comment

Your project will look great when it is done. I have a big patio to do too but I think I will let it take the back seat to the oven. I'm excited to see your finished product. The oven/hearth looks great. I like that you decided to remove the cement board and go with the plywood. I did the same but ended up leaving mine in place. It will eventually be covered and unseen but it was just a bit lazy letting it sit on the bricks. I guess I felt like being lazy that day. Good luck with your build I'm looking forward to following.
                  Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

Made some great progress this weekend. I'll post more pics later.

Comment

That's looking good Merc. After waiting out the weather and having your paving completed the project will move on quickly from here. Will watch with interest, it is shaping up to be quite special.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Looks great! you cut the floor bricks very nicely!

Comment

Hello, im buliding a 35 inch pompeii. I wonder what is that white stuf below your firebricks. Can you tell me. Sory for bad english..

bye

Comment

Originally posted by artman View Post
                            Hello, im buliding a 35 inch pompeii. I wonder what is that white stuf below your firebricks. Can you tell me. Sory for bad english..

bye
                            Hi Artman - it is fiber board

Comment

All,

I need some advice ASAP

Long story short.. I bought fiber board that seemed comparable to FB Board from Forno Bravo. When I went to pick up the board the supplier had limited supply and I unknowingly got board from 2 different manufacturers. Before I did the soldier course I had run some basic numbers and thought it seemed fine.

Now I know the actual boards I was sold:

*Board 1 (large board): Kaowool-M - Item # Kaowool M, Kaowool Low-Temperature Boards (2300?F - 2400?F Insulation & Structural Boards) On Foundry Service & Supplies, Inc.

*Boards 2 and 3: NuTec Fibratec - Nutec Fibratec

The first board has 20-40 psi compression strength and that seems a bit soft.

Looking at the FB Board the compression strength is 0.5 MPa which would be over 70 PSI (right?)

This full-size oven is gonna be hefty. Sagging into the board would be a disaster.

Let me know what you think.

Comment

Lets say your oven dome and floor weighs 3000#s complete (It won't). At 36" diameter with a wall thickness of 4", you have a bearing surface of 452 SqIn, giving you a compressive strength of 6.63 PSI on the bearing area.

Unless it is a mobile oven exposed to live loads, you have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                                X