Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36+ Pompeii in St. Louis

Thanks Tscarborough

The oven is 41 internal but that doesn't change the PSI much. Still in the same ballpark.

Numbers are one thing... but feeling the softness of the board had me a bit freaked out

Comment

Merk, follow your gut. If you got this from Tom in Fenton, take it back and tell him you want the stiffer insulation board, so it is all the same material. Peace of mind does wonders in the long run.
      jon
      jon

Comment

Build is looking great. I'm excited to see another local in midst of a build. I'm just starting into pre-production and have already obtained some good info from your thread (material supplier, etc.). Carry on!
        Oh, I'm here for the pizza.

Pre-Production Album

Comment

I've been consumed by St. Louis Blues hockey... but no more So now I expect my oven progress to speed up.

I built a form for the arch out of sandwiched plywood. All screwed together so that I can easily (hopefully) disassemble the form. There is also double cardboard spacers around the wood.

As of Saturday I have done 1.5 courses above the soldiers. Yesterday was stormy (and the Blues were on) so I didn't do any work.

Comment

Merk,
            It's been a while since you posted anything. How's the oven build coming along? Always nice to see others near STL have a build..
            jon
            jon

Comment

Originally posted by kanoer54 View Post
              Merk,
              It's been a while since you posted anything. How's the oven build coming along? Always nice to see others near STL have a build..
              jon
              I'll post a few pics in a minute. Thanks for checking in!

Comment

Here are a few pics from the weekend.

We did row #6 using my standard wall-o-pavers as supports. Gravity will now be a big factor and I think I'm going to use styrofoam forms. They are foldable (with duct tape) so I'll be able to set it, clean it and then quickly rotate the form in place. That's the idea at least

Up to this point I've not tapered ANY of the dome bricks up but I think it is time to start on row 7.

We had a BBQ last weekend and everyone is very anxious for this thing to be done! Me too.

Comment

Merk,
                  Looking good. You'll be doing your curing fires soon. Then comes the fine cooking time over a beer or two ...or more. Keep posting the pics.
                  jon
                  jon

Comment

Hey All!

The dome is complete and I'm starting on the flue and front arch.

Question for you guys: Can the front arch be taller than the internal oven arch?

The oven opening is 12 inches tall. I mocked up the entry arch and now I'm trying to figure out the height of that arch. My concern is that the visibility into the oven will be a minor annoyance if I make it 12 inches as well. I'm gonna have to lean down a bit to see in. I should have made the block stand about 2-3 inches higher due to the patio height etc.

Just wondering how much the front arch affects the draw.

Thanks for any advice!

note: the pavers in the pic were just temporary supports. I laid down a mat so I could get inside the oven and clean the dome a little
                    Last edited by merk; 06-23-2014, 08:10 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I have about an inch of difference between my inner and outer arch. I was more concerned with being able to easily put the oven door in and out than smoke coming out. I do get smoke when first firing, but not after everything gets warmed up. I did use a 6" stainless double wall flue. I think that an 8" would probably have gone a long way in keeping the smoke where you want it. I do not mind smoke stains on the front of my oven, but I know for some people that is an issue. Have you read the sticky about leaving a reveal?

Comment

Weekend progress pics

Comment

Nice clean work. I like the alternating brick colors.
                          My build progress
                          My WFO Journal on Facebook
                          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                            Nice clean work. I like the alternating brick colors.
                            Thanks. Those bricks are #1 and #2 arch bricks and were different shades. When I planned it on the ground it wasn't alternating... but when it came time to build it worked out better that way and looks nice too

Comment

Merk,

I am not sure if I can tell... did you use arch bricks in your dome as well as your arch? I have been wondering what that would be like to try...

Comment

Originally posted by felix View Post
                                Merk,

I am not sure if I can tell... did you use arch bricks in your dome as well as your arch? I have been wondering what that would be like to try...
                                No I did not. I just cut the bricks smaller on the top few courses (thirds and smaller). Definitely not as precise as other parts of the oven.

Comment

Working...
                                X