My UK build is out of the ground!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My UK build is out of the ground!

I think heat transfer would act very similar to water.
    If there is continuous contact or it can flow unimpeded without a barrier then it will.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yeah, I agree Al.
      I am thinking of putting a split course of those insulated firebrick in to form the thermal break, then continue the herringbone to the front arch.

Will those insulated firebrick do the job?

Cheers

Allan

Comment

Ok, got my inner arch done.
        Couldn't work out the transition cuts on the back of the arch perfectly, (maybe I struggled to grasp it as im using forms rather than a IT), my cuts on the arch seem steeper than some I have seen. But as far as I can see its working out well, im cutting the arch and cutting the dome in also, and I am getting a fairly tidy transition.
        I have only got 2 more chains then im over the arch now.
        I pulled the dome forms out as I couldn't get the brick that would sit directly on the form in the correct position. The form was preventing the brick from following the true curve of the dome, so the brick would lip quite a bit over the course below. They were a good template for my first few chains, but as the radius tightens I think it would have only got worse if they stayed in!

Any feedback always welcome.

Cheers

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by vincentvega_uk View Post
          Yeah, I agree Al.
          I am thinking of putting a split course of those insulated firebrick in to form the thermal break, then continue the herringbone to the front arch.

Will those insulated firebrick do the job?

Cheers

Allan
          I used insulating fire bricks for my heat breaks and they work really gooder.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

You'll still get a fair amount of heat into the outer arch and area through the hot gasses flowing up the chimney and heating all the surrounding brickwork. Don't expect this area to be cool, or anything. You should however notice that when the fire dies, the chimney and arch should cool far quicker than the oven bricks.
            Vermiculite bricks, like what are used in woodburners could do, but as with most insulating materials they are usually fragile. Another way is to stuff a gap with stove rope and use a heat proof mastic to seal.

Comment

Not trying to be a pain, but your oven opening appears to be too high and wide. If you please, what are the dimensions?
              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by vincentvega_uk View Post
                If I would like to install a fire break in the firebrick floor at the entry to the inner arch, what would I use to make the firebreak itself?

Cheers

Allan
                Originally posted by bobmurphy View Post
                I also wanted to do something for a thermal break. Of course I am not sure if this has any effect at all, but here is what I did. I did basically the same thing between the inner arch and the entry. Just a few cuts with the saw to lessen the surface area of contact. I'm sure it will fill with ashes, but still should help.
                Allen,
                Your building is coming along nicely, beautiful arch

Below is a link to my thread about my heat break. Now that I fired the oven and taken so data to measure the performance. I think it is performing nicely my oven was still 120F after seven days with only a piece of cement covering the opening. There is definitely a big temperature change across the break. I'm glad I took the time to incorporate the heat break. Do yourself a favor and put one in.

Good luck with your build keep up the good work. I'm also seeing what stonecutter is, your arch does look a little high. Did you follow the golden rule max 63% of dome height?

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                My floor heat break is blend of the those whom trodden before. I'm not sure how well it will perform, but it's better then nothing. I should had used a wider piece of stainless. it would have allowed a thicker section of insulating brick beneath. I ended up with only a one inch sliver of insulating brick. I thought about beveling the two types of brick but didn't thing I would gain much. Most of all the angle cuts would have been a nightmare of difficulty. So it is what it is. I can always put a wider insulating and stainless barrier later if I don't like how it performs.

I incorporated a ceramic fiber band like Gulf did, this should slow some of the heat transfer to the stainless and beyond. We will see......... I allowed the stainless tubing to be slightly higher than the surrounding bricks. This should keep the edges of the bricks from chipping. The square tubing has a nicely rounded corners the and any tool or pans etc... should glide over it easily I hope.
                Last edited by kbartman; 10-26-2013, 05:52 AM.
                Respectfully,

KB

My build
                Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

PS,
                  A floor break would do little good without a arch heat break also.
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                    Allen,

Good luck with your build keep up the good work. I'm also seeing what stonecutter is, your arch does look a little high. Did you follow the golden rule max 63% of dome height?
                    As a point of reference, ideal range is 60%-64%
                    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                    John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                      As a point of reference, ideal range is 60%-64%
                      Thanks for the clarification cause mine ended up slightly more then the 63% that make me feel better.
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

either way...it'll still work.

Comment

The door is 63% of the overall height, but I know where the problem/issue is, and now hoping the oven will still be fine.
                          The issue is that I have begun my dome shape of the first ring of vertical half bricks, not the oven floor. So in essence my dome is half a brick taller then it is wide.

Dimensions are, 40" width, 24" high.
                          Opening is 14 3/4 high, 22" wide.
                          All measurements taken of firebrick floor.

I do realise now that that seems quite large compared to most on here, but it is still 63%, its that my dome is raised on the first course I guess.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Allan
                          Last edited by vincentvega_uk; 10-26-2013, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, always welcome!!

Allan

Comment

Todays efforts, closing of the dome.

Cheers

Allan

Comment

Beautiful!! Love the arch!
                                Link to my build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
                                https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

Working...
                                X