This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommended changes

Thanks for all the input everyone. I am thinking we will take a moment in the fall to update the Pompeii Oven eBook to 1.3. If all goes well, we can make the changes recommended above, add some new photos from recent builders, add metric and yes, bookmarks.

We can do the metric measurements to celebrate the new Forno Bravo UK and our UK web site -- Forno Bravo UK | Italian Pizza Ovens in the UK. :-)

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Not sure if this is the right place for this since the plans I have are version 2.0. But...

On page 13, there is a table describing the logic behind the stand dimensions for 42" and 36" domes. Then there is a table summarizing the derived foundation and block stand dimensions.

Then in Appendix 1, Materials and tools list, the foundation and stand dimensions are larger for both the 36" and 42" dome.

I haven't built anything yet, but the logic on page 13 seems sound. I do not understand the increased sizes in Appendix 1. Perhaps I am missing something.

Thanks. Great forum and website.

Comment

Remove the lime from the calcium aluminate mortar recipe.recipe
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Really stress the herringbone floor. I almost didn't do it but am soo glad I took the time and just pulled the trigger and did it. It makes using tools so much easier in the oven (peels, cleaning) but in my case, it matches our floors in our house. They are from a little town you may know James, Imprunetta. They are true Sannini coto floors again laid in a herringbone pattern. Very authentic Tuscan house. Anyway, just a suggestion. Those that one to be authentic need to just do it right! Pics of our place on our blog at www.PoggioSecco.com. We GC'd our project plus designed it too.

Comment

Engineering terms and material descriptions vary all over the world and even within countries. It is expecting a lot to ask Forno Bravo to coordinate all this.

Even on this forum, people use the term "cement" when they mean "concrete".

Comment

Hmmm, true Neil, but one advantage of an e-book is that it can reasonably refer readers to websites outside its scope. If someone can track down a good glossary or similar the link can be included even if the text cannot.

I hope that cements the issue - although it's certainly not set in concrete!

Click image for larger version

Name:	hehe.gif
Views:	1
Size:	451 Bytes
ID:	281129
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
              [/CENTER]

Comment

Just a note to say that it is impossible to download the e-book with a UK address as there is no option for shipping to the UK.

Comment

Hi, I'm new to forum so maybe someone can clarify - page 13 shows oven foundation size (73 x 86 " ) and block stand dimension ( 65 x 78" ) for 42 " oven. Now go to page 66 and it says 80 x 94" for foundation and 72 x 84" for block stand - which is it? Directions mention putting in thermocouple but do you place them under floor tiles or between cracks in floor tile? Also do you use grinder to make arc in floor tiles for circle shape. thanks , Larry

Comment

Hi, I'm new to forum so maybe someone can clarify - page 13 shows oven foundation size (73 x 86 " ) and block stand dimension ( 65 x 78" ) for 42 " oven. Now go to page 66 and it says 80 x 94" for foundation and 72 x 84" for block stand - which is it? Directions mention putting in thermocouple but do you place them under floor tiles or between cracks in floor tile? Also do you use grinder to make arc in floor tiles for circle shape. thanks , Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larrycooper View Post
                      Put Thermocouples where ever you want to measure your temps. I drilled into hearth bricks and put thermocouples in a center brick and then one to each side. I drilled into the brick about and inch and a half, so the thermocouple would be measuring the hearth surface temp. Then I added one under the hearth bricks and compare that to the embedded thermocouple to get the heat stauration of the hearth bricks. Did the same for dome bricks and added one above dome insulation (checks how good I have insulated) and one under the hearth insulation. (same reasoning, I used 4"foamglas under hearth) I have used the oven quite a bit and I will no doubt not need or use all the measurements. So I didn't add spares in case of malfunctions, which plaugue thermocouples in general.
                      Hope this helps
                      John
                      Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
                      Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
                      Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

On the page where you describe chimney height you say " for a good rule of thumb the flue area should be 3 to 4 times the entry height' ( I may have the quote wrong but it is close.) I don't get it is I have an entry arch height of 12 inches the area of the flue should be 36 to 48 square inches? so 6x6 to 7x7? Is this at the top? [B]ut how high up is the top? or did you mean height instead of area? So the height is 36 to 48"? but then how much area? I think this should be explained better.

Comment

I also found it difficult to keep tight brick to brick edges on the inner dome surface as the course s got heigher. Especially if you try to stager each brick over the seam of the next lowre course.. The bottom of each brick needs to be a V while the sides need to be angelled inward to make a "trapazoid". so it come sout to be a pentagon with three different lengths for the 5 sides. Is there a description or discussion of this problem other than the geodesic dome description which is way to much for me. I don't mind the large mortar fills on the outside but I would like no morter showing on the inside.

Comment

the height of the chimney should be 3-4 times the entry which means in your case 3-4 feet height. Ciao Carlo
                            Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

...here in Australia....(the best country in the world)... we went metric in the seventies, blokes like me took awhile to adjust, having learned all imperial then having to change to metric took some adjusting. I was working with a bloke considerably my senior, when we had reason to measure something to do with the job, I said "You call out the figures and I'll write them down!"
                              "One metre...(thats's how we spell it here)...and two and a half inches! he replied.......I give up! ....

Comment

Originally posted by RossM View Post
                                "One metre...(thats's how we spell it here)
                                Thats how its spelt everywhere.....
                                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X