Ash dump installs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ash dump installs

I'm far from an expert, but will gladly share some photos of a foundation set up for an ash dump. I just thought it was a clever design and plan on using it when I get started. I won't post the photos here, but will be glad to email a photo, if you like. Other than that, you may want to do a search on here to see what some experienced builders have done w/ash dumps, etc. I'm just a newbie, here soaking up some knowledge.
    My Build:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

I built an oven ash dump slot just outside the reveal/landing area (where my fire door sits). The slot drops into a metal bin that's got a tight fitting cover. I clean out my oven before baking bread by pulling the bin cover back and then pulling coals & ash into the slot. Everything drops into the bin, I push the cover back on and let the coals smother and die -- out of my way. I bake 15 - 30 loaves on Fridays and normally need to dump the bin every other month if I'm burning hardwoods (minimum ash). I've been using the system since 2009 and it's worked like a charm (incidentally, I give most of the bread to my friends & neighbors).

Photos show the slot in the foundation slab, the slot just in front of the reveal, the initial "propped up" ash bin, finished ash bin mounted on rails for pull-out, and the final view of the working oven. I have two doors, the heavy stainless steel one that's in place in pics 3 & 4 and a much lighter weight working door (the working door is visible on the left side of the oven in pics 3 & 5).

Hope this helps.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

@Mike I have reviewed your thread before but did not recognize what an efficient use of space you created under your oven - roll away carts and all. Probably because I had not yet realized what an utter waste of space I had designed with the 75 cuft "box" under my oven. Everyone thinking about building an oven (corner install, indoors or otherwise) should look at your thread - Awesome! Biggest mistake I made was not reading through the forum before I started my build - I downloaded the plans and went from there - not thinking there was that much to it and so many design options to consider. Yours should be required reading for future builders. Thanks again for sharing.

Regards,
        AT

Comment

Originally posted by ATK406 View Post
          @Mike I have reviewed your thread before but did not recognize what an efficient use of space you created under your oven - roll away carts and all. Probably because I had not yet realized what an utter waste of space I had designed with the 75 cuft "box" under my oven. Everyone thinking about building an oven (corner install, indoors or otherwise) should look at your thread - Awesome! Biggest mistake I made was not reading through the forum before I started my build - I downloaded the plans and went from there - not thinking there was that much to it and so many design options to consider. Yours should be required reading for future builders. Thanks again for sharing.

Regards,
          AT
          I agree. Very nice looking job.
          My Build:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Working...
          X