Semi- circular openings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi- circular openings

Reading post after post, lots of info in this forum, awesome. Another question I have is in regards to semi circular openings. Is a 20 in wide semi circular opening , which would be 10 in high enough for a 42 in semi circular dome? You could add another 2.5 inches of height to each jamb to get to 12.5 in. Has anyone constructed an oven with these dimensions? I personally like the looks of a semi circular arch.

Re: Semi- circular openings

Hi Campmaki

Amac did a semi-circular entry and it turned out very well. Follow this link:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...eii-17334.html
    Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

My 42" oven has an 18x8 nearly semi-circular opening. The traditional ovens from Naples use semi-circular door 44x22cm.

Comment

My opening was abt these dimensions for my 42 incher.
        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 01-31-2014, 06:44 AM. Reason: corrections
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
          My opening were abt these dimensions for my 42 incher.
          WOW, some of you builders have really impressed me with your masonry/ building skills. What a beautiful oven Mr. Beehiver, outstanding and thanks for the help.

Comment

When you say jamb, do you mean a segmental arch opening? Or are you building a semi-circular arch? Because you can increase the rise by bringing the radial line higher on the center line.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
              When you say jamb, do you mean a segmental arch opening? Or are you building a semi-circular arch? Because you can increase the rise by bringing the radial line higher on the center line.
              Stoecutter, when I said jamb I meant side. Strike the arch with a string, 10 in. radius then just add 2.5 inches or brick under the semicircular strike. thanks Stonecutter

Comment

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
                Stoecutter, when I said jamb I meant side. Strike the arch with a string, 10 in. radius then just add 2.5 inches or brick under the semicircular strike. thanks Stonecutter
                My mistake when you have a semi circular arch you in essence do not have sides or jambs as call them. Just would add 2.5 in. ,then put semi on top of it.Thanks again

Comment

I understand, your spring line for the radius starts 2.5" above the floor.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                  John Ruskin

Comment

Yes sir, and thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
                      My mistake when you have a semi circular arch you in essence do not have sides or jambs as call them. Just would add 2.5 in. ,then put semi on top of it.Thanks again
                      "Jambs",............."Carpenter" huh,

It's all right by me. I grew up in a carpenter family. We built homes from the foundation up. That meant: footers, slab, septic tanks, fraiming, roofing, fireplaces, wiring, BBQ pits, etc. etc.

It ain't easy "meshing" all the "trade names" + the "local terms" in to my posts, as well .
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                        "Jambs",............."Carpenter" huh,

It's all right by me. I grew up in a carpenter family. We built homes from the foundation up. That meant: footers, slab, septic tanks, fraiming, roofing, fireplaces, wiring, BBQ pits, etc. etc.

It ain't easy "meshing" all the "trade names" + the "local terms" in to my posts, as well .
                        Gulf, actually I am a 32 yr. veteran mason building his first oven. Should be fun and go fairly quick for me. Building it at my summer home on weekends at a campground. Sorry about the construction slang, lol Wayne

Comment

I also like the appearance of a semicircular opening but I also wanted a large opening to allow me to slide turkeys and beer can chickens through the entry way. So I compromised...

I created a semicircular opening on the outer arch (where you can see it) and a shallower arch with vertical "jambs" on the inside to maximize my opening size. I think my inner arch is 12.5" tall x 20" wide (10" vertical jambs) and my outer semicircle is 13.5" tall x 22" wide.

Good luck and post some pictures.

Regards,
                          AT
                          Last edited by ATK406; 02-04-2014, 10:48 AM. Reason: to be nice.

Comment

Working...
                          X