Starting my WFO in N. Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting my WFO in N. Carolina

Had a bit of time today, so I picked up some block and mortar. Too cold to lay any for a few days. Just have some sitting there dry, to get an idea how it's going to look. Hope the weather warms up soon, so I can get back at it.
    My Build:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

You must be itching for warmer weather now. So, is the grade coming way up or are you building a step up landing to the oven?
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

I went as far back and as deep as I reasonably could w/the slab. Tree roots will always win, long term. I don't fight w/tree roots. When I hit a couple bigger ones, I stopped, then added about 6" of gravel on top of them. I also chopped out a few that might have been an issue later. So, I couldn't do any more than what I did, elevation wise. I will eventually build a step/landing in the front, but it will still be raised up from existing grade, about 12" or so. I'll just have a course or two less block to lay. As it looks right now, three courses high will be about right. If not, I can add either a 2" or 4" solid cap later. I put about 3/4" fall from back to front on the slab, for drainage during construction and so that the wood storage area has just a bit of fall, too. I plan to mortar in the base course to level up the foundation some. Also, the rear of the foundation will be buried about a foot (after final grading) and mortaring them will help. I should be able to make up the 3/4" with the mortar, but if not, I can adjust the top slab form work later a bit. From corner to corner of the block, it's probably more like 5/8". When I was unloading the truck yesterday, it was sleeting like crazy. I'm ready for spring, like most of us. How's your project coming along?
        My Build:

Comment

Which one?
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Your oven you were building at your place. Are you working on more than one oven? I haven't checked your build lately, but the last I remember, you were about to put on a slate roof, etc.
            My Build:

Comment

I can tell this is going to be a great build to watch - great progress and skill shown so far. Have you considered an opening at the back of the base too (or along the side)? I know you said you are planning to bury the foundation at the back so an opening at the back might be a bit problematic. I have found (and many others have commented on this too), a deep chamber under the oven that can only be accessed by crawling on hands and knees is not very practical.

Another alternative is to build a sliding drawer or cabinet that can be pulled out to access the contents stored under the oven. There are several recent builders that have done this too (e.g. rsandler and Gulf - off the top of my head). If the drawer would be cantilevered above the ground when it is pulled out, it would require some additional thought (engineering) to make it work. Food for thought…before the thought of food gets in the way .

Good Luck and keep posting your progress (pictures).
              Regards,
              AT
              Last edited by ATK406; 03-27-2014, 09:50 AM. Reason: thought of cantilever

Comment

Hi AT and thanks for the compliments. We have discussed this subject (storage under hearth, etc.) many times and we just don't have a need for it. For one thing, three sides are going to be landscaped and really inaccessible, for the most part. I am probably even going to partially eliminate the "normal" wood storage area. We have lots of storage nearby for all things we need and will probably just make a decorative ledge there at the front. Maybe have it inset 8-12 inches and have plants, etc there. We are leaning heavily towards doing a green/living roof on the WFO and plan to incorporate ledges in places to have some small "green wall" areas. I do appreciate your suggestions. They are creative and are very good ideas.
                My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by ATK406 View Post
                  ........Another alternative is to build a sliding drawer or cabinet that can be pulled out to access the contents stored under the oven. There are several recent builders that have done this too (e.g. rsandler and Gulf - off the top of my head). If the drawer would be cantilevered above the ground when it is pulled out, it would require some additional thought (engineering) to make it work. Food for thought?........
                  Sorry NCMan, I know you are not in the market for an under oven drawer.

AT,
                  I may have not stessed the point very well in my thread. But, there is currently about a five inch drop in front of my oven. There will still be at least a two and a half inch drop when the flooring is finished. I solved that problem, for me at least, with stock garage door tracking and hardware. My drawer pulls out easily to over 2/3rd's of the way .
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
                    Your oven you were building at your place. Are you working on more than one oven? I haven't checked your build lately, but the last I remember, you were about to put on a slate roof, etc.
                    Not working on another oven in a brick and mortar sense, but I do have two more different designs I am working on....another for me, one for a friend.

I haven't had time to wrap up my oven roof. I decided to nix the stone again, we are relocating soon and I need every extra minute I can get. So I'm back to cedar shakes for the sake of time management. Not what I wanted to do, but the whole oven has been a morphing, dynamic exercise of repurposing leftover stone and implementing flexible design ideas. I should have the roof done by the end of April though.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I understand. I'm sure the cedar will look just fine. Be sure and share some photos w/the rest of us when it's all done. Nice looking job. Very nice.
                      My Build:

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I'll post them on my thread, it's been a long time since anything was posted on there.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I do like the idea, it's just not what I need on my own oven. I'd love to see some pictures if you have any though, Gulf. This is all a learning experience for me and it'd be great to see what you've done. I have a good feeling that I'm going to be building another oven, for my neighbor. After mine is done, of course. He comes by alot wanting to see what's going on, etc. I do believe he's caught the WFO Fever. Your drawer idea may be something he'd want.
                          My Build:

Comment

Stonecutter......if you ever get up this way, I can hook you up w/some good apple, wild black cherry or hickory wood, if you're interested.
                            My Build:

Comment

I just may take you up on that. Our relocation possibilitys just expanded eastward
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Just let me know if and when you're in the area and have room for a bit of wood. I love it all, but for me, nothing compares to the apple wood for cooking/smoking. I've obviously never had the pleasure to cook w/it yet in a WFO, but am really, really looking forward to it.
                                My Build:

Comment

Working...
                                X