outdoor kitchen and oven base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: outdoor kitchen and oven base

Started Friday night by making a course of cuts. That way I did not wake everyone at 6:30 Saturday morning. Worked all day till 6:00 that evening, completed YES!!!!!! Sunday morning cut my plywood templates for the vent arch. Hopefully next Saturday I can complete that portion of my build. The toughest part, being the end of the day, was crawling on my back and fixing up the ceiling. Probably could of did a little better on plug but it will work. I needed to get the joints filled completely and get out of the dusty hole. Happy to be this far. I knew it would be a lot of cutting, the adjustable pitch/angle jig for my table saw worked great once the cuts were determined. Thanks to builders who came up with this great idea and the further improvements made to it.

Comment

Congrats on plugging the dome, nice work.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Beehiver, thanks for the compliment, have a question for you. Clay flue size relative to dome size? Looked at your build and many others. Dura vent and s.steel seem to be the choice of most. Do not recall if you used clay but you have been on here a lot longer so maybe you know someone with the clay flue type chimney, tell me what you know. Thanks Wayne

Comment

I have only used clay flues to this point with all my ovens. 8x8 on the latest one, but it's only a 33" diameter. You should go 10x10 or 8"round if you can get it. 8x8 will work too, if need be.....the throat needs to be sized accordingly.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

Stonecutter, by me what is available, without ordering, are OD measurements of 8x8, 12x8, 12 x12, 12 x16, etc. In your opinion is a 12x8, ID 10 1/2 x 6 1/2 too big? Isn't an 8 in round smaller than an 8 x 8?

Comment

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
              Stonecutter, by me what is available, without ordering, are OD measurements of 8x8, 12x8, 12 x12, 12 x16, etc. In your opinion is a 12x8, ID 10 1/2 x 6 1/2 too big? Isn't an 8 in round smaller than an 8 x 8?
              Nope, not for a 42" oven.

8" round has a larger effective inside diameter than an 8x8 sq ( ID-7.5x7.5)... No dead spots.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I defer to SC, I used SS chimney.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

My square flu has dead spots , but they don't know that they are dead..............

My pompeii oven is 44". The ID of my chimney is approximately 7 1/2" X 7 1/2". There may be other factors at work Including, my oven entry, heighth of chimney, smoke chamber etc. But, she don't smoke..................unless I forget to open then damper .
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                    My square flu has dead spots , but they don't know that they are dead..............

My pompeii oven is 44". The ID of my chimney is approximately 7 1/2" X 7 1/2". There may be other factors at work Including, my oven entry, heighth of chimney, smoke chamber etc. But, she don't smoke..................unless I forget to open then damper .
                    Not really 'dead' in the sense that the corners aren't exhausting gases...just that they are not in the effective zone of the flue shape. Volume wise, that's where a taller chimney helps with draw. Obviously, you have enough height to create a nice draw. That, and your throat is big enough.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I was wondering the same question. For a 42" oven given the option of a 6" Stainless or an 8" go with the 8?

I will soon be there and need to start buying the parts.

Campmaki your dome is REALLY nice....great job.
                      I am envious of your arch. I could not cut the brick nor did I have precut. Working from a 10 inch saw would not allow the kind of precision cut I needed to pull off that arch.

You are so close to cooking. I am jealous haha.
                      Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

The 8" is what you need.
                        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Here here.....
                          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

After doing some searching, I found 8 x8 flues that I was told were that size ID. Decided to go that route but get to the supplier and they are only 6 1/2 x 6 1/2. I decided to go with an 8 x 12 which has an inside measurement of 5 3/4 x 9 3/4. This will work fine with a smooth throat and 4 feet of this size flue. It has a square in. area of a little over 56. Were as a true inside 8x8 would be 64 sq in.
                            Last edited by Campmaki; 06-04-2014, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
                              After doing some searching, I found 8 x8 flues that I was told were that size ID. Decided to go that route but get to the supplier and they are only 6 1/2 x 6 1/2. I decided to go with an 8 x 12 which has an inside measurement of 5 3/4 x 9 3/4. This will work fine with a smooth throat and 4 feet of this size flue. It has a square in. area of a little over 56. Were as a true inside 8x8 would be 64 sq in.
                              Built a flared semi circular vent this Saturday. Got antsy and pulled the template later that night. Flue opening is 5 3/4 x 9 3/4. Did not put the flue in place because I did not want to chance the extra weight on top the fresh arch. I did light a few pieces of paper toweling to see the draw. Worked really well. This morning I set flue on top of throat and lit some more paper. The draft was even better. Pictures will follow next weekend, as I start to think about curing the oven.

Comment

Yay another semi circle fared arch.
                                Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Working...
                                X