X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leetheldc
    replied
    Re: 7 years in the waiting i get to start my 42" pompeii

well what a nasty couple of weeks of weather here in hull so i had to give up on the fires and put up temporary roof no. 3 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2832[1].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	307916 and i was up every morning for a week re stapling at 5.30 after the nights wind did its damage it was no fun at all. a little calmer today so im going to forget the fires and get my roof done so i need to get both my oven chimney and bbq/firplace chimney up and out of roof hight so back to the brick work. im going for a bonded arch sort of vault stlye to finish the vent area with a full brick front and 2 piece bond (if thats the right term) with just half brick at the back as you can see in the pic i have to forms of different hight to take this Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2827[1].JPG
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	307917 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2828[1].JPG
Size:	524.8 KB
ID:	307918 i also got some blanket in there hopefuly give something for the vault to roll over. im cuting all the bricks so proberly a days cutting and drying tomorrow this is just one of 3 stye cuts il have to do Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2834[1].JPG
Size:	500.3 KB
ID:	307919 il be using the sthil saw so it will take a while and start the noisy neighbour ball rolling again for another half a year or so! i made a jig to mark them all from a bit of chipboard Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2837[1].JPG
Size:	582.1 KB
ID:	307920

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

These ovens seem to draw very well so it is easy for the fire to get bigger than intended and you end up with flames curling around the dome in no time.

David

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Slow and steady on your fires, Lee. Although yours has had ample time to dry out, at least some. I think what you're doing is good. You can't really go too slow w/the fires, but you can go too fast. Glad you got the WFO bug again.

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

Dave I always hibernate in the winter as a groundworker I've done 15 years of cold winters one of wich was in shorts for the full duration from summer one year to the next for a poor ass bet and my knees nowadays dont warm up until 9 at night! plus my next building stages of the oven are the blanket and verm and I don't trust our winters with any concrete above ground especially on the oven. I do love bricklaying i have bricked up a few manholes and gullys in my time but never anything like this it has bean a total pleasure to build so far though. I'm getting the bug back now Carl so il keep the posts coming I've set up another fire today and not really sure how big it should be as I'm on day 3 ish of the drying should it be bigger guys?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	307782

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Lee......sounds like you are on your way! Keep us posted, ok? I also love the look of your project. Very nice!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day Lee
    It's great to hear you come out from winter... Fired up.
    It's going to be good to see the results of your outdoor kitchen. You have certainly become the regular little bricklayer now. And you bricklaying skills are certainly going ahead.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

Thanks Carl's it good to be back! Got another fire going last night had the dome well saturated to around 350f on the Ir but had to cut it short as the heavens opened up had to pull the tarp over keep the oven dry did manage to keep fire going for 3 hours though closed up the door and let the heat do its thing and even out. hopefully get another fire in there tonight and take the temp up abit. I am so pleased that I changed my vent as it draws fantastic it's great to look up from underneath the vent to see how the smoke channels up there with nothing coming out the front at all you can see the soot here up the vent and so far the clean outside arch. Click image for larger version

Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	307775

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Hi Lee. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new oven. I hope things settle down a bit for you now. Welcome back.

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

Make shit door made left to cook for 2 hours thermometer reading 368f when door on Click image for larger version

Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	307748. Didn't get chance to photo the end product wolfed it down. I've made this dish same recipe for years and this was another level perfect smokey flavour even noticed by my 3 year old. I can see and distantly taste good things from this oven hopefully next fire tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

Thanks gulf and you are right that smell was too much not to cook on so I dragged some embers to the front and started a Bolognese see how it turns out

Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	307738

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Congratulations Lee,

I know that you are not going to waiste all of that wood on drying the oven alone. What's for lunch? Enjoy the oven .
    Last edited by Gulf; 03-22-2015, 06:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

Bellowing like a good 'n' Click image for larger version

Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	307736

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

I got another fire going this morning hopefully be able to keep this one going for 6 hours I dry stacked a few fire on the chimney to get a bit of a draw my chimney will be about 3 times higher when finished and theses few dry stacked ones are working a treat not much smoke out the front at all I used a mix off soft wood a little Apple wood I've been drying and some chucks of oak which have just perfumed my garden beautifully and me! Click image for larger version

Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	307735

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

Hi guys I've had a long spell away from the oven due to what life can throw at you and then the winter hit so I covered up the oven with tarps and yesterday finaly striped them off my temporary roof took a good hammering so I took that down too. So I thought while I have the chance I would start to do a few curing fires my mortar has now had months to do its own curing so do I still need to follow the curing regime from the plans? I took the fire to 300f today for an hour or so but something came up I had to go out and had to let it die. Also do I need to let the oven cool completely before the next raised temp fire? Really looking forward to getting going on the oven again it's been to long!

This is the first time my oven has seen fire I think it liked it!

Size:	569.3 KB
ID:	307726

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

i got everything mortared together just ran out of mix for the anchor plate so il just use the high temp seal i used on the heat break to set it tomorrow looks a little crazy from the outside but everything is tied in and hopefuly strong and none of this will be seen Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2435[1].JPG
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	306453

Name:	IMG_2437[1].JPG
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	306454

Name:	IMG_2436[1].JPG