Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david s
    replied
    I've never used a set up like that to apply the vermicrete. It looks like a good idea, but involves a lot of work to set it up. I've done lots of ovens with the vermicrete layer and i'm pretty used to it, but i've never had a problem getting a really true spherical form, although in my build I have some protruding wire ties which work like a depth gauge. tapping the mix with the flat of the trowel and eyeballing the profile produces a very spherical form. I like to add a little powdered clay to a 10:1 vermicrete mix which helps to make it workable. The amount of water added is very important. Keep adding water until it just begins to pool at the bottom of your barrow or mixing bucket. Approx one third of the volume of vermiculite should be water although the finer the grade the more water is required.

Start at the base and make sure you leave the top flat so you can add the next layer on to it. As soon as the layer starts to lean in against the dome it becomes much easier. I prefer to apply it with hands, but make sure you wear rubber gloves or you'll regret it the next day.
    Last edited by david s; 09-30-2016, 11:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• thevance53@gmail.com
    replied
    what is suggested if you don't have overhead structure to support the guide/form? I have made a template for the shape, but hard to keep it true if there is nothing holding it at the top. Any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Nice looking set up. Coming together very well.

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied
    I Finally have a garden after 3 years of mess! Still some posts to oil and my gutters to fit and the countertops to make but the to do list is getting shorter. Picked up some white cement and sharp sand to mix with my metallic pigments for some test pieces
    Last edited by leetheldc; 09-30-2016, 03:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Alomran
    replied
    Originally posted by leetheldc View Post
    This pic hopefully shows how my 3rd edge is I kept it behind the trowel and it never showed when I moved the trowel round
    What ratio of mixture did you use? What is the mixture for the insulative materials?
    Nice perfect shape, hav'nt seen one as perfect as this...well done

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied
    Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Concrete and metallic pigments are a new concept for me. I'm looking forward to your progress.
    They are for me too I've had some samples sent so I can have a play with them I'm not sure if they will work as I can't find anything online and these pigments are for epoxy mixes but worth a try I also got some small mother of pearl chippings for a tester and a number load of sliced shells I also got the forms for the counters made up with my father in law last weekend bit of a jigsaw they just need taping and sealing but they are now stored in the garage on the back burner as I have 2 weeks off work to get all the paving done a true holiday!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Concrete and metallic pigments are a new concept for me. I'm looking forward to your progress.

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied
    Thanks for your comments guys I must say this was a slow but very rewarding process to do. And so worth the effort. I've sent for a few samples of the metallic pigment for the concrete counters the company say it should work in concrete. hopefully they send me enough to make a few small test pieces I also got them to send me some mother of pearl aggregate and some mirror glassto try out.This the company they do some crazy stuff. http://www.boud.com/products/metalli...igment-powders

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Well done, good example for future builders.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Ditto! They don't get any rounder than that .

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Lee, that is quite a fantastic job you did on the vermicrete - it looks like a perfect hemisphere!

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied
    Next job then is countertops I've got the father in law helping me next weekend with the forms so I need to get some melamine sorted out. i still really don't have a clue what I want though there are to many options I do really like the metallic pigments but I can't seem to find one that will work in concrete they all seem to be for epoxy. More googling required I suppose

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied
    Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Lee,

+2 on the "Nice job" You are now offically in the club . Two courses are a gracious plenty for an evenings work. On the two days that I did 4 and 3 courses consecutively, it was full days . Also, I knew that it would be several days before I would get another chance to work on it. That sort of lit a fire under my butt . You have broken over from the vertical. Each course is a shorter run and the hill is not quite as steep.
    Is that the - Idiots that like to pi£s about club!
    I know what you mean about it getting easier as
    I Finlay managed to get topped out with vermicrete I got a spare hour or so yesterday so I got one course done then today finished up with the well earned empty beer of choice for the vent plug

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Lee,

+2 on the "Nice job" You are now offically in the club . Two courses are a gracious plenty for an evenings work. On the two days that I did 4 and 3 courses consecutively, it was full days . Also, I knew that it would be several days before I would get another chance to work on it. That sort of lit a fire under my butt . You have broken over from the vertical. Each course is a shorter run and the hill is not quite as steep.

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied
    All due to that trowel my friend what a God send and the swing profile of course!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X