X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leetheldc
    replied
    Re: 7 years in the waiting i get to start my 42" pompeii

Ahh great thanks thanks Russell put my mind at rest I can sleep now! been worrying all night about the size of the vent

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Coming along nicely. Chimney vent size good, 92 square inches (11.5 X 8), 8 inch round vent pipe (Pi x radius sq - for a 42" oven) is 50.2 square inches.

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

well since my last post today is the only chance ive had to do anything at all to the oven, spent the whole day completing the outer arch, made a form 2 inch bigger than my inner arch form for the reveal my opening ended up 11 1/2 inch by 8 inch i hope this is big enougth Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2202[1].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	629.3 KB
ID:	305648

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2203[1].JPG
Size:	628.8 KB
ID:	305649

Name:	IMG_2204[1].JPG
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	305650

Name:	IMG_2206[1].JPG
Size:	593.6 KB
ID:	305651

Name:	IMG_2207[1].JPG
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	305652

Name:	IMG_2208[1].JPG
Size:	860.1 KB
ID:	305653

i removed the form about 20 mins after the last brick was laid you can see in the pic not to much to clean up the last pic is the heat break il fill that tomorrow with the fire rope

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

Have I just answered my own question there was the cut so had something to stuff the rope too?

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

Just a quick question about the arch break did you stuff one length of rope in there or more to fill all the gap? Also joe why did you L cut the arch bricks to make a gap on the top side of dome arch and not just the front ?

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

Great point about leaving the forms on beeing a groundworker I'm a sucker for whipping the forms off conc as soon as it's set so il hold well off on that until it's all complete. I've just had a look at it today and it's still quite soft to touch when pressed is this normal? I covered over with a towel not directly on the vcrete but over as soon as I finished and left it on until I checked today I've left it on. Joe I've got a garden like a building site ! Bombs hit it style I think il find something to do while I wait !

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Lee,

I would let the vcrete dry as long as possible before building on it. Not, that it wont stand the weight, but to let it dry. Once it is covered, that is it, until the drying fires. Though, the moisture can be driven out during that stage, it will take several more firings.

You can use the extra time to lay out your oven flloor and entry. That and a couple of courses of brick can be cut, and dry fitted. And no matter how long you let the vcrete dry, like NCMan said, leave the forms on as long as you can. That will protect the corners form chipping during construction .

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Lee......I don't have much experience w/vcrete. I used perlcrete, but it should be similar. When I was building, I asked the same question and was told a few days or even right away if you left the forms on. I guess the forms help hold the edges together. I waited about a week, but only because I wanted to. Temps make a difference, but my guess is a few days. Maybe someone who knows the material way better than me will offer some advice. Lots of very experienced folks on here.

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

Hi guys I got the v-Crete down for the arch area strange stuff to work with that is and put an order in for 8 mm fire rope, 2 mm x 40 mm tape, and a beige high temp sealant should be here by Wednesday how long does this v-Crete take to set to lay on? Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	657.4 KB
ID:	305398

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Originally posted by leetheldc View Post
    this is all just proof in the pudding for me i can get the tape and rope for little money here in england so it just makes sence to do it mcman is the tape 2 inch deep and basically just a flat rope?
    Yes.....mine is 2" x 1/8" and is basically a flat rope, as you say.

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

this is all just proof in the pudding for me i can get the tape and rope for little money here in england so it just makes sence to do it mcman is the tape 2 inch deep and basically just a flat rope?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

My sentiments exactly, NCMan

Even if they are thought of only as an expasion joint, a heatbreak is a "win-win" addition to an oven. And that does look like the tape that I used. It doesn't leave a very large gap, but it gave me some great results.

Here is a pic of a nasty grease stain which crossed my oven floor's heat break.

Name:	Heatbreak Temps3 003.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	546.8 KB
ID:	305365

This is what it looked like after the next weekends firing. I fired a little longer for that one. You can see that the grease stains, up to the heatbreak, are gone!

Name:	Grilledcorn 004.JPG
Size:	470.7 KB
ID:	305366Click image for larger version

Name:	Grilledcorn 001.JPG
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	305368

Also, there is a noticeable heat drop across heatbreak. But, even part of that temperature outside of the heatbreak can be attributed to radiant heat.

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Lee......here is a photo of what I plan to use. And thinking back about it now, I believe I originally got the idea from Gulf. His and a handful of other Builds are ones I studied (alot) before starting mine.

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Originally posted by leetheldc View Post
    yes mc man i agree there ive followed many builds here with both floor and arch breaks and left the decision unitil now which is why i didnt cut the last floor bricks maybe the stainless steel flat bar like russell in utah did or even more simple like gulfs he just posted i suppose if this stops it i should deffinatly install one
    I plan to do something similar to what Gulf did. I bought some ceramic fiber reinforced strip to place in the floor, between the hearth bricks and the vent bricks. I don't think heat breaks make a huge difference, but definitely worth doing. As I stated earlier, I look at the bigger picture, w/the breaks having multiple uses, such as giving a place for expansion and structural isolation from the two masonry structures. To me, it's a win-win. Done correctly, there is no downside of using breaks. Only upside.

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

you too ncman thanks again for your help!
    Last edited by leetheldc; 03-27-2015, 12:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X