42" Build Underway in Central Alabama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" Build Underway in Central Alabama

Rain in the forecast every day for the next 10 days! And Thursday of last week we finished up 12 straight days of rain - about half of that was severe thunderstorms with significant rainfall amounts. We have already received over 40 inches of rain, and are only supposed to get 54 inches for the entire year.

But after going through several years of drought, I'm not going to complain about the rain! Just would be nice to have a couple of dry days...and to get a little more work done on the oven.

Comment

Good practice to pitch the sub grade. Bummer of a forecast.....
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
        Good practice to pitch the sub grade........
        Sub-grade foundations in our area require French drains. But most of the home builders just drop them in place and don't bother with slope of the drain pipe. I realize that just having the pipe there should relieve water pressure against the foundation. But it seems to make more sense to slope it for drainage.

Our (part-time) building inspector has not come by yet. At this time, we are only required to buy a permit for commercial or habitable residential structures. I'll bet he comes by anyway....

Comment

Updates and more photos: We poured the hearth and kept it moist for a week.

We utilized the Sakrete Maximizer as discussed. We cooled buckets of water with ice to try to prevent the forewarned flash setting potential of this product - and it worked. We had no issues with mixing and pouring the Maximizer - it was actually very enjoyable to work with...other than finishing it (not super important for the hearth). But when I tried to trowel it the aggregate is so lightweight that it almost wants to float at the surface...making it almost impossible to get a good finish.

Framed up to support cement board:

1/2" cement board:

Rebar and forms in place (with cargo straps):

Maximizer hearth:

Comment

Front view while hearth is curing:

Pavers - woohoo!

My son removing hearth supports:

"Testing" the hearth (actually I was trying to catch a short nap!):

Comment

Daughter marking outline for insulating layer:

Formed up for 4" insulating layer (on top of 6 mil poly to enhance cure):

Vermicucrete poured and finished (somewhat):

Comment

Tarps and form pulled after 7 days:

Moistened and covered back up for more cure time:

Comment

Looks great! neighbor.
                  Keep the posts and the pics coming .
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                    Looks great! neighbor.
                    Keep the posts and the pics coming .
                    Thanks Gulf - I am really inspired by your oven (the great craftsmanship...and the drawer...and the roof...it just goes on and on).

I just acquired some garage door track from a neighbor, and have some rollers on the way from a coworker. So it looks like I'll be building a drawer too.

Comment

Looks good! I did it the other way around and poured concrete around the outside and filled the 'keyhole' with vermicrete. I expect it is a matter of choice and how you intend to finish the oven. I did the igloo.

Look forward to watching your progress, you are off to a great start.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

As always, thanks for the comments and tips.

Now that we are back from a fantastic holiday trip to the Gulf Coast, I was able to get back on track today with the oven construction!

Laid out the brick floor and applied my template:

I have no experience cutting brick - learning as I go...

Comment

Wow you are on your way to a very strong, technically perfect build. Keep it going. I too had never cut a brick before....bordering on Expert now haha.

This is a fun journey you are embarking on. Nice to have your daughter interested as well. Not something she will likely forget.

Keep the pics coming..
                          Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Great start with the floor and base. Gonna be following your build closely. Yes, Gulf's build is a good baseline to follow.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies and encouraging words!

Originally posted by Novaslo View Post
                              Wow you are on your way to a very strong, technically perfect build. Keep it going. I too had never cut a brick before....bordering on Expert now haha.

This is a fun journey you are embarking on. Nice to have your daughter interested as well. Not something she will likely forget.

Keep the pics coming..
                              "technically perfect" probably won't be achieved in our build - but it's a great goal! I think our oven will be "family perfect"...and I am looking forward to the times we can use it. And, by the way, my wife and all three of our teenagers have been involved so far - they just haven't all made the photos. Yes, it has been hard but fun work so far...

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                                Great start with the floor and base. Gonna be following your build closely. Yes, Gulf's build is a good baseline to follow.
                                Thanks! Regarding Gulf's build and my comments, I'm sure there are other builds out there that deserve similar accolades. But I've studied Gulf's photos and build in depth. I just haven't had time to study the others (yet).

Comment

Working...
                                X