Yet another curing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another curing question

Ok, so my dome had been completed about 1 month ago and had been drying it with light bulbs in it.
    I cemented the flue yesterday and will be encasing it with bricks.
    The question is should I wait 1 week after I am done with any cementing around the flue before using charcoal or it is ok to start with charcoal in the dome while I still work around the flue?
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/yannic...7644224444113/

Re: Yet another curing question

Yannik,

Much of the heat inside the dome will be exhausting through the flu you know causing the flu to get hot. If the cementing around the flu had some moisture it is likely to crack. I would go with waiting all the cement (even around the flu) to dry well before starting to cure.
    Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
    I forgot who said that.

Comment

How long would you air dry things before the first small fire?
      Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Originally posted by Yannick View Post
        Ok, so my dome had been completed about 1 month ago and had been drying it with light bulbs in it.
        I cemented the flue yesterday and will be encasing it with bricks.
        The question is should I wait 1 week after I am done with any cementing around the flue before using charcoal or it is ok to start with charcoal in the dome while I still work around the flue?
        The small amount of mortar you used to set the flue doesn't need a week to cure. Also, it's going to crack (a certainty) no matter how long you wait, because the dome is going to expand differently than the flue.

Fire away and keep building.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
          ................ Also, it's going to crack (a certainty) no matter how long you wait, because the dome is going to expand differently than the flue..............
          Another way to help legitimize a heatbreak,................is to think of it as an expansion joint .
          Last edited by Gulf; 06-26-2014, 07:34 PM.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
            Another way to help legitimize a heatbreak,................is to think of it as an expansion joint .

In certain places it's not optional like a break between the vent and oven opening......like when the flue comes through the crown of the chimney.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

In certain places it's not optional like a break between the vent and oven opening......like when the flue comes through the crown of the chimney.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (27).JPG
Views:	3
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	305129

Maybe,..... not practical but, definately optional
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Well, I guess everything is optional. What I mean is, not optional if you don't want a cracked flue (clay)...not stainless.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Not quite I separated my vent flute from the dome with heat break and insulation even though I wrapped it around the dome entry arch. Substantial difference in temperature still bloody got though.
                  Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                    Not quite I separated my vent flute from the dome with heat break and insulation even though I wrapped it around the dome entry arch. Substantial difference in temperature still bloody got though.
                    It is optional in that with or without a break, the masonry isn't subjected to damaging expansion. Stopping heat from migrating into the vent masonry is optional, is not detrimental, and the performance gains are minimal.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

It is optional in that with or without a break, the masonry isn't subjected to damaging expansion. Stopping heat from migrating into the vent masonry is optional, is not detrimental, and the performance gains are minimal.
                      But, will improve "greatly" after all is dry .

Comment

Working...
                      X