size of the reveal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• size of the reveal

Almost done with the dome, so I'm planning the reveal, and am hoping to get more comments than if I posted this on my thread. I had previously thought I'd leave a 1". But then I was thinking...if the reveal were as wide as possible (without leaving a gap between the dome arch and vent arch, so smoke wouldn't escape) then the door could be bigger, therefore providing more insulation to cover the arch bricks. I suppose if I wanted, I could make the door with 3" of insulation, so there would be less heat loss with the door on. I also figured a wider reveal would make it easier to maneuver into the oven at different angles. Does this all make sense?
    Here's mine:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...man-15992.html

Re: size of the reveal

Jim.....just a thought, but have you considered a heat break between your arches? The gap gets sealed up later, so you'd have no smoke escaping. As for the reveal, I plan to leave about 2 1/2" showing on mine, mainly for the reasons you mentioned.
    Last edited by NCMan; 07-27-2014, 06:10 PM. Reason: Text
    My Build:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Right, forgot to mention I have also planned a 1/2" heat break all around the dome arch.
      Here's mine:

Comment

Helped one mate build an oven and we left about an inch. He says he wishes we'd left more so he can come in at more of an angle.

Comment

If you flare your entryway a bit, it should afford easy access into all of the 'corners' of your oven. A 1.25" reveal is plenty big enough to insert/remove my door, which is an inch wider than my 20" oven opening.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
            Helped one mate build an oven and we left about an inch. He says he wishes we'd left more so he can come in at more of an angle.
            I have heard that same comment from more than one WFO owner, including a guy that builds WFO's, fabricates doors and is actually a Forno Bravo Dealer here in the area. That's where I got the idea to make the reveal larger. Plus, in most cases, it makes your smoke chamber/throat larger, which is a good thing. Yet another "win-win" in my opinion.
            My Build:

Comment

I have an inch of reveal, with a slightly flared entryway so that I can easily get my door in and out.

My door is 2 inches thick and filled with insulation. If I place the door on the oven immediately after I am done cooking, then 3 days later my oven is still at 300 degrees. I guess a bigger reveal with more insulation would give you even better heat storage but I'm not sure how much benefit this would be!

Comment

I guess a bigger reveal with more insulation would give you even better heat storage but I'm not sure how much benefit this would be
                I agree. Sure, presumably the more door insulation one has is better, but I think the heat loss would emanate from the exposed metal door surface. Theoretically, the more surface area (including reveal) one has, the more potential heat loss. That is, unless the exposed surface has an insulated pad covering it. I've committed to making one out of leftover CF blanket sewn into welding blanket material, but not sure how soon I can get to it.

Comment

Hi Jim

Check my build out. Will post the thread post number later. I built a flared arch like John but my reveal is 4"looks great provides a greater landing area. I also rebated the bricks around the entry arch.

I have never understood why most go with a 1ish " reveal.
                  Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

The most important issue is really not the size of the reveal but more important that you have one. Do what size works for you.
                    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-29-2014, 05:34 AM.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Interesting John, about heat loss through larger reveal. Haven't noticed any at all but my entry arch is almost a full brick in length. With door on even my makeshift, for the external temperature of my reveal is ambient.
                      Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-28-2014, 03:56 PM.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                        The most important issue is really not the size of the reveal but more important that you have one. Do what size work for you.
                        Well said, Russell. I totally agree.
                        My Build:

Comment

Hmmm...so a larger reveal can be covered up with more insulation when using a door. But like Gianni said, even an insulated door will transfer heat through the metal. I guess the bottom line is not to drive myself crazy trying to make it perfect. Wait, am I still talking about my oven?
                          Last edited by jimkramer; 07-28-2014, 08:01 PM.
                          Here's mine:

Comment

Don't believe the reveal needs insulation. I have separated my outer landing owner arch so it does not connect to the entry arch. Insulation and a gap was used to achieve this
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

Interesting John, about heat loss through larger reveal
                              Oops! That didn't come out right. What I meant to say was that a larger reveal would invite a larger exposed door surface, hence the propensity for a greater heat loss than a smaller door. I don't think a reveal needs insulation either.

Comment

Working...
                              X