X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tonybaker
    replied
    Re: size of the reveal

the reveal gives you a seal so it should be around 2 inches. My door is 1/4 inch steel plate with a leg that allows me to hold it closed against the reveal. Very simple! I also used 3/4 inch asbestos rope in between the dome and the smoke chamber to act as a barrier to heat transfer. I tried all sorts of doors, but find the steel one the best, it's so easy to make. You don't need to insulate it as there is plenty of heat in the oven and it does get hot but the handle/prop keeps reasonably cool. Just watch where you put it down though!

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Thought so...

My door will only have a 1" reveal. But built in a way that no metal penetrates from inside the oven.
    Same here. When built, my door will overlap the oven arch by perhaps 1-1 1/2". I like the larger reveal for looks, like yours, as well as having a larger smoke chamber and as you said earlier, a larger landing area. That's it.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Thought so...

My door will only have a 1" reveal. But built in a way that no metal penetrates from inside the oven.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Interesting John, about heat loss through larger reveal
    Oops! That didn't come out right. What I meant to say was that a larger reveal would invite a larger exposed door surface, hence the propensity for a greater heat loss than a smaller door. I don't think a reveal needs insulation either.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Don't believe the reveal needs insulation. I have separated my outer landing owner arch so it does not connect to the entry arch. Insulation and a gap was used to achieve this

Leave a comment:

• jimkramer
    replied

Hmmm...so a larger reveal can be covered up with more insulation when using a door. But like Gianni said, even an insulated door will transfer heat through the metal. I guess the bottom line is not to drive myself crazy trying to make it perfect. Wait, am I still talking about my oven?
    Last edited by jimkramer; 07-28-2014, 08:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    The most important issue is really not the size of the reveal but more important that you have one. Do what size work for you.
    Well said, Russell. I totally agree.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Interesting John, about heat loss through larger reveal. Haven't noticed any at all but my entry arch is almost a full brick in length. With door on even my makeshift, for the external temperature of my reveal is ambient.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-28-2014, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

The most important issue is really not the size of the reveal but more important that you have one. Do what size works for you.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-29-2014, 05:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi Jim

Check my build out. Will post the thread post number later. I built a flared arch like John but my reveal is 4"looks great provides a greater landing area. I also rebated the bricks around the entry arch.

I have never understood why most go with a 1ish " reveal.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

I guess a bigger reveal with more insulation would give you even better heat storage but I'm not sure how much benefit this would be
    I agree. Sure, presumably the more door insulation one has is better, but I think the heat loss would emanate from the exposed metal door surface. Theoretically, the more surface area (including reveal) one has, the more potential heat loss. That is, unless the exposed surface has an insulated pad covering it. I've committed to making one out of leftover CF blanket sewn into welding blanket material, but not sure how soon I can get to it.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

I have an inch of reveal, with a slightly flared entryway so that I can easily get my door in and out.

My door is 2 inches thick and filled with insulation. If I place the door on the oven immediately after I am done cooking, then 3 days later my oven is still at 300 degrees. I guess a bigger reveal with more insulation would give you even better heat storage but I'm not sure how much benefit this would be!

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
    Helped one mate build an oven and we left about an inch. He says he wishes we'd left more so he can come in at more of an angle.
    I have heard that same comment from more than one WFO owner, including a guy that builds WFO's, fabricates doors and is actually a Forno Bravo Dealer here in the area. That's where I got the idea to make the reveal larger. Plus, in most cases, it makes your smoke chamber/throat larger, which is a good thing. Yet another "win-win" in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

If you flare your entryway a bit, it should afford easy access into all of the 'corners' of your oven. A 1.25" reveal is plenty big enough to insert/remove my door, which is an inch wider than my 20" oven opening.

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Helped one mate build an oven and we left about an inch. He says he wishes we'd left more so he can come in at more of an angle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X