Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 36" Oven in Salt Lake City

Hello-

I've finally stopped putting off building the WFO and now I've finally started. I've been on hiatus waiting for materials to arrive and now I'm sitting out recovering from nose/sinus surgery. But I'm also finally to the point where I need the help of all the pioneers on this site. I've spent so much time reading about all the amazing WFOs here, I want to put in the work and become the master. I know there are some fantastic projects here in Salt Lake, so hopefully I will have local help if I need.

My goal is ambitious. I wasn't going to build this year, but we've decided to go for it. The plan is to have it ready in time for our wedding...in mid-October. Right now I'm thinking it's a long shot, but I'm going to give it a go.

Re: New 36" Oven in Salt Lake City

I've done alot of reading and looking at other builds on this site, and I'm questioning my firebrick. I picked it up locally and the place says it's rated to 2000+ degrees F but they only weigh in at about 5.5 lbs. And they seem a bit grainy/sandy to me. Is it just me or should I shop around more?

Comment

Good luck on Mid-October. When I started, I thought it would take me a month. It took me 9 months of weekends and evenings. Granted, I am not the quickest builder.

My advice is: "Get started....take your time....think it through....and do it right".

Comment

Thanks jeep. I know the chances of October are slim but we'll see. I was going to just go for it and rush it, but I want this to be beautiful. So it's done when it's done.

It's driving me crazy right now to just be sitting around, waiting for materials and watching the grass grow.

Comment

I am about halfway through my build at 3 months and 5 days. Working a full-time job and having three teenage kids consumes much of my time. But when I've had time, I've devoted it to building the oven - and trying to keep the family involved in the project.

There are many, many variables that could impact the timeline. Complexity or simplicity of design, ease of access to materials, weather, etc. Cure times for slabs, mortar and dome overall will also impact timeline.

I say go for it, if you are successful that's great. If not, you can still get it completed later. I can't see how anyone would regret it.

Comment

I've actually finished up the stand, counter, etc. I'm waiting for the ceramic FB to show up so I can move on to the next step. I picked up some firebricks but I'm a little worried now after looking at so many builds. These bricks are only about 5.5 lbs and seem a little grainy/sandy. They don't really resemble many of the firebricks I've seen in pictures. That said, the local supply guy said they are medium duty. Should I shop around or do these look OK?

Comment

Those look like fire brick but I would find out the manufacturer and get a spec sheet. Mine were made by Whitacre Greer - are fairly standard size (9"x4.5"x2.25")and weigh about 7.5 lbs. ea. The size would also (obviously) affect weight.

Comment

I'll call and ask for one, definitely. The size is 9"x4.5"x2.5" but I'm just a little concerned with the light weight and the texture. These cost me $1.67 each and the next cheapest place I've found is $1.87 but they are 9"x4.5"x3.5". I've found a couple other local supplies but the price doubles or more from there on out.

Comment

They look like firebrick to me. You should be fine. Save the best ones for the floor and the back half of the dome. Any chipped for the front half of the dome.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by theboos View Post
                    Hello-

My goal is ambitious. I wasn't going to build this year, but we've decided to go for it. The plan is to have it ready in time for our wedding...in mid-October. Right now I'm thinking it's a long shot, but I'm going to give it a go.
                    Theboos, Check with Theboss and see if she will help you with the build .
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf, that's too funny but definitely true. She's a trooper, was out there every night with me setting blocks and pouring concrete. I think I'll keep her.

Beautiful oven project you have, I enjoyed going through your pictures. Can't wait to get some of your advice. I have to say, you should maybe have just built a new home around your oven. I think it would have been the same amount of work .

Comment

Originally posted by theboos View Post
                        ......She's a trooper, was out there every night with me setting blocks and pouring concrete. I think I'll keep her.......... Can't wait to get some of your advice.
                        OK, here is my advice: Try, very hard, not to loose this one.,,,,,,,, She is a keeper .
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Mine took 3 months of straight weekend and some weeknight work. It was a ton of fun and a TON of work.

I am still not done but can't stop cooking long enough to work on it lol.

Take a week off and you can probably get it done.
                          Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Thanks for the input. I've got the next week off, so I'm going to try to make some serious progress. I'm trying to get my saw jig and IT built. I'm kind of struggling with my IT since all the options I can think of involve a weld somewhere and I really don't want to buy a welder.

Comment

I have to give a huge shout out and thank you to Russell for taking the time to meet with me yesterday and let me see his oven, he's a real stand up guy. It's even more amazing in person. Thanks Russell for all the great advice and for the two gifts. I will definitely make the most of them.

Oh, and I made it out to the freight surplus. The whole store was 60% off, I ended up buying two 36" x 6" chimneys. Unbelievable the price I paid

Comment

Working...
                              X