Out of work Pizza Man's 42" Build in NJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Out of work Pizza Man's 42" Build in NJ

I have been working hard to get this oven dome done. I have almost completed 6 courses and the soldier course, for a total of 7. Things appear to be going well. I installed the opening archway. I cut the archway bricks using Amac's "3 cut" advice (I actually measured the lines of the cut on my computer monitor and converted for my brick size to figure out exactly how to cut). Thank you to everyone who has contributed. I used design ideas from many other builds. Overall, the build is a little sloppy. Wish I would have scraped off the mortar from the inside of the soldier course. I let it dry and it is extremely difficult to remove now unless I use my angle grinder. What will that mortar do once the oven gets fired up?

Take a look at my pics.

Comment

Here are more progress pics.

Comment

It is a little difficult to tell from your pics but it appears that the angle that your IT is setting your bricks is a little less than what is needed to avoid the bottom of the brick protruding from the course below it.

Other than that it seems to be coming together fine. The exposed mortar on your soldier course will probably spall off to an extent over time. It is difficult to clean it up after it has set properly.
        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Looks like really great progress. I'd suggest getting some cardboard or something over your oven floor to keep it clean and avoid chips. Also, echoing Greenman's comment it still looks like your IT axis is maybe not hitting the bricks in the middle of each course. You're getting a bit of stagger
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Yes, I am getting some overlay of the bricks. A little thing that I would certainly correct if I ever build a second oven. As long as the oven works and does not fall apart, I will be happy. I fully expect cracks to form. Even the best builders on this forum have them, so I am not too concerned with that. As long as I can make the oven aesthetically pleasing by enclosing the dome and putting on a veneer finish, my wife will be happy and won't tell me to tear it down!

Comment

Oh no. Bad news. My HF saw's pump motor seemed to die. It's not pumping. Has this happened to anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by spiderrinaldi View Post
                Oh no. Bad news. My HF saw's pump motor seemed to die. It's not pumping. Has this happened to anyone else?
                My never died but it did plug up quite a bit. You can get a new one for about 8 bucks.
                158 GPH Miniature Submersible Fountain Pump
                My build progress

Comment

I found that if you put the pump in a 5 gallon bucket of clean water then you don't get all the sediment in the pump.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                    I found that if you put the pump in a 5 gallon bucket of clean water then you don't get all the sediment in the pump.
                    I actually took that advice and had the pump in a separate 5 gallon bucket.

I was able to get it to work again. I took off the cover and saw that the mechanism under the filter was trying to start to spin but couldn't. I got a thin screwdriver and gave it a few nudges and it began to spin. Back in business.

Comment

Starting to think about what to use for a chimney. I just posted a separate thread posing a couple of questions.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/...tml#post180810

Comment

I have just about run out of fire clay and the source where I bought my first bag won't have it until next week. I have about 1 and a half courses left and the keystone. I may switch to Heatstop to do the last little bit. I can get a 12 lb bag for $30 which isn't bad.

Comment

Do you mean the 10lb premixed pail? It might take a couple of them to do that much..

Why not just use the muck at the bottom of your HF wet saw tray for the fireclay?
                          Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
                          40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyp View Post
                            Do you mean the 10lb premixed pail? It might take a couple of them to do that much..

Why not just use the muck at the bottom of your HF wet saw tray for the fireclay?
                            I've been washing it out every day, so no dice. Didn't bother saving it.

Comment

Oh ;<

Hmm well if you have some small brick cut off bits you could turn them into dust with the wet saw!
                              Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
                              40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

Re: Out of work Pizza Man's 42&quot; Build in NJ

Cut a few more bricks and you'll have more. Buying fire clay and/or HS isn't worth it!
                                My build progress

Comment

Working...
                                X