To fellow Vermiculite Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To fellow Vermiculite Users

Just finished pouring my vermiculite base (Course) and noticed it is not nearly at flat and smooth as using Fiber Board or Cement pour. My question is how to lay a herringbone matrix of firebrick for the floor layer and keep them perfectly horizontal? Seems like they will end up pretty wavy making it difficult to use a peel.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/imag...s/confused.gif

I read about creating a paste from fireclay/sand/water, but I am cutting the floor to fit onsite the walls so I can replace them in case of damage. Will this paste cement in the bricks so they cannot be replaced?

Any help welcome.

Re: To fellow Vermiculite Users

Make the mix dry if you are worried about that. It works just as well.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

When I was reading through various builds, I remember seeing a few people bedding a sheet of cement board over their vermicrete layer and setting their bricks on the dead-flat and perfectly smooth cement board.

If you go that route, use a true cement board, something like Durock.
      Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Using a fine grade vermiculite for the last 1/8th inch or so of the pour will allow you to have a workable finish. I found that out by accident. I ran out on the weekend of the pour, so I had to finish with what I could get. It turned out ok .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thank you all. Definitely some good options. I am make some fast progress, and did not have "quick access" to a quality fiber board, so I went with the dry mortar approach. Turned out well!

Comment

Working...
          X