Insulation over Dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation over Dome

We are at the enclosure part of our oven. We are using concrete block on the upper portion (hearth to the enclosure roof) of the oven. We will wrap 3 - 1" layers of Forno Bravo insulation blanket on the dome.
    1) Do you recommend I also pour in dry insulation over the blanket?
    2) Should I use Vermiculite or Perlite or a combination of both?
    3) How thick should the Vermiculite/Perlite be?

Thanks,
    Pam

Re: Insulation over Dome

There is no such thing as too much insulation, however there is a point-of-diminishing returns. My opinion is to take whatever money you were going to put into perlite/vermiculte and buy extra blanket. The blanket is your best source of insulation, because you can wrap the dome and put it exactly where you want it. Loose vermiculte/perlite is subject to where it wants to go. Also, when installing vermiculite, all you need is a gust of wind to pick it all up and you will have an early snow storm in your neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Ockenfels View Post
      We are at the enclosure part of our oven. We are using concrete block on the upper portion (hearth to the enclosure roof) of the oven. We will wrap 3 - 1" layers of Forno Bravo insulation blanket on the dome.
      1) Do you recommend I also pour in dry insulation over the blanket?
      2) Should I use Vermiculite or Perlite or a combination of both?
      3) How thick should the Vermiculite/Perlite be?

Thanks,
      Pam
      Pam......I also built a block enclosure and after installing 8" of rockwool insulation over the dome, I completely filled the rest of the block enclosure w/loose perlite. It took about six or seven 4 cubic foot bags to do so.
      My Build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I have decided to add a couple additional layers of blanket and not use the loss insulation. With some work, I could always add some insulation later.

Since this dome is inside an enclosure, is there any reason I would need to "secure" the blanket on the dome? Or do I just wrap it on and complete the enclosure.

Thanks for your help.
        Pam

Comment

Just to ensure that the blanket does not slip after you enclose the oven, a few strands of wire to secure the blanket would be advisable. Just tapcon a few spots and run over and around the dome.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

It does make sense to me to secure it with wire. It looks like you have the tapcons in the hearth. What did you use for wire?

Thanks for the photo!
            Pam
            Last edited by Ockenfels; 10-18-2014, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I used rebar tie wire but anything will work.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
              X