Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Central Utah 42" Pompei Build (continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And this last weekend, the Labor Day weekend, it was time for the roof. After weighing several options (metal, bar tiles, slate), we opted for slate roofing tiles. Great idea, but a bit of a challenge since slate roofs are not a popular thing in Utah. Found a guy in California who would ship me pre-made tiles for a mere $650. Fortunately, the brother of my cabin co-owner (a tile guy himself) happened to hear about excess roofing slate at a local tile supplier for a mere $150. By the time I actually bought the tile the price had dropped to $43 for the .80 of a square needed for my roof. What a bargain! Tiles in hand and hot dipped galvanized nails from the internet (just say no to electro-galvanized) we were off to the races. And now, we have a slate roof! Copper ridge cap is on its way. The end is in sight.

Comment

This last weeiend, we gave steaks a try in the pizza oven. Was a little scared to subject those expensive ribeye steaks to the savaging heat of the pizza oven. The attached picture was our effort over the open flame. Also tried them in a cast iron skillet which we decided was the preferred method. Four minutes to cook the steaks to medium rare perfection (after a 10 minute rest). Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

When I do mine in the oven I pull a big pile of coles out in to the entry and cook there. Not so much flames just pure raw heat. Works great. It is my favorite way to cook a steak. A little over 2 min a side and good to go.

Randy

Comment

Working...
        X