Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attikus
    replied
    How did your first big cook go? There are a lot of growing pains that can come with dialing in the recipes/techniques/etc. The community at pizzamaking.com is an amazing resource. Check it out!

By the way, I'm just down the street from you in Gilbert.

Leave a comment:

• Attikus
    replied
    How did your first big cook go? I'm just down the road from you in Gilbert.

Leave a comment:

• americanteek
    replied
    Originally posted by mirassou View Post
    Another beautiful build! As I look at the oven floor, it appears that a number of bricks have raised edges that you might consider grinding down so that you don't catch your peel on them.
    Yeah it is actually a bit of an optical illusion, bad light angle on some pictures and the gaps where the bricks are not quite square. They're pretty well leveled, I used sand. So far seems like they're just fine.

Today I got my big brush and some other tools. First pizza party this weekend, I can't wait.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied
    Another beautiful build! As I look at the oven floor, it appears that a number of bricks have raised edges that you might consider grinding down so that you don't catch your peel on them.

Leave a comment:

• americanteek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• americanteek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• americanteek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• americanteek
    replied
    Well I should probably dust off this thread. I got side-tracked back in February and then the heat crept in before I could get it finished. So the last few weeks have been a lot of activity. Many pictures to come.

Leave a comment:

• edsiajb
    replied
    Re: 42" Mesa, Arizona - Corner build

Looks great! I too have been using a HF saw...it has been great. It does have a few limitations (depth of cut, etc) but has been well worth the money.

Do you plan to use an IT? And if so, do you plan to keep the floor template in place during the build?

I sure would like some Mesa AZ weather right now...I would be able to make some progress with my build! We're expecting a low today of 12 and high of 34....in Alabama! Just too frigid for me to spend much time outdoors.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

It is helpful to sandwich two templates together with a spacer in order to provide access to point mortar into the bricks. Also, use wedges under the form to release it easily after setting bricks to clean up mortar.

Since the inner arch provides the surface that your door butts up against, it needs to be a true plane. To accomplish this, some have suggested building the inner arch horizontally (like a barn wall) then standing it up into place. If you create a placemark for your arch form, it will act as a suitable guide.
    Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 02-18-2015, 09:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• the_dr_masuess
    replied

Its looking like you are making quick progress which is great! Keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• americanteek
    replied

Made some progress today. First course of dome bricks tomorrow. I'm pretty pleased with the HF saw. Any tips for shaping the inner arch template?

Leave a comment:

• americanteek
    replied

We stubbed out conduit for all those prior to pouring the slab. Lighting plan is still somewhat in the air, but we definitely will have lights on the pizza oven.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

very nice plan, that will be nice. Have you already completed the underground work? (water, sewer, electric) I can tell from the pics yet but i see the sink and definitely want lights somehow.

Texman

Leave a comment:

• americanteek
    replied

I thought I'd upload this as well to give an idea of what we're going for. Our home is a 1971 time capsule that we're updating. Being in Arizona, the Arizona room idea is very popular - walling in the outdoor patio and make it a room. The problem as the new buyers was that left us with no patio area besides a few feet of concrete. So we knew we wanted to go big, we had 23 yards of concrete pad put into the backyard for a firepit area, hot tub pad, and of course the outdoor kitchen. Before doing anything we hired a landscape architect to give us a plan for what we wanted so we could work towards it as time went by. This is the portion of the plan that shows what the outdoor kitchen layout will be, more or less. The part labeled "new gate" was just put in this week. The part labeled "walk" has not been done yet, and we may never do that. Generally speaking the layout of the bar/bbq/pizza oven will be exactly as it is on this plan. Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by americanteek; 02-13-2015, 08:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X