smaller oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: smaller oven

This shows how my stand is built into our back hill.

Comment

So, I added row 3 today. In order to avoid grout lines lining up, I cut a brick in half and started laying at the oven opening. By the time I got to the back of the oven, my grout lines were lined up!

Should I have cut another brick or two every so often to keep that from happening?

BTW, I'm using half fire brick and trying to cut as little as possible since I have to score and break them. I rented a saw to cut all the fulls into halves, but I'm on a tight budget so I can't custom cut every brick like some of the gurus on this forum.

I'm actually surprised how much confidence I have gained doing these first 3 rows. I'm sure that will be tested as I get closer to the top -- that looks scary up there!

Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice.

Comment

Originally posted by dingodan View Post
        So, I added row 3 today. In order to avoid grout lines lining up, I cut a brick in half and started laying at the oven opening. By the time I got to the back of the oven, my grout lines were lined up!

Should I have cut another brick or two every so often to keep that from happening?
        IMO, yes, but don't pull down what you've already done.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I'm realizing that I must now build the door and entryway. The directions say to use a piece of angle iron to hold up the top. Do my bricks just rest on the angle iron? Will the bricks above lock them in place?

Comment

G'day
            It's easy and strong to built an arched entrance of brick. I have a angle iron one and the disadvantage is the steel will eventually need replacing as it will rust in the hot environment. I've built my outer entry with a brick arch and they are not as hard as I first found. The trick is to build ply form on a couple of wood shims remove the shims and the form drops and can then be withdrawn. You have the added advantage that you keep the form for a template for your oven door.
            Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Consider starting the next course at the back of the oven, easy to start a half brick overlap this way and you also get to hide any shitty looking brick adjustments @ the arch, you'll never see them there. I'd avoid using steel angle, brick arches are pretty easy, you may need an angle grinder to adjust bricks though , but they are very cheap and a very versatile tool to have anyway.
              My Build:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...and-19101.html

Comment

So you guys have given me confidence to try the arched doorway. I'll keep you posted.

I'm up to 4 rows. I'm going to try one more without forms, maybe two.
                Last edited by dingodan; 03-03-2015, 10:19 PM.

Comment

A form is a good thing to have when you do this dingodan. It is almost a necessity in my humble opinion. I made one and it worked for me. Good luck if you can wing it but that is beyond my limited skill level.
                  Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

It looks like you are going to end up with a high dome, especially because you have only started to slope in on the second course. This problem is exacerbated for small ovens because the brick units are larger in proportion to the oven size, meaning that wedge on the outside has to be bigger.

But don't worry it, the thing will still work ok.

Comment

David- I am aiming for an 18.5 inch interior height and a 12 inch door height. Thoughts?

Comment

Hello Dingodan

One cheap way to cut the bricks is with an angle grinder and a diamond blade. Makes a lot of dust unless you soak the bricks good but it works.
                        Not as neat as a brick saw but if you have a 4 1/2" angle grinder a $35.00 blade will get you cutting.

David

Comment

I built the forms for the door arch, and I have an angle grinder and a diamond blade, so I am on my way!

Comment

I built the forms for the door arch, and I have an angle grinder and a diamond blade, so I am on my way!
                            Wear a mask, the brick dust is dangerous.

Comment

David- I am aiming for an 18.5 inch interior height and a 12 inch door height. Thoughts?
                              If your oven diameter is 28", then an 18.5" internal height is taller than a hemisphere. Because your oven is small your taller height will allow you to have a higher door height which is an advantage. I built a 2" taller version of the 21" ovens I make for this very reason and I was a little worried about how it might perform. As it turned out I could not detect any difference in the way the modified oven fired or performed.
                              Yours is significantly more, but I think you'll be fine.

Comment

So I just cut some brick with the angle grinder. Worked WAY better than I thought it would. I love the advice I get on this forum.

David, how high of a door would you suggest? My form is built to 12" now and it looks plenty tall. I think my turkey would fit through there! However, I trust the experience of the forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X