Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: smaller oven

Originally posted by dingodan View Post
    So I just cut some brick with the angle grinder. Worked WAY better than I thought it would. I love the advice I get on this forum.

David, how high of a door would you suggest? My form is built to 12" now and it looks plenty tall. I think my turkey would fit through there! However, I trust the experience of the forum.
    My door is 6.25" X 15.75" and will just fit a 5 Kg turkey. A 12" high door will fit a monster.

An 18.5 high dome X 63% = 11.65

The problem with a small oven is that the percentage of internal dome area that the door takes up is larger and therefore you get more heat loss. My door area is just under 100 sq ins. (yours will be way more). Your oven is a third larger in diam than mine, but being taller would have a lot more volume. You are probably stuck with your current door width being already several courses high. Forge on, I'm sure it should be fine.

My dome is a little lower than a hemisphere, yours considerably taller, but let's say they were both exact hemispheres, then your diameter is 33% larger, area 78% larger and volume 137% larger.
    Last edited by david s; 03-06-2015, 04:32 AM. Reason: got interrupted
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Be real careful how you hold the bricks as you cut and shape them with the angle grinder. It does not have teeth on the diamond blade but I think it could do a number on your hand if it got in the way.
      On smaller pieces I would hold them in a vice if you could if not at least rest them on a solid surface.
      Eye protection is also a good idea.

David

Comment

I'm really feeling the truth of the "build two ovens" statement. My buddy wants one too. I should have built his first!

Comment

Two hands on the grinder and a boot on the brick works pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
            Two hands on the grinder and a boot on the brick works pretty well.
            And prepare to snort lots of brick dust.
            My Build:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
              And prepare to snort lots of brick dust.
              NO, definitely not, it's dangerous. That's why you must wear a mask or respirator. Because the clay has been fired and then minute particles ground off, any tiny particles that get into your lungs cannot be removed as easily as unfired clay which turns to mud. The larger, sharper particles tend to stay in the lungs and cut the little hairs in there and cause diseases like silicosis.
              http://www2.worksafebc.com/i/posters...S%2009_04.html
              Last edited by david s; 03-06-2015, 05:15 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

So I geared up and cut and mortared my door arch today. It took forever but I finally got them just right. Mortaring them in was taxing, since adjusting one moved the others, but at last I think it is passable. Nothing like the gurus on this forum, but it'll cook a pizza when I'm done (I hope.)

Comment

For those folk who don't believe a small oven is big enough to feed a crowd, I just picked up my 21" mobile oven that I hire out. It was a local fishing club and they cooked 90 9" pizzas (two at a time) maintaining a fire on the side constantly in one evening. This is a record for my oven, I had previously done 70 in one night, but 90 is outstanding. Being small my oven has its roof pretty close to the food (also a touch lower than a hemisphere) so 90 sec pizzas are pretty easy, this also means the dome recharges the floor temp pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by dingodan View Post
                    So I geared up and cut and mortared my door arch today. It took forever but I finally got them just right. Mortaring them in was taxing, since adjusting one moved the others, but at last I think it is passable. Nothing like the gurus on this forum, but it'll cook a pizza when I'm done (I hope.)
                    G'day
                    I've seen folk build an arch then build the dome to it, others build the arch as the dome goes up row by row. Never have I seen someone build a dome to door height then build the entrance. Well done! I'm impressed!
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                      NO, definitely not, it's dangerous. That's why you must wear a mask or respirator. Because the clay has been fired and then minute particles ground off, any tiny particles that get into your lungs cannot be removed as easily as unfired clay which turns to mud. The larger, sharper particles tend to stay in the lungs and cut the little hairs in there and cause diseases like silicosis.
                      The dangers of breathing silica dust | WorkSafe Bulletin | WorkSafeBC
                      David.....I said that a bit tongue in cheek......just kidding. It was meant to let them know it creates lots of dust. I want to add that a regular dust mask is insufficient to properly protect a person in that situation and one needs to wear a respirator. My 2?.
                      My Build:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

great advice here, make sure you fav. roasting pan will fit the door or start shopping !

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                          Never have I seen someone build a dome to door height then build the entrance. Well done! I'm impressed!
                          Regards dave
                          I'd admit genius if it wasn't simply because I had no idea what to do next.

Comment

First, thanks for all the great advice. This forum is so helpful!

So, a friend loaned me a wet saw. I'm considering cutting the bricks for the top 4 rows.

Would that be a mistake? Changing up brick size half way up?

Also, do you recommend just chopping them so the side mortar joints are smaller? Or should I consider 4 cuts to make the top and bottom mortar joints smaller also?

Comment

Just the sides, but the angles get bigger the higher you go as the diameter decreases.

Comment

I finally have a full circle! I feel like I am making progress. I did have trouble making the bricks stay in place on the steeper slope, but I finally just went really slow and it worked out. I believe harder times are ahead, but I can see some light at the end of the tunnel. I hope it isn't a train.

Comment

Working...
                                X