Clear All

• Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Looking great! Great job!
    George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

How heavy gage steel studs do I need. I am thinking of trying to get 16 gage or is that over kill?

Randy

Comment

Well one step closer.

Randy

Comment

And I thought this kinda seamed like I should call it the keystone picture

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
            And I thought this kinda seamed like I should call it the keystone picture

Randy
            , that one went over my head for a second or two .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hello Randy

Looks like mine. I had to disassemble the IT tool to get it out of the oven. Grease on the all thread helped.

Cutting the plug was a trick and having got it to fit it stuck out when I put mortar on it. Had to shave some more off it.

David

Comment

Well I managed to get the dome plugged . It went pretty well. Took about 20 min of shaving to get it ot fit how I wanted. Not perfect, but I am happy with how it turned out. I need to try to squeeze my self in to touch up a few things. I hope the door is big enough

Now to start the vent. Should it be on the insulation and if so when I get to the edge how do I protect it from moisture? Just run cement board across the bottom of the entry and run the stone or brick over that? Or is there a better way. Thanks for the help.

Randy

Comment

Well I managed to get the dome plugged . It went pretty well. Took about 20 min of shaving to get it ot fit how I wanted. Not perfect, but I am happy with how it turned out. I need to try to squeeze my self in to touch up a few things. I hope the door is big enough

Now to start the vent. Should it be on the insulation and if so when I get to the edge how do I protect it from moisture? Just run cement board across the bottom of the entry and run the stone or brick over that? Or is there a better way. Thanks for the help.

Randy
                  Wow congratulations. I bet that was an awesome feeling?!
                  Best Regards...
                  Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
                  Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
                  STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

"Now to start the vent. Should it be on the insulation and if so when I get to the edge how do I protect it from moisture? Just run cement board across the bottom of the entry and run the stone or brick over that? Or is there a better way. Thanks for the help. "

If you use a heat break between the dome and the vent ( flue arch ) no insulation is required at the floor.
                    Chip

Comment

Ok thanks chip. That is kinda what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure that I was thinking correctly . I will have to form that up and get it poored so I can get going on the vent. When can I start the curing fires? Do I need the vent done? Thanks for the help.

Randy

Comment

Form what up and get what poured? I am not quite sure where you are going with this.

As far as curing fires, you can start now but.... You will stil need to cure the vent also if you do not want cracks in it. Make sure you are in the go slow mode once the vent is built also. Today is not a good day for curing because of the rain. Just keep it covered and maybe work on cutting bricks or building your arch form.

Remember th keep a nice wide reveal on your inner arch for sealing the insulated door.
                        Last edited by mrchipster; 06-11-2015, 08:07 AM.
                        Chip

Comment

Congratulations on plugging the dome great job!
                          link to my effort http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/7...art-20707.html

"95% reading this forum 5% building"

Comment

How heavy gage steel studs do I need. I am thinking of trying to get 16 gage or is that over kill?

Randy
                            Hey Randy,

Looking good. You've moved swiftly through the build. I would say that 16ga metal studs is definitely an overkill. I'm building an outdoor kitchen with 20ga studs and it's plenty sturdy and I don't even have the Durock on there yet. The sheeting is where the real strength happens. Keep up the good work!

Alex

Comment

I need to bring the edge up to the same hight as the oven so I need to form that up and I might add a round lip for a little extra room.

Randy

Comment

Alex thanks for the info. I might back down to 18 gage. I don't want to worry about snow load crushing anything.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X