Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy's dreams do come true oven build

We'll I am finally getting around to starting my oven. It is a little early to start digging as there is probably 4' of frost to come out of the ground yet but I am working on finalizing all of my plans, and starting to gather materials.

My plan so far is to do a corner install with a 40" oven. I am going to over size the base a little to add a little extra insulation. I would really like to be able to do some bread baking and lots of other cooking too. My plan for the base is to go 68"x68" withe the foundation as 72"x72" and a counter off one side that will be 42" to 48" long and maybe a little extra wide possibly 30"

I am planning for 3" of blanket insulation.for the top and then fill the enclosure with vermiculite. I am wondering if I would get bet floor insulation with two layers of fb board or something similar or one and vermiculite and concrete 4" thick.

I have been thinking of this for several years now but have been to busy to start. We had a baby boy last summer who is the love of my life. I got my journeyman electrical license the fall before and did a major kitchen re model the summer before. So now is the time. I already have a hf 10" saw so now it is time to have some fun.

Randy

Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Randy

welcome aboard. Sounds like you are on the right track so far by your explanation. For the base, i would do a vermicrete layer and then 1 layer of the fb board instead of the two fb layers. It will give you some flexibility for floor height and save some dough $$. with a frost line that deep, i see some digging in your future for a stable base.

If you have a drawing and some pics of the your build site, you might post those and give us all a better understanding of your build. Post lots of pics and i look forward to your build.

Texman
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Thanks for the response. Here is a shot of the spot I am thinking of for the oven. I am going to do a 6"thick slab and put a few 8"sono tubes down below the frost line. I believe that is what mrchipster dId as well. He live about 12 miles from me I think. My yard is still quite a mess from last fall. It snowed before I got the leaves all picked up.

Randy

Comment

Randy.....I know it's a somewhat common belief among some people, but sonotubes buried under a slab do absolutely nothing to prevent frost heave. Save yourself some money and lots of work. This is not just an opinion. It is fact. Either way, best of luck w/your build.
        My Build:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

I am not really very concerned about the frost heave in my area. Where my house sits it is all sand as deep as you want to go. They were down about 70' when they put a freeway through by me and it was all fine sand. The city said I could do a floting slab if I wanted to, or put a few tubes down. The patio I am building by is 40 years old and only has one small crack. So like I said I am not very concerned about it. And I am not going to dig down and and do a footing. Too much work.

Randy

Comment

If you're not going to install an actual footing, I would at least make the edges of your base slab thicker and be sure to backfill around them. A lot of times a slab can and does lift up and then goes back down w/out any noticeable or serious damage. Sometimes, that is not the case and significant damage can and does occur.
            My Build:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Nice job on the card!

I am not so sure you need the sonotubes if you are not concerned with frost, but it's your oven. Making the perimeter 12" thick is a good idea.

The advantage of FB board is ease of install and high insulation value. To match the insulation value you probably need 3 times the vermiculite mix, plus the time to mix and install. Plus the mix is not structural so you need actual concrete under it. (you need concrete under the FB board also, but 4" is a lot of insulation. )

Just remember with that saw, your lively hood is a quarter inch from that blade, be careful. You aren't worth near as much without a thumb.
              The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Here is a quick pic of the area I am going to build in. I tried to do this earlier. Let's see if this works this time.

Randy

Comment

Thanks I am very proud of my Jw card. It means a lot to me. It was a lot of work and a lot of studying but worth it.

I can see where the extra depth around the edge would be a good idea. I also plan to still do the sono tubes. I figure a total of 4 or 5 of them and make a upside down mushroom at the bottom with rebar in it.

I do understand that the vermiculite layer is not structural. I want to have a very we'll insulated oven. I like to bake bread and want to be able to take it to the next level. I have done a few cooking contests and won with a ghost chili focaccia bread. So I want to take it up a notch with this, and I figure a well insulated oven is the place to start.

And thanks for the warning about safety. It is a very important thing for all to consider.

Comment

Well I think I have finally tracked down my fire bricks. I found some that have an alumina content of 30.78%to use for the floor at $3.10 and some that are 48% to use for the dome at $2.20 each. Does anybody see a reason this would not be a good plan?

Randy

Comment

Good luck. I wish my randy dreams would come true.��
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                        Good luck. I wish my randy dreams would come true.��
                        Good one

Comment

Well there is no turning back now. I stopped on my way home from work today and picked up the bricks for the oven floor. They are 30.78% alumina so they should be perfect for that. I now need to find a time to go get the bricks for the dome. I also am working on finding all my insulation materials. The shipping quote from fb was $175 so if I ca source them locally that would be great.if not I guess it is a small price to pay to make sure it works properly.

Randy

Comment

Hello Randy

Have you checked to see if there is a Larkin Refractory in your area? They have supplies for oven and furnace building. They have fire bricks and tapered bricks.

Good luck.
                            David

Comment

Hi David. Thanks for the idea. I Googled them hut they are only in Georgia. I did find a place in mn called DemoPlus and I believe that they should have what I am looking for,or at least I hope they will. They specialize in refactory building and sales so should be what I am looking for. And they are almost a dollar less than where got my floor bricks.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X