• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DavidApp
    replied
    Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Hello Randy

My oven is 36" diameter and my oven opening is the same width as your plan and 1/2 lower than you plan. It works well with the exception of the opening into the chimney. I should have made it a little wider. It smokes a little on startup but draws well when it is hot. The opening is 5 bricks wide and 4" deep going into a 6" durovent chimney.
    The vent area is 13" deep on my oven and I have no problems reaching the back of the oven.

David

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

I did a mock layout this afternoon to make sure that everything was going to fit the way I wanted, and I looks like it does. I figured that there is 3.5" for steel studs .5" for cement board witch then left 4"or a little better for insulation. I plan to do 3 layers of cf blanket then fill the remaining area with vermiculite.

The oven opening I am planning is 19" wide and 12.5" tall. I am also thinking about going 14" deep for the vent area. Does this seam like a good plan. I am also planning on doing a heat break between the vent and dome. Right now I am thinking a .5" gap and filling it with ceramic rope and maby the standard ss square tube on the floor with some insulating fb under that. I am also thinking of a 2"reveal.

Does anyone see a problem with what I am thinking? Thanks for the help.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

let the fun begin!

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Well I took off early for work today and got what will hopefully be all the bricks I need for the dome. The guy said that he was out of medium duty bricks and the gave me super duty at the same price. I know I don't want them for the floor but I have low duty for that. So I figured no harm was done by that. I also got my cf blanket from him as well. If any one is in mn and needs supplies Pm me and I will let you know who I went with. They are very nice to deal with and seemed to want me to get the proper supplies for what I was doing.

I also got my cmu's today as well. When I was loading them up I felt like I had got to many but I know I did my calculations right ,but it sure seems like a lot more than I thought it was going to be. Has anyone else thought the same thing?

I hope I can start on the slab soon, but I am very happy to have most of my stuff ready now.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Well I know this has nothing to do with my build but I saw this old bread oven today at work and had to take a quick picture. It is in a building in downtown Minneapolis in a very cool loft style business setting. I think it is wonderful that they left this in place even though it is quite large and the up 2 floors. But they did open up the bottom as a very cool conference room with the valted cealing still intact.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

We'll I finally got around to calling the company I was considering going with for my fire brick about the insulation and they have a a board insulation called Plisulate 1900. Witch is rated to 1900F and the thermal conductivity of 0.8 but*in/hr*ft squared at 1000F and only $103 for a 24 square ft case that is 2" thick. Does this seam like it would be a good fit?

Randy

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

I cleaned the brickwork with a damp sponge every night. The job site not so much.
    Having had to chip the hardened HS50 off my other oven I wanted to avoid that task if at all possible. That stuff goes really hard.

David

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

That sounds like a good plan. I can see where starting the next chain and cleaning up when you finish for the day is a goodles idea.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

I always tried to finish the day setting a brick on the next chain so that it would be set when I started next day.
    Also take time to clean up the mortar inside the oven before you finish the day. It cleans up easily when it is fresh.

David

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Thanks David that is great news. It is also kinda what I was thinking. I know that it will be a lot of work, but that is part of the game. I am a commercial / industrial construction electrician,so i am fairly good at building things even if I have not done it before. I know it has helped on other projects.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Hello Randy

Having the oven ready for July is probable possible but depends on how much time you can devote to the build.

I started my build mid December 2014 and had my first fire at the end of February 2015. I did devote almost every waking hour to it for a good part January.

Take the curing part of it SLOWLY very slowly and gently. I went a little too quick and have a small crack in the inner arch. I think you can tell how the curing/drying is going by the temperature variation in the dome. Big variation top to bottom means you need more slow fires. An insulated door will help the process.

David

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Hi David thanks for the heads up on the insulation board that is good to know. I am hopping that I can find at least 1.5" or best would be 2". I would really like to over insulate the oven so don't want to skimp, but I would also like to keep costs in line.

We'll I have gotten some good news. I finally heard back from the city building dept. they said after reviewing the plans they decided I do not need a permit. Then I was told to call the fire inspector and he also went over the plans and said I am good to go and there are no restrictions as there is a proper flu and chimney and the fire is contained. So I am happy that was the last hurdle before I start.

Here is a question. I am wondering if people think it would be a realistic plan to be able to have the oven and vent done and cured enough to have pizza by mid July for a birthday party for my son and myself? Or is that unrealistic.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Hello Randy

I thought I had seen where someone in Texas was shopping at a Larkin warehouse. I must have mixed up the posts.

I used 3" of fiber board in 1" layers as they only had 1" and 1/2" It would have been better if I could have got 2" and 1" as there is some variation in the board thickness.

David

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Hi David. Thanks for the idea. I Googled them hut they are only in Georgia. I did find a place in mn called DemoPlus and I believe that they should have what I am looking for,or at least I hope they will. They specialize in refactory building and sales so should be what I am looking for. And they are almost a dollar less than where got my floor bricks.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Hello Randy

Have you checked to see if there is a Larkin Refractory in your area? They have supplies for oven and furnace building. They have fire bricks and tapered bricks.

Good luck.
    David

Leave a comment:

Working...
X