Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RandyJ
    replied
    Russell is right I would say 2" is the bare minimum for ceramic blanket. I would also guess it to be cheaper to add one more layer of blanket than to fill with vermiculite. I used 12 bags at 15$ each to fill the cavity inside the enclosure. So that was 180$I think that is more than I spent on 3 layers of ceramic blanket. So you need to decide how much you want to spend and follow the route that leads you to. Your cheapest bet is one more layer of blanket and that would be where I would start.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Just have the weigh the cost of adding ceramic blanket or dry perlite/vermeculite. Just presenting options of what other builders have done when they have an enclosed oven. There is a point of diminishing returns.2" is probably the minimum amount of ceramic insulation on the dome.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    I hear you there. I think I ended up spending roughly twice what I had bugeted. I was right on till I started the exterior and then everything cost at least twice what I thought. I also had not thought of everything and had a few problems to solve that cost money too. But it is all worth it in the end.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• thomasmn
    replied
    Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
    I poored in 36 cf of vermiculite over the top of the dome and filled the enclosure. It is not expensive but 12 bags start to add up

I agree, things starts adding up. I ran up another $500 bill at HD/Menards yesterday getting all the stuff to build the roof.. I've got 3" of fiber blanket over the dome and 4" board below. I'm fine with having perhaps slightly lower performance over the flexibility I lose by filling it up with vermiculite. I may get started on stucco tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    I poored in 36 cf of vermiculite over the top of the dome and filled the enclosure. It is not expensive but 12 bags start to add up

Leave a comment:

• Saluki
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Shaping up nicely. FYI, some builders pour in dry perlite or verm. after the enclosure is up for additional insulation. Relatively cheap.
    Beehiver - I've read on other builds that some just recommend to add an additional 1" of blanket to accomplishsh this. What are your thoughts? I have 2" ready to go and am building an enclosure just like Thomas and Randy. Recommendations?

Leave a comment:

• thomasmn
    replied
    I thought about that as well, but I want to have an access panel for electrical and the thermocouples as I haven't finalized how I want to display the temperatures. There are 4 channel data loggers available on eBay, but they've gone from $130 to $250+ in a month. I will likely post-pone that decision to August!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Shaping up nicely. FYI, some builders pour in dry perlite or verm. after the enclosure is up for additional insulation. Relatively cheap.

Leave a comment:

• thomasmn
    replied
    Originally posted by Saluki View Post
    Also. What is the height of the front and rear roof lines. How much chimney pipe?
    I assume you mean these types of structural pictures? Height to right under the roof in the front is 7'2" to be 1' taller than me. I don't have a measure on the total height as it wasn't as important to me. Rear is about 5'10" to the roof. Chimney is made up of 1 section of 1' pie and one section of 3' pipe. Yesterday I found out that I may have gotten a 6" storm collar so I had to ghetto rig up some plastic and duct tape as Menards had just closed!

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    Saluki I don't know if you ment Thomas or me but my roof line is about 6' in the back and around 8.5' to 9 ' in the front. I just kinda eyeballed it when I built it. If you want the exact measurement let me know and I can get it for you.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    Hey Thomas that turned out great. You have been busy to be this far already. It looks great. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• Saluki
    replied
    Also. What is the height of the front and rear roof lines. How much chimney pipe?

Leave a comment:

• Saluki
    replied
    Wow. Looks about what I was aiming for. You have any pics of the structure itself?

Leave a comment:

• thomasmn
    replied
    Can't thank you enough for documenting your build here Randy! I managed to get a roof on the thing before the storms the next two days! Design is heavily inspired by yours

Leave a comment:

• thomasmn
    replied
    I did a fairly good fire today and figured out my problem with the dome probe - it wasn't all the way into the stainless enclosure. Immediately the temperature went closer to 200F. So while I think the right thing is to wait until the dome is completely dry to insulate.. my time is running out so I am planning to insulate the dome tomorrow so I can get going on the enclosure. I picked up the last of my 18 gauge steel today for the roof so I have everything I need.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X