• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The plan was to use clay, I started using brick today. Paul's 36"er

Thanks, lots to think about.

Comment

Giving credit to "edsiajb" in his thread....I think what he did in this picture is perfect. Easy to make and bend them to make them work.

If I ever do another oven, I will likely use this method.
      Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Well, somehow I finished the dome arch merge today and row 7. A lot of customizing and adding to the scrap pile. We will be probably be doing a little grinding tomorrow . Row 7 started out real slow. I was trying to make props to hold the bricks but nothing was working for me. Then I remembered what Darin (Novaslo) said about using fish hooks. Sold the boat and all the gear when I moved from Mich to Tenn. However it gave me the idea to use wire cloths hangers. I keep them next to my duct tape. Then row 7 was off and running I am glad I thought of it sooner than later. Additionally I saw on one of these threads where someone cut off the end of their trowel. What a difference it made. Much easier to work with especially working with smaller batches.

Comment

Hello Paul

Another milestone passed.

The props work better on the higher courses as they angle over more. I cut some thin strips from a 1 x 4 about 1/4" thick for the props. Had to adjust the length and position of the base of the prop to get them to hold the brick. Sometimes I would put a brick against the prop to prevent it from moving.

David

Comment

Hello Paul

Found a photo of my props. You can see the bricks holding the base in position.

David

Comment

Starting row 8 today, and would like To use 4 inchers as long as possible. Any comments on this?

Comment

As the radius gets smaller, the brick need to get smaller to keep the joints tight. Lower on the dome, the brick sit nicely on top of each other. Around course 8-9 you have to start using smaller brick to control the gap between the courses of brick.
                You should be able to observe the bed joint gradually increasing as the upper brick span over the lower brick. The gap between the top of one brick and the bottom of the next will get too big and is more likely to crack. By cutting the brick smaller, you reduce the length of the span and amount of gap.
                The compound angle gets more severe or tapered as well because the brick are turning a tighter radius. The brick take a trapezoid shape and finally a triangle shape before the plug is put in place.
                The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Well, the chamber is done. Those with a weak stomach my want to stop reading and move to another thread. It is not pretty. My hanger weight tool only worked on rows 7 and 8. I used sticks for rows 9 and 10. Then I decided to use the ball. And yep you go blind on what is going on, on the inside. I cut my bricks down but still had some gap issues. After removing the ball I decided the best thing to do is just fill it in. So I did. I figured smooth was better than not and it would not affect the integrity of the oven. I know I have seams lining up and I got some grinding to do at the entrance, middle top and right. I almost hated to show these pics but I figured someone could learn from them. Comments?

Comment

you are the only person who is going to know or care about the look of the dome. After the first pizza, you wont care. After the 10 pizza you won't remember.

Time to move on to better things.
                    The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Hi Paul150 - What you have is quite serviceable and it is now 'what you see is what you have'. Short of partially tearing the dome down you have your dome and it will work fine.

The novelty of looking at the peak of the dome wears off quickly and Dakzaag has pretty much nailed it.

Onwards - I am interested to see what your completed exterior will look like, it shows great promise.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

God willing, next weekend 2" of blanket, chicken wire, 1-2" of vermicrete, the front landing bricks, and the red facia/arch. And on Monday first fire.

Comment

To echo what's been said, your pizza won't care a jot that you've got joints lined up, neither will your guests; looks like a top job to me, looking forward to seeing the finish of choice.

Note: I used my dome uninsulated for nearly a year before covering it in blanket, I think it helped with the drying process as there was no opportunity for trapping moisture.
                          Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

Thanks! A lot. I will keep posting. Found a welder. Gave him my arch and some blanket. We shall see.

Comment

Saturday I had my first fire. Kept it between 200 and 250 for about 6 hours or so. Sunday I did the front decorative arch and chimney. So far I am very happy with it. The chimney came out to be 11 x 3.5". Today it is raining and a bust for my blanket and vermicrete plans. It will be there next weekend. No one is going to steal it. Then it's back to the rock yard.
                              Last edited by Paul150; 05-25-2015, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Well I got a break in the rain and was able to fire it up for another fire. 350- 400 on the dome and 200 - 250 on the sides. I know I have some clean up and filling to do. However I just ordered from amazon tipo 00. It is hard to wait.

Comment

Working...
                                X