My 36" oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 36" oven

I am using my homebrew mortar for my entry arch, but it will be finished and not exposed to the weather.

As far as temperature concerns, I would say conventional mortar is sufficient.
    "Half of the lies the tell about me aren't true!"

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
      Hi
      Have closed the dome and I am ready to start the entry arch, I have ask this in a former post, Is the homebrew mortar good for the exterior arch or can or should I use regular mortar. This part will be exposed the weather.
      Bill
      Firebrick and fire mortar should not be exposed directly to weather, the entry will absorb water like a sponge and transfer that water into the dome every time it rains. My entry will even partially clear (indicating over 800) on a long burn.

By leaving your entry exposed to weather you are asking for real trouble in the future.
      Last edited by mrchipster; 04-17-2015, 07:31 PM.
      Chip

Comment

I would like a slightly tapered brick for the arch and have a 10" wet saw at my shop but with 4-1/2" bricks I can't make the full angle cut any good posts about jigs that can be made for doing this
        Thanks Bill
        Are you doing a flaired arch (narrow at the oven and larger diameter at the opening)?

If so look at my post it could be modified for that simple cut. It will require a double cut but still easy to do.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ble-16780.html

If you are just doing a taper to the brick you do not need to cut all the way through just most of the way as a sliver cut and leave a larger gap on the outside. Or you could just do a double cut with the same slope tipping the brick. A piece of wood clamped to the saw will provide a repeatable slope for the cut.
        Last edited by mrchipster; 04-17-2015, 07:31 PM.
        Chip

Comment

I expect that it depends on the level of exposure that your oven/entry will be exposed to. Do you intend to seal the exterior of your entry? If you do then you have less of a problem, if you intend to put a roof over the oven so you can use it in poor weather then the problem is reduced. It is about the detail.

I built mine from firebrick and home brew mortar. I also have a roof over it but it is exposed to weather blowing in and that happens a bit. I sealed the dome with acrylic sealer but the entry is not coated with that.

In the last 2 years it has not posed a problem. That is my experience.

You could also use a cover of some sort to keep inclement weather off your oven.

That's my .02.
          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Hi
            Have closed the dome and I am ready to start the entry arch, I have ask this in a former post, Is the homebrew mortar good for the exterior arch or can or should I use regular mortar. This part will be exposed the weather.
            Bill
            Italian ovens are traditionally outside and usually exposed to the weather. There ia no problem with the homebrew getting wet. It will not deteriorate. Your oven will get wet inside if you get torrential or prolonged rain. I think this happens even when the oven is completely covered. At least it does in our climate which is tropical and during our wet season the air is so dense with humidity the refractory sucks water into itself even if it hasn't got directly wet. Consequently we don't use our WFO so much during the wet season. This moisture needs to be dried out and a couple of long slow burns is enough to do most of this. You don't need to go right back to the initial tiny fires that you do when the oven is new.
            Last edited by david s; 04-18-2015, 07:39 AM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David
              Thanks for the reply, I was worried that the clay in the homebrew would leach out from water exposer. I am going to stucco the dome but wanted the brick work for the exterior arch and chimney to be an exterior feature. I see working with fire brick that they suck up water more than clay brick is this still a trade off
              Thanks Bill

Comment

Hi started my entry arch yesterday, First two pictures show the notched back of a arched brick, I am mortaring the face of the opening only and using alumina felt for the notch leg, my thought is if the mortar on the face fails from movement of the dome the alumina felt will still function, I thought mortaring both would make to much of a lock. The last pic is my progress for the afternoon
                Thanks Bill

Comment

Hi David
                  Thanks for the reply, I was worried that the clay in the homebrew would leach out from water exposer. I am going to stucco the dome but wanted the brick work for the exterior arch and chimney to be an exterior feature. I see working with fire brick that they suck up water more than clay brick is this still a trade off
                  Thanks Bill
                  One of my ovens, in a house on the beach at Tully Heads, went through cyclone Yasi, in 2011. The community there were evacuated and the house was consequently inundated with tidal surge during the cyclone and the pizza oven would have been entirely covered in tidal surge. Miraculously the flue was still in place and after drying, the oven returned to normal function. I haven't seen it, but the owners tell me there is no problem with any mortar failure.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi All
                    Finished my arch a few days ago, Used the last of this yellow fire brick just have enough to finish the front of the entry hearth. I have been scrounging brick for the last four years, The chimney will have to be red clay brick I have about thirty. The chimney will only be part of the flue, I am building it for looks as I don't really like the look of just a flue pipe although I will need one on top of the chimney to get my height.
                    Bill

Comment

Looks good Bill.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Hi
                        Started to establish a base for the chimney, back bricks are going to be fussy to cut
                        Bill

Comment

Hi
                          I started doing some internal brick transition in the flue opening to take the 9" x 6" opening to 6" x 6" my original idea was to take the chimney up five to six courses and the mount a stainless flue to get above my closest roof line maybe two feet more. I started thinking that all that brickwork in the chimney is going to collect a lot of heat from the fire. I am thinking now maybe it would be better to mount the plate at this point (see previous posted picture) and have the five or six courses more as a veneer. I want the brick chimney more for ascetics with a short piece of flue above. I know that the heating of all that brick might cause mortar failure from expansion. any opinions.

Thanks Bill

Comment

Hi
                            I mounted the flue pipe base and have started the brick work around it. Just one more course and I can get on to finishing the front landing. I have been burning some small fires whenever I am working on it draws real good.
                            Bill

Comment

Great-looking entryway and flue gallery.

Comment

Hi
                                finished my landing today was able to tie in the red bricks in with the chimney which I think looks good. I ordered my flue pipe and cap should have next week, wanted to use the Duratech from FB store but the shipping was more than the two items combined, found a comparable brand on Amazon with free shipping for part of the order, I guess I'll see if it is as good, felt bad I couldn't give the business to FB they have done so much in the WBO cause.
                                Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X