Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 36" oven

Hi
    Took advantage of the long weekend and insulated the dome. three layers of fiber blanket, used lathe to form the shape and got my base coat on. My hands and finger really hurt today. should of bought gloves.
    Bill

Comment

Hi
      Made a mold to cast my chimney cap, received my flue pipe and cap a few days ago these pictures are just with it dry set will mortar in after it's had a chance to dry. I have been pondering whether to fill the chimney cavity with insulation or leave it empty my thought is if the seal at the flue ever fails the insulation would turn into a sponge and take a long time to dry if empty the water would just wick thru and dry. any opinions.
      Bill

Comment

Looks great, I might copy your style...
        Best Regards...
        Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
        Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
        STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

Thanks
          still have lot's of finish work to do
          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
            Thanks
            still have lot's of finish work to do
            Bill
            Are you Crazy Bill, you are right there my friend! I can smell the finish line and I must say it looks amazing! You have done a phenomenal job. Like a pro. I love the shape of the oven and also the front of it. Looks so COOL! Congrats my friend!
            Best Regards...
            Gugahulk!

My Build...

Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.

Comment

Looks excellent, Bill!

Comment

Hi
                Has been a while since I posted, I have been waiting for these website issues to get worked out. Have finished most of the exterior work on and around my WFO, still need to finish my door but have been using my arch form in the mean time, it works pretty good as long as I keep it from catching fire. I have done a little cooking so far bread and some meats no time for pizza yet, Thought I would share some of my thoughts at the end of this build. The first thing I noticed in doing a full heat up, I used two different brick in the dome as I had been collecting brick for a few years to build this, I had a bunch of brick from a customer of mine that were left over from a fireplace they built, I would consider these low duty brick as they were not as dense and hard as some of my other fire brick I used, For the first three courses I used a higher alumina brick the dense yellow brick most people use, I use these at my shop in the kilns for holding my molds in place when I melt glass.The rest of the courses were the low duty fire brick they were softer but still a good fire brick. What I noticed is that when doing a full burn the dome would clear the softer brick first and leave a perfect black ring for the first three courses it took a long time for these to clear. so I would imagine that building with the dense brick it would take a longer burn to clear the dome. The low duty brick work fine and hold heat well so I have no reservations about using them. I still need to spend some time with this oven to see how it preforms but so far not bad.
                Thanks to all who offered advise or took interest.
                Bill

Comment

Looking good, what did you use to water protect the dome?
                  Best Regards...
                  Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Hi
                    After about a week of letting the stucco dry I coated it with a cement sealer and then two coats of masonry water proof paint from home depo its like a elasticmeric coating.
                    I have been watching your build looking great.
                    Bill

Comment

great looking oven! love the chimney detail!
                      George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

Looks good William. It certainly shows off your skills and transforms the area.
                        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Hi All
                          Did my first pizza's on Sunday,
                          My results were so so I have had better, I think part of my problem was I didn't get the oven hot enough I fired up early in the day as I wanted to bake some bread first, I let the oven cool down some and temper and baked , then reheated the oven later for pizza but I don't think it was hot enough the pizzas took almost three minutes to cook and were not getting that toasty brown under. Will try better the next time
                          Cheers Bill

Comment

This dorky site won't give me access to the last page of the thread so I don't know how the next batch of pizzas turned out, but I just wanted to say thanks William. Great pictures and it's very similar to how I want to finish mine, so all in all a big help to me.

You've done a great job.

Comment

Hi
                              Wanted to share my oven door build, I started off with 1/8" mild steel and rolled and welded the sleeve. I cut K26 insulated kiln brick for the inside of the sleeve, I then cut one inch LD fiber board to back up the ply door, which was one of my forms to build the outer arch. I ran three bolts thru the ply to the back of the brick and used carriage bolts and fender washers to hold together. For the thermacouple I drilled thru the ply and brick and since the probe was only four inches I counter sunk the brick so it would protrude into the inner air area. The weight is not to bad although if I was to do it again I would have used a lighter gauge steel, that is the heaviest part. I will in the future replace the ply with a more decorative panel.
                              Bill
                              Attached Files

Comment

Your oven looks fantastic....one thing I ran into....the 1st door I made was too heavy. I made it out of 1/4 in steel and put fiber blanket inside. It was about 30 pounds and was damaging my brick. i stressed whenever anyone touch the door and my wife could not cook in the oven simply because she couldn't easily move the door.

The next one I built, I went for the lightest possible option. I am really happy with it. I put 4 inches of insulation and used very thin steel. It is still over 10lbs. But easy for my spouse to move.
                                Something to consider if you start getting damage like I did.

Awesome job BTW.
                                D
                                Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Working...
                                X