Starting over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G'day
    One son played soccer, one played league. Winter was a taken up.
    One year both threatened to play either cricket or baseball.
    I drew the line in the sand. Sport or the beach.
    The beach won.
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi all
      Im stuck, Im up to the dome m?eting the inner arch and im having a really tough time doining this
      I have cut heaps of bricks and not getting any where, getting really fustrated, Ive even thought about knocking it all down and just buying an already built one
      Any suggestions?

Cheers
      Adrian

Comment

G'day
        Walk up to you oven now. And have a look through the entrance, what do you see. The back wall of the oven? Right.
        Do you see the " dreaded arch transition" No and why not ?
        Cause you got to be on your back and slid into the oven to see this.
        We have had this same conversation before?
        It will survive don't sweat the small dhit. By the end time you get to the pieces that people will see you'll be an expert.
        Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Send some pics so we can see what the situation is. With the collective minds on the Forum we can help ya but we need to see what the problem(s) are.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Dave, as my wife says Im just a bit of a perfectionist and stress out about little things
            I was having a bad day yesterday
            Beehive I'll see what i can do today with a pic or two

Cheers
            Adrian

Comment

The previous row wasn't too difficult lol
              Last edited by thesharkbar; 12-21-2015, 06:33 AM.

Comment

This is the row im up to now
                Last edited by thesharkbar; 12-21-2015, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Sbar,

The IT is indicating that there may be a little dreaded droop happening here so now is the time to make adjustments. There are a couple suggestions, one since this is not a tapered inner arch, if you are so inclined, a grinder with a diamond cup, could be used to knock off the inner arch brick edge to help make the transition smoother but you have to do this gingerly so not to crack the arch. Second, the bottom plane of the brick shown in the IT needs to be adjusted to match the existing brick below. This only needs to take place near right inner side of the brick (one this side of the arch and the left side on the other side of the arch). This will affect the brick thickness next to it so it may take adjusting a couple brick thickness going around each side of the arch. Bear in mind, this is an area that only you will know about since after the dome is done, no one will ever see this area of the oven. I would suggest getting both sides of the arch bricks cut and fitted before doing any other bricks on this course. It is much easier with an open end to fit if you don't have a brick right up against it, The red area is the grind area and the angle is the same as the angle on the rod of your IT. The blue line is where the bottom plane of the brick needs adjusting to correct the droop that is happening, It brick next to this one will probably need bottom plane adjusting as well. Just focus on the inner joint and let mortar fill in the back side. The back side gets covered with insulation anyway. Hope this helps.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Altough I angled the inside of my arch I had some of the same problems. I also did not have my arch protrude in to the oven and wound up with a tear drop or droop. I just fixed it on the corse after I claret the arch. I would guess that you are over thinking this and are having a hard time finding the right solution. Sometimes you just need to go forward and make it work. It might not be the pretty thing you have in your mind but it will nor fall down. We all have ugly spots if you know where to look. Good luck. Here is what I did to fix mine.

Randy

P.S. after you are done you will soon forget the rough spots.

Comment

Originally posted by thesharkbar View Post
                      The previous row wasn't too difficult lol
                      Hi,

I cannot comment on the issue you are having, as you are ahead of me, but in the middle picture of the post with 3 pics, it looks lie you are not leaving a reveal. Latest I have seen is that you should leave a reveal of a minimum of one inch...

Eoin

Comment

Good catch I did not see that. Maby he doesn't have it mortared in yet like that. . But you will want a revel and a heat break.

Randy

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys, there is still another arch to go in front of this one where i will leave a reveal if this is what you are referring to, The bricks in that pic are just sitting there.
                          I will soldier on and keep the pics coming
                          Last edited by thesharkbar; 12-28-2015, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I think what Mullins was referring to was most people that are using a reveal to help seal heat in their ovens so they put it on the face of their inner arch like the picture I attached. Your second picture in post #51 above looks like your vent arch bricks are flush with the inner arch leaving no room for such a reveal.
                            My build thread
                            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Thanks JR, thats exactly what intend to do.
                              The bricks in that picture where just put there to see how far out I could go, I was just looking at idea's for my chimney, I intend on leaving a reveal like in your picture.
                              Thanks for your picture, that gives me a better idea for my chimney entrance.

Comment

I have spent lots of time thinking about my vent arch - have a look at my build thread and you can see some of the discussion. There seems to be two main ways to build the vent with a few slight variations. I am going with what I call a serpentine vent, like the one in the picture (not a picture of my oven). You can also create a rectangular opening, and frame it with bricks or notch bricks to sit in the opening. I like the look of the serpentine, and it is easier for me to imagine how to build it, but there are pros and cons to both types of openings.
                                My build thread
                                https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Working...
                                X