No announcement yet.

30" Pompeii in Minneapolis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's a great pic and setup Randy. I think that if I do anymore this year, my family will not be very happy. They've been extremely patient with me But I'm going to do some solid research and planning for next summer. Decide whether or not I want to go with stone or concrete. I would prefer concrete but I would like a smoother finish than what I've been getting.
    George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

• I bought a set of polishing disks off Amazon and the worked very well. The set I used went up to 800 grit and left a nice honed look to the concrete. I just used a RO sander and washed the slab off every now and then when it looked like there was some slurry.

I can understand needing to wait till next year to do more. I think I almost got in to the beginning of a divorce when I was trying to finish the oven last year. So make sure to keep the family happy. At least you have a great oven to use till you are ready to do a little more.

Randy

Comment

• Well, after two years, I've finally taken care of moisture issues. I have noticed that my floor bricks have been damp after some time of no use. So, I used some concrete caulking to seal the seam between the oven and the slab and put three coats of Behr stucco paint over the whole thing. The caulk was amazing. I was getting a lot of water seeping.
        George

See my build album here.

Comment

• Hi George, your oven build looks amazing. Enjoyed reading your posts about its progress. Here in Calgary we deal with many freeze thaw cycles per winter.
          I am wondering if you have any guidance or suggestions on what should be considered a must for a WFO subjected to winter?

I have yet to pour my hearth, as I am finishing my concrete block structure. I have my design "set" in my mind, which included a brick vent arch & landing, and an igloo style with stucco. I've already purchased 200+ fire bricks based on that plan. Now would probably be the time to change the plan, if needed.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated,
          David in Calgary
          David in Calgary
          My Build Thread

Comment

• I also live in Mn the number one problem is the oven getting wet and then freezing. Then the brick work can be pushed apart. So it might not be a bad idea to have some sort of roof over the whole thing. I know there are several on this site that have done something like that

Randy

Comment

• I would have to second Randy's suggestion. I think the best thing to do is get a roof over the whole thing by either housing it in an enclosed structure (like Randy's, which is an awesome build), or by putting some type of cover (awning, etc.) as a part of the whole design, which enables you to keep your igloo design. As Randy said, there are a few builds like that on the forum. Depending on how my fixes work, I may end up doing that in the coming year or so. As you can see, it's been a challenge. But I would say this, if you don't have some type of cover, make the vent out of cast refractory concrete because you will get moisture in your landing and if its brick, you're going to have trouble.
              George

See my build album here.

Comment

• Nice work on the caulking and painting of the oven George. The whole setup really looks great! As to putting an enclosed structure over your oven, remember that in addition to keeping the oven area dry, it extends the WFO season considerably and if you screen it, you'll keep those pesky mosquitoes, biting flies, and yellow jackets away from the party (and the pizza ).
                Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Thanks Mike!

Got the oven heated up for a huge grad party tomorrow. I have 114 dough balls proofing and four people set to make pizzas for four hours. It will more than double our record for pizzas at one time, but I think we can do it. I'll post some pics.
                  George

See my build album here.

Comment

• George, what color of paint is that? I was looking online and it's hard to tell what color the paint is going to be from the little chips they show.
                    PS, good luck managing all those pies
                    My build thread
                    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

• Wow, that is quite the undertaking... I can't imagine making that many pizzas. Although with all the neighbours taking interest (& asking "when's the grand opening?") we may end up making many pizzas soon after ours if complete.
                      I hope the party goes well.
                      David in Calgary
                      My Build Thread

Comment

• Good luck with making that many pizzas. That is quite the undertaking. Maybe not so bad if you have some helpers. I normally do most all by myself and that would take forever for me.

Randy

Comment

• 78 pizzas today...and 36 loaves of bread of all varieties we cooked up from the leftovers after the guests left. Four family members and friends cranked out the pizzas over 4 hours in near record heat (96 degrees) while I mingled, conducted quality checks, and ate some great tasting pizza. It was also a tough tree and grass allergy day for me...I'm not sure how long I would have lasted at the oven.

I have an account with a local pizza food distributor and bought bulk on ingredients and had 128 frozen Caputo dough balls that were fabulous after three days of proofing.

@JRPizza: color is Matador in their stucco paints (Behr). It is a great color!
                          George

See my build album here.

Comment

Working...
                          X