Arch Rise for Oven Opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Rise for Oven Opening

A question on aesthetics for those builders out there who elected to construct an arch for their oven opening, rather than use angle iron - what is the rise of your arch?

My opening will be around 18.5" wide and the tapered bricks I purchased for the dome generate a rise of just over 2" across this width. If I start the arch at four brick courses (12"), then this will create a height of over 14" at the middle of the arch, which I'm concerned on a 43" oven (21.5" height) is too high at 65% of the interior oven height.

I have two options - lower the overall arch by chamfering the fourth course door posts, and/or using firebricks with a slower taper - eg 75/69mm which should create a rise of just over one inch. Difficult to visualise though.

So I'd be most interested in hearing what rise you chose for a given opening width, and whether you're happy with it aesthetically.

Thanks, Paul.

Re: Arch Rise for Oven Opening

Paul,

Here's my opening design. It's roughly based on the dimensions of the Forno Bravo door in the FB store (this opening may not actually fit the FB Door).

The dotted lines are the door jamb, the solid lines are the actual door dimensions. My opening will have a 2" rise starting at 10".

I played with the layout on the garage floor. Seems like a nice looking opening.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Paul, I am trying to hit the same numbers that Ken listed. You're only 1.5 inches above that and I wouldn't think it's a show stopper - may require a little more wood for pizza temps, but with a good door you should be able to bake the same. Might even be a plus - you could fit the 45 pound turkey in there.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I'm leaning towards reducing the height a bit anyway, and am curious about the amount of rise out there - it's hard to tell from posted photo's. Cheers, Paul.

Comment

Hi Paul,
          run with what you've got. You are planning on a door and they will retain the heat within the oven. The extra height as Les suggested will allow larger roast (and heaps of toppings on the pizzas). If you need to at alater dater, make an arched panel that will reduce the door height to what you would prefer for pizzas, but hell, you're going to cook them with a fire going anyway.
          My oven openning is 470mm wide X 325mm high but commenced 500 Wide X 340 high. The loss is due to the fibreglass rope seal.

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Sorry if I'm treading on toes here - I'm only after the amount of rise of the arch - not the opening size or any debate on ideal opening height etc.

I'm just curious to know what other builders have done and whether they are happy with the amount of rise of the arch for their width, aesthetically speaking.

Paul.

Comment

I'm at that point too.

And was wondering the same thing.

So I'm glad you posted the question.

The answers sure helped me!
              My thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
              My costs:
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
              My pics:
              http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Paul,

I understand your question now. My rise will be 4.25 inches. Since it's still on paper, aesthetically, it's a beautiful thing.
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Paul,

At the inner part - where my door seals - the dimensions are:
                  9 1/2" high at the sides, with the peak at 11 1/2", width - 17 3/4"

At the outer part of the entry (before the vent and the part you can readily see) the dimemsions are:

10" high at the sides, peak - 12", width - 18 3/4".

Aesthetically, I would have preferred a bit more curve to my arch.

From the building aspect the dimensions I used allowed a fairly simple transition for the Duravent anchor flange. The flange being flat, I needed a somewhat flat surface to achor it to. I bit of grinding on the completed arch and I was good to go. Not having such a severe arch was also easier to lay out - keeping the mortar joints under 1/4" (which was my goal for every joint in the oven), with only the center "keystone" needing tapered.
                  I guess there was a little give and take - gave up the exact look I wanted for ease of building and less mortar.

Am I happy? most certainly. Until you brought up the topic, I had not thought about the more aggressive arch since I decided not to do it.

RT

Comment

Well my dimensions are very similar to RT's. Funny how that worked out.

Mine is 9 1/2" at the sides and 12" at the center and 20 inches wide. I kept the 12" max from the FB plans and figured it would decrease the heat loss. The outside or entry arch is 21.5" wide, 10.5" at the side and 13.25" at the center. I didn't use any fancy programs or math, just a piece of string and a sharpie and drew arcs on my foam board until I found one I liked. As far as looks, I like the look of the arch as it is, it seems just right for my enclosure. As for use, the opening can be a little tight, only for feeding the fire. Don't notice any issues with loading pizza. But, can be a little tricky loading up big logs on an already going fire. I use long welding gloves which work well, but if you are not careful with were your arm is, the hair can get a bit cinged before you even know it. I miscalculated and should have made the oven about 6" higher, that may come into play a little also. Of course I am 6'3", my wife 5'1" likes it where it is now.

All in all I am happy with the opening size and look.
                    Last edited by wlively; 09-22-2007, 04:27 PM. Reason: width and outside dimensions
                    Wade Lively

Comment

RT and Wade, how about concerns for a turkey, or other foods to experiment with? Do you feel your dimensions for the opening are a concern, or not? What other foods have you experimented with?
                      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Ken, I noticed your progress of work within the gallery. Everything is looking excellant.
                        An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Haven't done anything else, yet. I plan on turkey and pork shoulder and I am not concerned about the opening for that. Can't say I have seen any turkeys over 12" tall, breast up/down, and if there are it would be way too big for my family. I did make sure the largest pan I own would slide through.

I forgot to mention the width and outside dimensions. Will edit my previous post.
                          Wade Lively

Comment

You haven't seen the larger turkeys that are now bread in Australia for the commercial markets.
                            When we got married, we had to send the three turkeys to a chicken taleaway to be cooked as they were too large for the domestic ovens, They were then broken up for the reception but the caterers asked if they were emu's rather than turkeys. They actually filled the milk crates that hold 12 X 1 litre milk cartons when cooked.
                            My inlaws used to raised 1000 of these turkeys each year on their farm for the east to west transcontinental railway the 'Indian Pacific' and dressed between 20 to 25 kg each. Slightly smaller ones were cooked for the family christmas celebrations but even the drumsticks would weigh in at 2 to 3 kg each.
                            You definitely need a large oven openning to fit these in.

Neill
                            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                            Neill’s kitchen underway
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

No concerns about turkey, I don't eat or make it unless I'm forced to (maybe every third Thangsgiving).

My largest pan as well as my new cast iron Dutch oven from FB fit without any problems.

As for cooking other than pizza - I've grilled on my cast iron Tuscan grill (steaks, veges, chicken). Roasted an 8lb rib roast, roasted several chickens on a vertical chicken holder (the largest being a monster of about 6 1/2 lbs). Braised a couple of beef roasts, smoked many slabs of ribs and each time threw in 8-10 ears of corn during the last hour of cooking.
                              Plenty of room.....I don't do large parties and other than my wife and daughter - all family is out of state.

All of my dimensions follow the recomendations I've read on this forum for optimum performance of a 36" Pompeii oven - within an inch or so. I don't consider my entry small by any means. Door in place or door left off all night, I still have enough heat the next day after an evening of pizzas to roast something the next morning or afternoon (if the door was in place).......so heat retention is incredible; of course that may change when things cool down a bit during the winter months.

Comment

Working...
                              X