Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebrick color question

Hi all,

I am right now trying to source frirebrick. I have received two quotes so far one is .90 and the other is $1.40 (per brick obviously). The .90 cent is for red firebrick form a place that didn't really know what I was talking about but then I talked to the owner who said he had a couple of pallets kicking around. The $1.40 quote place knew exactly what I was talking about when I called up. Right now I feel comfortable with the $1.40 place because they knew what I was talking about and the price seems reasonable based upon what I have seen on this site. However, it is over 50% more than the other place though they do have 50lb bags of heatstop for $24 which seemed good to me.

So how do I know the .90 cent firebricks are the real thing and is red ok? I thought they were usually yellow.

Thanks

J.

Re: Firebrick color question

For about $80 total, I would go for the one you know is a firebrick.

Unless you can find a manufacturers name stamped on the others and trace em down.
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

It all depends on what area you are in. I've seen yellow, orange, ivory, and red firebricks. The brick should be somewhere around 4x9 inches and weigh around 8 lbs or so. I personally would go with the 90 cent bricks if they checked out ok.
      Oven Progress
      Bread Photos
      Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Tell the second guy that he is $80 higher, buy some heat stop from him and get him to throw in delivery...That would be worth the extra $$...

But RLF is right, if they are about 4x9 and weigh 8 lbs or so, they are fine...
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I had a choice of red or yellow firebricks, and bought red. The guy at the store said he hardly ever sells the red ones. Not real sure why.
          -Chris-
          I'm building a Pompeii Oven in Austin, Texas. See my progress at:
          Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

regardless of which brick you choose, jump all over the $24 Heatstop. That is an unbelievable price. I thought I got a deal at $55.
            I had a similar situation with the firebricks - the knowledgable folks wanted from $1.65 to over $4.00 per brick (that had catelogues, specs, etc). I ended of buying buff colored fireplace firebricks from a brickyard/masonry supplier (no brochures, no specs, they simply called them fireplace bricks) for 77 cents each.....they heat up quick, hold the heat, and so far have been just fine.

Comment

I ended up with the $1.40 brick. The .90 cent bricks ended up being regular clay bricks, the yard man insisted they were fire bricks but they weren;t. So now I am the proud owner of 120 buff colored fire bricks. I also purchased a 50lb bag of Heatstop 50 for $24. How many bags of this stuff will I need for a 36" oven? I have to go get more bricks anyway so sort of in a buy it as I need it mode. Now I just have to wait for my saw from HF.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentcpa View Post
                I also purchased a 50lb bag of Heatstop 50 for $24. How many bags of this stuff will I need for a 36" oven?
                I'm building a 42" oven with HeatStop 50. I'm getting ready to start the 4th course and have used about 3/4 of my first bag. I'm guessing 2 bags will do it for me. I'm cutting all my bricks to fit.

If you cut all your bricks, you will use far less HeatStop (but quite a few more bricks). In my area, HeatStop is $80/bag so I decided to cut the bricks to fit.
                Ken H. - Kentucky
                42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I used 1 1/2 bags - cut to fit method with about 1/2" - 5/8" cladding layer over the whole dome

Comment

Wow, not that much heatstop then, thanks.

I will be attempting the cut to fit method as much as I can. Should be fun once I get started.

Comment

Working...
                    X