Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kemo's South Austin Pizza Oven

Steve,
    Got any pics yet of your enclosure going up?

I agree with you about proceeding on. If a visual inspection of the inside of your dome doesn't reveal any serious defects, I think you're good to go.

I used mortar cladding on the outside of mine. While there are tiny cracks pretty much all over it from drying out, there are no visible serious defects inside or out. Perhaps the cladding is just hiding them? Maybe, it just stopped them from forming or getting too large.

So let's see that enclosure!

G.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
      Steve,
      Got any pics yet of your enclosure going up?

I agree with you about proceeding on. If a visual inspection of the inside of your dome doesn't reveal any serious defects, I think you're good to go.

I used mortar cladding on the outside of mine. While there are tiny cracks pretty much all over it from drying out, there are no visible serious defects inside or out. Perhaps the cladding is just hiding them? Maybe, it just stopped them from forming or getting too large.

So let's see that enclosure!

G.
      I just got back from vacationing in Costa Rica! I havent done much to the oven other than slap some vermiculite up there before I left. Im glad I did, because we got some rain and cold weather here in central Texas while I was gone. I need to find a supplier of the metal studs still and then I can move forward...plus...its COLD!
      Steve Kennemer
      Austin, TX

Comment

ok...here is what I did the day before yesterday.
        Steve Kennemer
        Austin, TX

Comment

and here is what I did yesterday. I was a little disapointed how it all turned out in the front...plus, my concrete board is getting too hot at the chimney area as I had no room to put insulation. So in the front, I will extend the landing and show off some brick which will allow a few inches of insulation.

I dont always have a helper, but I did get pretty industrious with a set of shims to hold up the end of the concrete board.

I plan on building the roof next week!
          Steve Kennemer
          Austin, TX

Comment

Kemo, curious as to why you decided to hide the beauty of your arch?
            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Kemo, your enclosure is looking really nice! Keep up the good work.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Looks good Steve.

Is that the front wall near the chimney that's getting hot, or up on top? If you're filling your enclosure with vermiculte or perlite, that may greatly reduce the problem with the heat transfer.
                GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                  Kemo, curious as to why you decided to hide the beauty of your arch?
                  I have actually reconsidered and will be extending the arch out about 5 inches to build a nice arch made of Austin Limestone

I have also sourced some Travertine tile that I will use in the landing transition.
                  Last edited by Kemo; 12-26-2007, 10:48 AM.
                  Steve Kennemer
                  Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                    Looks good Steve.

Is that the front wall near the chimney that's getting hot, or up on top? If you're filling your enclosure with vermiculte or perlite, that may greatly reduce the problem with the heat transfer.
                    the heat issue is the main reason for extending out my landing. I will be able to add some insulation in the front. Right now its too damn hot!
                    Steve Kennemer
                    Austin, TX

Comment

AND here is what I got for Christmas! an excellent gift, if i might say...

i think I know the perfect place to hang it...right above the arch!
                      Steve Kennemer
                      Austin, TX

Comment

Ok...the weather here in Texas from Christmas thru New Years was great. This allowed me to get a few things done! First of all, I built up a shelf in front of the landing and sourced some nice Travertine. I then covered the front real nice and built an arch of white brick, rough cut. And FINALLY, I extended the front area out just a bit to allow me about 3.5 inches of insulation for the front where the metal arch transition piece is. I will probably fill with Perlite/Vermiculite concrete and be done with it. Next on my list is the roof. Anyway, here are the pics...
                        Steve Kennemer
                        Austin, TX

Comment

Wow !

That's looking really good.

You are so much further ahead of me now!

I think the stone arch is excellent.

What a beauty you are going to have!

Have you been doing any cooking?
                          My thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                          My costs:
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                          My pics:
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Well done sir. My mama taught me to give respect where respect is due. That looks truly awesome.

dusty

Comment

You should do the whole oven with that rock look. Something special indeed.
                              An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Steve,
                                I think it's going to be awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with the finish.
                                G.
                                GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                                X