Kemo's South Austin Pizza Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kemo's South Austin Pizza Oven

Thanks all for all the kind words Dusty!

I actually think I see the light at the end of the tunnel... Hopefully, this weekend will be as good, weatherwize, as last weekend.

Dave - not much cooking with the traveling and all, but Im making Dough today for this weekend. and as far as being ahead of you in the finish out, I have seen how fast you work...i wouldnt be surprised if you finished up before me!

George and Acoma - I have plans for stucco above the concrete structural layer and some kind of white rock to cover the cinder blocks...i plan on painting the stucco to match the side of my casa and stick a big rusty Texas Star above the arch - cause thats how us Texans roll...aside from cruizin the big stupid truck
    Steve Kennemer
    Austin, TX

Comment

Kemo, if you must, then you must. One request, do not be shy about the frequency of post with visuals. You have done so great to this point that it would be a shame to get a photo of the finished shot and tell us that you forget to step back and admire the finishing stage, as well as to share that beauty with us.
      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Kemo,

I am in the final phase of the metal framing of my oven, and the studs that span the roof are causing me problems. How did you attach these? I have come up with a few ideas but nothing that seems correct. I am planning a almost flat roof (allowing some drainage in the rear of the oven).

Paul
        Paul

Comment

Paul,

I dont have an answer to that question just yet...but I should have an answer with pictures by Monday

just like everything else with this oven, its in my head and I just dont see how its gonna all fit together. That is, until I do it. Then it makes sense to me
          Steve Kennemer
          Austin, TX

Comment

Steve, what a great job - I love the way you've structured the front. It looks terrific already, even unfinished. Can't wait to see the final product!

Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
              just like everything else with this oven, its in my head and I just dont see how its gonna all fit together. That is, until I do it. Then it makes sense to me
              ....or sometimes it still doesn't make sense
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Big rusty star? I like it! I'm beginning to understand how you Texicans roll. I wonder if I might be part Texican?

Question. Are you planning on mixing cement to the vermiculite as insulation or just filling the enclosure with loose vermiculite?

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                  ....or sometimes it still doesn't make sense
                  how true that comment is!
                  Steve Kennemer
                  Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
                    Question. Are you planning on mixing cement to the vermiculite as insulation or just filling the enclosure with loose vermiculite?

I plan on filling with Perlite mixed with portland...but at a 7 or 8 to one ratio. Its not going to be structural, but I would like for it to kinda stay in place.
                    Steve Kennemer
                    Austin, TX

Comment

so here is the roof of the oven going up with Metal Studs. I copied somebody elses idea of making a plywood jig to make the joist/truss(?) to go ontop. I think it worked out pretty good so far. now I need to figure out a few things like how im going to extend the roof line out about 8 inches or so in the front for cosmetic reasons. the metal is pretty flimzy so we will see. I also have to make a custom joist for the back as im getting pretty close to the fence line...again, we will see
                      Steve Kennemer
                      Austin, TX

Comment

im getting the stucco and limestone tomorrow...pictures to follow
                        Steve Kennemer
                        Austin, TX

Comment

Steve,
                          I've got no experience with metal studs, but it seems to me that if you just build another truss and maybe tie it in with a horizontal under the eves (or somewhere), you could tie the front truss to the others, cover the whole thing with backer board, and everything will become solid.

Just a guess.
                          GJBingham
                          -----------------------------------
                          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

here are the pics from this weekend...as you can see, I have the limestone in place and the stucco. I have the front overhang and I need to just finish the trim and install the metal roofing. almost done!

oh...almost forgot. Im waiting on a "watertable" which will run along the top of the limestone. basically from where the travertine ends and will go all the way to the back.
                            Last edited by Kemo; 03-11-2008, 08:41 AM.
                            Steve Kennemer
                            Austin, TX

Comment

Kemo,

Awesome work! What kind of material are you using for the roof? We have identical roof trusses .
                              Ken H. - Kentucky
                              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
                                Kemo,

Awesome work! What kind of material are you using for the roof? We have identical roof trusses .
                                I want to use a metal roof...so far, all of my materials are non combustable

and as far as the trusses go...i think i stole the idea of the plywood jig from you! worked great!
                                Steve Kennemer
                                Austin, TX

Comment

Working...
                                X