Insulation information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Insulation information

Dusty, when it comes to the critical element of Insulation blanket, I would not purchase the H.D. version. FB's is not too costly, plus it gives piece of mind.
    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
      I knew I saw this pic somewhere!
      Good eye Dave. I'm impressed!

dusty

Comment

HI, I'm new to all this and am planning to start building my oven in about a month or so. Right now I'm just trying to absorb and plan all that I will be needing to do. One area I've got a question about is the vermiculit/perlite insulation. I was doing a search and found a government report about the possibility of asbestos, (Specifically Libby, Montana asbestos) being in the vermiculite. I would rather not use any more hazzardous materials than needed, especially since I have two small children. Is there a special vermiculit/perlite that is safe/safer? If so what is it? If not, is there another insulator that can be used? Am I even posting this question in the right place?

thanks, Dom

Comment

Dom,

Any vermiculite that you buy these days is tested and retested since the incident in Libby. The bags I bought had "Asbestos Free" printed on them. I think you'll be fine. Just wear a mask, since there's a lot of dust that kicks up while you mix it with the cement.

Comment

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. I usually wear a mask anyway, but with a four-year-old who wants to "help" with everything I do and is hard to keep at bay, I have to be extra careful. Plus, I wouldn't want someone else down the road to have to deal with it if I'm not around.

Comment

Hi Dom,

Welcome aboard. I don't know of asbestos in vermiculite, but I do know that there is a better insulation to put under your oven. It is called FB board and it is available from The Forno Bravo store at a very reasonable price. It I knew then what I know now, I would have surely used it on mine. I realize now that I loose most of my heat through the floor.

Good luck and keep us posted!

dusty

Comment

Thanks, I'm looking into that as well. I plan to start working on the oven after my kid's birthday party next week. That means taking down a wall where I intend to site my oven. As I'm sure many of you have experienced before me, I'm going to have to do a ton (Literally) of work before I can do a ton of work.

Dom

Comment

Working...
                X