NH Progress pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NH Progress pictures

I decided to build the entry way arch and dome all at the same time. I couldn't visualize building the entry arch and then the dome. Everything is tied together so it is working so far. No forms except for the entry way. Cutting the bricks for tight seams is getting more complicated as things get tighter. A wedge started developing at the bottom so I am now trimming a little of the edge to reduce this to keep the joints tight.

My HF saw is still running but they are sending me a new motor. Mine wouldn't spin up fast enough to release the brake so I had to remove a spring. The HD blade is much thinner than the HF blade so it cuts quicker and quieter but doesn't track as true.

Happy with the progress so far. I'm not very experienced with the whole brick thing so it takes me a long time to do each course. No idea how someone could build the dome in a day...

Funny how the pictures make things look so bad, in person I think it looks much better.

Re: NH Progress pictures

Originally posted by Gentcpa View Post
    The HD blade is much thinner than the HF blade so it cuts quicker and quieter but doesn't track as true.
    I've been through four blades so far. I found the original HF blade wore out way too quick - it didn't seem to have much diamond in the rim. I had the best luck with the HD smooth generic tile blades, I got good quick cuts, and more longevity with those. I now have the yellow Dewalt blade on the machine. I think it has a finer grit diamond. It doesn't seem to cut nearly as fast.

Funny how the pictures make things look so bad, in person I think it looks much better.
    Don't talk it down. Your dome looks GREAT.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi Gentcpa,

I think your dome and arch are looking great! We are just getting ready to lay our floor in the next day or two and start on our dome and I'm somewhat nervous about this part of things. Glad to see someone who's not experienced can do such a good job - makes me feel like I can do it too .
      Hope to see more photos!

Sarah

Comment

Thanks

I did most of that with the Home Depot $40 blade. It was still cutting well at the end but it was oscillating badly enough at the end that I was worried about it breaking. The HF blade tracks much better on the edge cuts. I was hoping that it would last the rest of the project but that might be unrealistic. I'm hoping the saw holds let alone the blades. Glad I read up on the saws here as I was going buy one of the $77 HD 7" tile saws. There is no way I would have had as much success with a smaller saw.

Comment

Sarah:

Thanks, good luck and yes you can do it.

I was nervous about it as well, still am. I read a ton of posts and followed along with Les and Ken's progress. If you are going to taper the bricks buy the Harborfreight saw (or an equivalent as I see you are in Canada), despite the motor issue (which they are correcting) it has been well worth the investment and freedom from rentals or something that is too small.

Take your time and lay out each course before you start mortaring. Also soak the bricks until they stop fizzing before you mortar them. I added an earlier picture so you can see how I laid out the course before using mortar. I often adjusted some of the bricks and then numbered them so they would go down as expected. I chose to taper to reduce the mortar required and I also felt it would be easier to consistently cut a taper than to use shims.

Julian
          Last edited by Gentcpa; 10-17-2007, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks Julian - everything you are saying sounds like good advice. We're still sorting out the details and you hit on two of them - what saw to use (will likely be stuck with renting) and whether to taper or shim (saw choice may answer that one for me).
            The photo really illustrates what you mean. Hopefully I'll have some dome photos of my own to post soon.
            Good luck with the rest!

Sarah

Comment

Sarah - you should really consider buying a saw. You will be spending many hours pushing brick through it and renting is going to cost a small fortune.

Just my opinion (but I respect it )

Les...
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Sarah

Buying the saw vs renting or a cheap 7" was the best decision I made. I know when I bought the saw I had second thoughts, I haven't since then. This thing takes a long time to put together. The saw might be useful for finishing the exterior in the future and I have some bathrooms that I want to redo in tile so it becomes easier to justify the purchase. Just overall takes the pressure off of having to get it done quickly and who cares if it takes 5 or more cuts to get that brick to fit just so. Plus it is pretty tiring work to be perched up on top of the oven putting it together so the flexibility of taking a break and doing something else without worrying about a rental return is huge.

I did see a post where someone had bought a saw from a Canadian company that looked equivalent in price and utility to the US based HF tool, so look around.

Just trying to help.

Julian

Comment

Originally posted by Gentcpa View Post
                  Cutting the bricks for tight seams is getting more complicated as things get tighter. A wedge started developing at the bottom so I am now trimming a little of the edge to reduce this to keep the joints tight.
                  Hi Julian,

I wonder if my thread at http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tilt-2802.html might help here? (If we're talking about the same wedge!)

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

Paul,

That is a very clever way of tampering and cutting the bricks. That is the exact wedge that I was trying to explain. I have just been eyeballing it brick by brick at this point, which has obviosly slowed me down to certain degree.

I will try this tomorrow.

Thanks

Julian

Comment

More progress.

It felt good to finally complete the dome circle. Even better to pull out the arch forms.

My dome ended up low at the entry way arch. I will be able to fix that by not tapering the bricks over the next two courses. Kind of bummed about it but what is one to do, I guess I ws too aggressive about shaping the arch way bricks to meet the dome. You can see how the dome and arch interlock with each other so it all should be pretty secure.

Still should be on track for pizza on Thanksgiving.

Thanks for looking

Julian

Comment

That's somewhat like mine turned out.

Don't sweat it. Many builders end up with a teardrop shape.

Now I did end up with some weird courses at the end.

But no biggie. A few 1/4 bricks, some triangle shaped cutoffs. Plenty of mortar!

It's all good.

Looking very nice by the way.

Keep it up!
                        My thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                        My costs:
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                        My pics:
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Julian,
                          Really nice work. I just laid my floor today. I'm planning on using half bricks for the first row but I'm having trouble visualizing the transition to the oven opening while including a reveal for a door. I like the way you worked your situation. What are you going to do about fitting a door?

Thanks for your help.
                          GJBingham
                          -----------------------------------
                          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Julian,
                            Never mind. I think a later photo shows the oven opening is flared, which allows for a natural stop. I don't have room for that. Nice work!
                            George
                            GJBingham
                            -----------------------------------
                            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

GJBingham

You really don't need to flair the entry way to make an effective stop for the door. My flair doesn't amount to much more than 2 inches so I would imagine that you should have plenty of room.

If I was to do this again, I would either skip the arch and do a cosmetic one on the outside or just do an arch after the chimney. It would make the transition much much simpler and over one course instead of three. You won't really see it and would help with the door. Take a look at SarahH's pictures to see what I mean.

Thanks for the comments.

Julian

Comment

Working...
                              X