Sarah's Progress Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sarah's Progress Photos

Sometimes those forced breaks, however unwelcome, are what's needed to keep you from trying to push too fast, too far - it was probably a good thing to quit when I did yesterday and re-connect with the world away from ovens for a bit - well, somewhat - a party with lots of neighbours in attendance so lots of questions about our progress and news that one neighbour just down the street is having an oven built in the spring - seems I've spearheaded a neighbourhood trend!

I've watched the frost melt on a nearby roof this morning and seen long strings of geese head south as I wait for it to warm up a bit so I can get to work - just came back in from fishing bricks out of the pool and am now typing to warm my fingers back up. Another half hour or so, then it's time to finish 'er up - three and a half more rows to go!

Comment

Now using the ball, here's row 10 ...

Comment

Sarah,

You might want to have a look at the pics I posted in the Gallery of an Artigiano installation. Because the supplied vent is steel and squared, I went with a straight cast lintel (material was Kastite). To this and above it I will be attaching an external decorative arch. That will happen probably this week, so I'll try to post some pics post haste. Like you, I'm running ahead of the weather for the veneer stone enclosure, and it looks like I'll be surrounding the enclosure area with an insulated tarp and bringing in a heater of some sort. You have a canopy much like the one I use at a local farmers' market in good weather (a Crappy Tire special). Consider tarp walls for it. This will keep you relatively safe from frozen mortar, at least for a while.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Thanks Jim, I'll have a look - a cast lintel might be just the thing! How is Kastite to work with - is it soupy or can you mould it free-form?

As for the weather, it's turning fast so I will need to come up with more protection. So far, a light, some foam panels and a tarp have done the trick but an insulated tarp sounds good. I don't think I can get walls for the canopy I've got but I plan to scout out my options tomorrow.

Sarah

Comment

And row 11 ...

Comment

... and row 12!

OK, I won't be done today as I still need a keystone, plus some inside work - it's not as neat when you use a ball - one of the tradeoffs. So that's it for today.

Still, I am almost there! Now, if it just doesn't freeze!!

Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by sarah h View Post
                ... and row 12!

OK, I won't be done today as I still need a keystone, plus some inside work - it's not as neat when you use a ball - one of the tradeoffs. So that's it for today.

Still, I am almost there! Now, if it just doesn't freeze!!

Sarah

I think it looks great!

Have fun putting in the last brick!

Don't forget to take pictures!
                My thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                My costs:
                http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                My pics:
                http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Nice job Sarah!

I'm right behind you, though mines a little more rustic, as I prefer to call it. When are you going to start curing it????
                  George
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

...hey, I don't go into the forum for half a day, and already you're nearly finished! That went so fast!!

Yes, and now we want to see some keystone pictures. What are you waiting for?
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Great job!
                      Oven Progress
                      Bread Photos
                      Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Thanks everyone!

It's still not done yet though - what with work, rain and shorter daylight hours, the time just isn't there ...

The keystone is shaping up but needs shaving down before it's a good fit. The inside of the dome at those top rows is looking somewhat bumpy and uneven - I would have expected the ball to prevent that, but no - but also has many gaps that need mortaring, so it may look a bit better once that's done. We're getting really low on mortar so I hope we still have enough. I'm not sure whether it's necessary to coat the whole thing with a layer of it or if it's just one of those individual preference things .

The big news for the day is ... Tom delivered the vent and door today!
                        They fit really well and are really sturdy (14-gauge metal) and the refractory chimney pipe fits nicely onto the vent. It's a bit wobbly perched up there so I'll need to figure out how to address that and then attach them together.

The door, while a nice bonus, is a bit more utilitarian than I'd like, so I'm pondering ways to dress it up a bit - I have some ideas swirling around but nothing concrete yet. I'll likely insulate it too.

Here's a pic, without the chimney section - best I could do in wind, rain & dark! I'll get some better shots tomorrow.

Sarah

Comment

Thanks everyone!

It's still not done yet though - what with work, rain and shorter daylight hours, the time just isn't there ...
                          Excuse after excuse..... come on girl!

I'm not sure whether it's necessary to coat the whole thing with a layer of it or if it's just one of those individual preference things
                          I wouldn't Sarah.. it takes enough wood to heat it up.. I would of kept it clean if I knew what I know now. Too much wood. I might of even opted for the 36" version.

I have some ideas swirling around but nothing concrete yet.
                          Swirlies? you copying our Frances>?

She does make nice swirlies!

Here's a pic, without the chimney section - best I could do in wind, rain & dark! I'll get some better shots tomorrow.
                          Sarah

Actually I like both! Clean, mean, and done! What more could you want?
                          My thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                          My costs:
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                          My pics:
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

I'm good at excuses but I'm running out - guess I'll just have to finish up soon!

BTW, forgot to mention, it looks like we'll come in at just about a 1/4 inch up from an interior height of 20 inches when all is done.

Good to know your thoughts about the extra mortar layer Dave - my only concern is maintaining enough heat for some longer cook times but I expect that's where a good layer of insulation might make up for a 1/2 inch of mortar??

Sarah

Comment

Sarah - your vent is the "bomb" - excellent!! In regard to the cladding, it is totally a matter of preference, I am going to add an inch of mortar (or more) on top of the 4.5 of brick. I look at the little bit of extra mass as a good thing. I'm looking forward to going out in the morning and baking, cooking something from the residual heat.

Les...
                              Check out my pictures here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I've been trying to read up on the pros and cons of an extra layer of mortar cladding, too. I don't mind about having less mass (I don't really think that is so much of an issue with this design, we all have a considerable amount of mass as it is), but I'm still not sure if it makes a structural difference.

I mean, so far no one has said, if you do not clad your oven it will fall down!!! I can't really see how the outer layer would support the bricks which after all are working against gravity. And the dome seems to be such a stable shape just on its own. I just dunno...

But like you, I haven't got enough mortar left to cover the oven anyway, and I couldn't use the stuff I used for the bricks even if I did, so I'm going without.

Maybe someone else will give us some more info. I'd certainly be interested...

Oh and Sarah, COOL vent and door! I want to decorate my door, too (once I get one ) so I'll be watching out for your ideas.
                                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                                X