Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sarah's Progress Photos

Sarah,

The top of your dome looks perfect. That last keystone will probably look like something out of a book! Excellent vent too. Lots of great ovens finishing up on the board these days...
    Steve Kennemer
    Austin, TX

Comment

Congratulations Sarah, it looks great and the keystone is the proof of the precision and dedication of your work!! Ciao Carlo
      Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

There?s an old tune in my head, different words, goes like this ?

It was the sixth of November
        A day I?ll always remember
        ?Cause that was the day
        That my dome was
        DONE!!!

Yes! We made it!!

I woke up under the weather so I didn?t think it would happen today but since there really wasn?t much left to do and by this afternoon I had recovered somewhat, in went the keystone ? well, keystones. We decided to do a modified version of what Ken did - see the result in the pixs below (likely in two posts).

It has been quite an experience and I feel like I?ve gained a whole bunch of new friends in the process ? many thanks everyone for all the support and encouragement. I don?t know if all forums are like this but I suspect not ? there must be something kind of special about ?oven people?! Without you, it could have been a very isolating and anxious experience ? well, it did have its moments, but help was always close at hand.

James, I owe a particular thanks to you for providing the plans (and free at that!), without which this never would have happened, and for creating the forum that added such a rewarding dimension to the whole process ? cheers (I am toasting with drink in hand)!

The weather is ugly ? right as we finished, it hailed ? not big stuff, but still (pleeeeease may that not be some kind of ominous sign ) ? but it doesn?t matter ? because we?re done!

Well, there are still the next phases ? making sure nothing freezes over in the next week or so, having patience (or a straightjacket ) while I wait for that first fire, attaching the chimney, patching cracks (may they not be big or many), deciding how to winterize, doing the finish work in the spring ? and best of all, cooking in the oven ? guess this is just the beginning !

I?ll be back on this thread a few more times with a few more photos ? but no more photos today ? I?m done !!!

Sarah

Comment

More of the keystone ... I tried to put a hand print on top, but it didn't work!

Comment

Gorgeous!

Kudos to you and your WFO!

and remember, patience on the curing fires....

It was fun watching your progress. Thanks for posting and keeping us up to date.

Congrats Sarah,

Dave
            My thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
            My costs:
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
            My pics:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

NICE keystone! Fantastic work.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Sarah, are you going to do the Ken silo for the top or key option?
                Never mind, I should have looked at the photos first. Details to the end.
                Last edited by Acoma; 11-06-2007, 09:31 PM.
                An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Sarah,
                  I haven't talked to you much, but I've been watching you. I must say... Congrads! Your work is marvelous! I want to be just like you in about a month. I like to set high standards.

dusty

Comment

Very nice!!! And Congratulations on your bouncing baby pizza oven!!!

Christo
                    My oven progress -
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                    sigpic

Comment

OK, I tried to catch up, but you beat me. I loose.

The inside of the dome is awesome. Job well done! Thanks for sharing and giving me hints.

George
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Sarah, congratulations! You've built a lovely dome, and it's been a joy watching it grow!! Now I look forward to seeing what happens next.

So, a week until the first curing fire... are you going to make it? Do what I did and start building the chimney while you're waiting
                        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Really nice work...cheers to you too...now you can carry on the help to the new oven builders with your most ingenious methods that are now either tried and TRUE or tried and need rethinking
                          Best
                          Dutch
                          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Wow, it feels good to be done but I almost don't know what to do with myself now ... almost. Dave, I see what you mean about the sad/happy thing.

I cannot take all the credit though - my husband and I worked as a team through it all ... and are still speaking to each other ! When we got to the dome, he did almost all the brick cutting, while I did most of the brick placement. And every one of those brick was cut freehand with a 25-year-old 7" circular saw (Craftsman - CDN brand) that never quit and is still going strong. While most cuts were just straight across, I think that his skill in shaping that keystone was quite a feat!

George, I don't know how you think I beat you - didn't your keystone go in first?

Frances, the solution to waiting to fire it is simple - I'm taking a day trip to Toronto tomorrow (university campus tour for my daughter), back on Friday but stuck at work, then out of town again till Monday evening. Then by Tuesday, it's fire time (if the travelling doesn't finish me off first)!

Here are a few more photos.

Sarah

Comment

Who knows Sarah. It doesn't matter anyway. Your oven turned out really nice and it's done except for the insulation and finish. Kudos to you and your husband. Great teamwork!

I look forward to the first fire pics.

George
                              GJBingham
                              -----------------------------------
                              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Sounds as if you've got your time management totally under control
                                But Sarah, doesn't the door go further back, so it shuts off the dome completely, even from the chimney? Or does your door push further back if necessary? Or did I get something totally wrong here?
                                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                                X