6th course is done (almost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 6th course is done (almost)

When I took a community-ed class on kayak building (cool also) there was a discussion about why to build a kayak as opposed to buying one. The people who were teaching the class said that they believed that the only way you actually own something is if you built it.

Its very simple and makes a lot of sence to me.

Comment

Oh, I forgot, your work is incredible, I also went mortarless with my oven (although in a completely different direction), After a year or so, and probably 150plus pizzas under your belt you wont even remember the work (back ache, wife nagging, etc.) But you will still look at what you have created and smile. I know I do.

Comment

Your dome looks perfect. Seriously, I have to use mortar to cover up the mistakes! Keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

Les,
          How you coming along?

dusty

Comment

Dusty,

I believe I am done for the winter. I get's dark way early and the weekends seem to be timed for bad weather. If there is a span of a couple days with good weather, I may pull the tarps. No hurries.

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les

Great job, couple questions please, what did you use for the insulation layer under the brick oven floor? How did you cut the curves on the brick oven floor tile on the outside diameter line?

Thanks

Rich

Comment

I don't know how to do the "quote thing", but in reference to when you were talking to me, I know what you mean. I'm starting to think that finishing your oven this time of year may be a curse anyway. Some of the rececently finished ovens have had bad luck, even with proven curing technique. If I finish mine this month or next, I think I will wait 'til spring to begin cureing it anyway. So, yea, no rush at all.
                Question. Did you put small amounts of mortar between all joints?

dusty

Comment

Rich, I used a product called Insblock 19. I went with 4 inches in thickness hoping its overkill. You won't get perfect curves when cutting the brick but it's close enough. As you push the brick through the blade, you just spin it a little.

Dusty, I am just applying the mortar on the outside joint. This approach hasn't been proven yet so we'll see what happens. My biggest concern is that spalling may occur a little faster then if I had mortared all the joints.

Les...

Comment

I am in the same boat here. I get home from work and it is dark. This past weekend was great but the prior 2 were really too cold. You are so close! You can do it!

Comment

C'mon Les. You can do the dome....a little at at time.
                      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Well, I must believe that Les is done for the winter. Les, are you still on the 6th course.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Yea - I'm pretty much done for the winter on the oven. My next project is to rip out some of the pavers to get a better grade. I see a couple of areas where water wants to pool - kinda ticks me off because I spent a couple of hours shooting the grade with a laser. I had it nailed, but I was in a hurry to get them placed so I hired a few guy's from my neighbors paver crew. They screwed it up. I'm also hoping for a few good dry days so I can get them sealed as well.

Good luck if you continue through the winter - the snow was flying pretty good on Friday.

Les...

Comment

Ya, I want en route to Sac to pick up bricks. Made me think...small steps.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Still not done - nuff said...

Les...

Comment

What, you can't see your almost mortarless joints anymore?

Hope you're staying warm.

George
                                GJBingham
                                -----------------------------------
                                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
                                X