Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Robert,

Cold is right - 16 deg this AM with a high of 36 today. The white stuff doesn't want to leave I guess it could be worse. The good news is that in 10 days the sun starts heading back our way.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I think the 1/4 inch gap you mention is plenty. When I was asking about what could be Ken's cause of cracking I was not thinking about the floor pushing out, but the dome itself. That may or may not be correct, just an idea thrown out there based on where the cracks seemed to have occurred. Based on watching the further firings, Ken should have a good idea.

I might suggest an alteration to the arch design. The arch will be stronger if the bricks are cut to taper and the mortar joints kept to a minimum. The idea being that it will be freestanding on it own, even if the mortar fails. I tested mine, by pulling the form immediately after putting it together, while the mortar was still wet.
      Wade Lively

Comment

I will do the tapered arch with minimal mortar. The photo was of the draft version, with editing by peers such as yourself. I have the angle of the arch I like, now being to taper bricks. Thanks Wade.
        Today I mortared the insulation in place. Tomorrow, confirm or shave minimally to level. I had to work so fast, it was 25 degrees and no heat to help. I have a tent to help me along, but will not show up until next week. As for heating, I picked up a 24 hour electric heater, tower series. I have it heating up the underside of the hearth for today. Tomorrow, after I have the insulation confirmed, I will build a temporary tent for the obove area, then I will get the outside area prepped for a perminant work site. Wednesday, I plan to put the floor bricks down if the heating works with the temporary tent experiment. One step at a time....
        An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

I finally placed the insulation on the hearth. I am heating the hearth from below still. I will be getting my tent Friday, and from that point, I will be heating from above. I am using tarps for now to keep the top warm. I had to shave a little bit of the insulation board to get it perfectly level.

Next is to cut half bricks for the solder course. Jim(JC), you have me so tempted to utilize your arch design if that is ok? Like we say, there are so many great experiments and improved designs that it appears best to use what one favors at the time of need.

Once my tent is up, I will transition the floor bricks to the outdoors to place them in their permanent location. I am still waiting for my thermocouples, but they should arrive by Friday too. If alll goes well, I would like to recommend the source, and I will place the persons information and a photo of the thermocouples on the tools thread. Great person, and great price.

Well, here is the photo of my latest accomplishment.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

When you mortared the insulation blocks in did you use the refractory mortar or a general masonry mortar?
            RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
            Oven Thread

Comment

For insulation to hearth I used masonry mortar, type s. For the rest of the dome work where heat is much more a concern, I will be applying Refmix for bricks and cladding.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Robert, I would be honored, I have attached the template for the curved brick if that will be helpful, and a picture of the supports used in the making. I am also looking for the photos I took while the dome was still partial of the inside of the arch where it conforms to the inside dome shape, a bit hard to get the same angles at this point. There are on a CF somewhere.

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                Next is to cut half bricks for the solder course. Jim(JC), you have me so tempted to utilize your arch design if that is ok? Like we say, there are so many great experiments and improved designs that it appears best to use what one favors at the time of need.

Comment

I have attached the template for the curved brick if that will be helpful, and a picture of the supports used in the making.
                  Would it be really tacky for me to wish my arch would fall down so I could rebuild it like jcg31's? The downside is that it would probably force me to take a break until spring starts to warm things up.

Just awesome, Jim!
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Ken, you have me laughing so hard right now. Jim's arch is pretty awesome.
                    Thank you Jim for the information on how you did it.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Isn't that arch cool? talent, pure talent. I'm with Ken, at times I almost wish for problems - just to steal all of these cool design elements I've seen in the past few months and apply them to a rebuild. Then reality sets in and I realize this is not Fantasy Island and the work is all on me; along with the backaches, cement/mortar burned fingertips, and general fatigue from working 24/7 to get it done so I can have "real" pizza.

Comment

Hey RT,
                        I checked out all your pics again this morning in the photo forum. You did an awesome job. I couldn't figure out if you used a stucco on the outside of your insulation. Regardless, the final result is really cool!
                        GJB
                        GJBingham
                        -----------------------------------
                        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Thanks, I used about 1/2" - 3/4" of type N mortar over the vermicrete. then the same type N to set and grout the mosaic tile.

Comment

Don't tell me you hand placed each tile of that mosaic work. I'd go crazy! Was it applied as mesh panels.

Sorry Robert, don't mean to run off at the mouth on your thread...
                            G.
                            GJBingham
                            -----------------------------------
                            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Honestly, we all do it. No sweat on conversing about each other's needs here as well. That's what makes this more exciting, sharing of ideas, and laughing at the humor thrown in as well.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Each and every tile piece was first broken from larger tile on my garage floor (to create the irregular shapes & sizes) and YES, placed individually. I tried making my own tile sheets, did not save me any time because you still have to fit the pieces on the mesh; but it did make it easier to install alot a one time.
                                I would say that the tile has about 60 man hrs in it........it took a loooong time

Comment

Working...
                                X