X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoma
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Carlo, I had no real technique. I merely went with the continued distance from center that could be accomplished. I messed up with not using a dome template for distance, so I had courses 4-8 paying the price. The thread talks about it. As for connection to the dome, I felt that I woul rather like to see the brick connected with as much mass as possible. You see that with the 7th course of #342 of this thread. I could have shaved the brick to have it only hitting the inner face of the arch, but thought it might be better to have the weight pressing down, so I created the shape of the brick to connect wherever possible. Hope that answers your inquiry.

As for the door, my entry has a peak of 12" with sides of 9.5". I winged this as well because of my arch template not panning out as needed. Most all of arch was freehand, one brick per side per day (not fun). I have the face of the arch flared, which was an original design by Jim (JCG31).

Leave a comment:

• biondoli
    replied

Robert,
    looking at your pictures on Picasa I saw that your arch is actually supporting part of the dome as well, you hanged up some bricks on it, which is what I'd like to accomplish as well. Was this a calculated technic? How tall is your door arch? thansk Carlo

Leave a comment:

• beaglestorm
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    Hey Michael,

I'm in San Angelo. I found bricks at ACME for $1.11 each. Do you have an ACME nearby?
    I think I am only 6 hours away... but not sure you would save money by driving to San Angelo. Dang gas prices.
    But you might want to do some more checking....if you haven't already checked everywhere.

Dave
    Thanks for pointing this out. I also called Lubbock @1.00 and Midland @ 1.29. With this information, I was able to badger my local ACME into ordering a pallet for me. They are even going to deliver the pallet to my house next week at no extra charge. My new price (down from 3.80 or so) is 1.19 each. So I guess I am all in now. I have to hurry up and finish before the 100 degree days get here. Thanks again Dave!

-Mike

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Thank you sooo much Dmun! There's a distributor about 45 minutes away from me! Yippeeeeee!

Leave a comment:

• telehort
    replied

great looking pictures Acoma :-)

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Insblock19 is a product of the big refractory outfit Harbison-Walker and they have distributors all over the country. That said, I bought my insblock 19 from a local dealer for less than half what H-W was charging, and had had friendly, well informed service to boot.

Kraemer Gunite Innovation & Performance Since 1974

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

That's a great looking oven. Congratulations on a job well done.

One question- what's the manufacturer or supplier for the insblock? If I knew that I might be able to ask for it from local suppliers without them looking at me like I'm nuts. So far they've tried to sell me rmax, sound insulating drywall material and styrofoam. I can see the mess now...

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

Michael,

If you use two layers, criss cross them so the joints do not line up. You could do the first back to front, and the second side to side.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Michael, thank you for your interest in my build, and I am very happy that you want to build one too.

As for my insblock, it is actually 3", and is one piece with regards to desity. It is unbelievable, no give to moisture. As to combining 2 sections for density, just sandwich them, don't use any mortar to bond them. And if you do it this way, I am then curious as to whether you do your solder course around the outside floor, then surrounding the insblock. That would be my route, which is what I did anyways. Some have put solders on top, I wanted independant motion of floor and dome.

Leave a comment:

• beaglestorm
    replied

Acoma,

Great looking oven! In the picture with you in it, it looks like your insbolck 19 is 2 layers. I remember you said you used 4". Is it one 4" layer or 2 - 2" layers?

I found some 2" locally and wanted to know if you think the insblock is strong enough to stack 2 - 2" layers to make 4". Two layers seem a little unstable and I was thinking it might make leveling the floor much harder. Would you attach the two insblock layers together in any way, or would the weight of the cooking floor be enough to hold them in place. Thanks and good luck with your curing. I am very curios to see how you are going to finish the exterior.

-Michael

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

My final pre curing photos. I am absolutely excited that I made it to this point. I preached patience, but damn, that week of doing nothing killed me. Xabia, thanks for working me on that. The sun was right in my eyes during the photo opp. and I could not help squinting, not to mention that it is not my best, but who cares

Now, the next photos for this thread will be when I apply, and finish the Matrilite 18. After that, framing.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I will be noting my curing process on my curing thread. The process is fairly smooth too. The wood, wow! Just a little chunk can send the temp up 25 degrees in a heart beat.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Good luck Acoma! I'm thinking of you and your oven today...

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Guess what, I wake up and CURE tomorrow.......................I have plenty of kindling, scrap, some great Almond coming in the morning, and photos to share. I am also stoked because I have such an awesome contact for Oak that is getting the cords ready for a few of us members. The wood yard that is local has been cool too, saying I can pick up excellant scrap wood, and plenty of it, for kindling. Life is looking good. We will see if cracks happen, hope not.
    Last edited by Acoma; 03-18-2008, 08:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

The plus signs are next to the people that one creates on buddy lists. It shows only at the main forum active members section. I tagged a few people to see what would happen, and that was the result.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X