X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gjbingham
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

I'm not sure you need it at all, but I would guess that standard ground cloth for landscaping would suit your needs.

Just my opinion.
    George

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I am about to get rebarb for ground prep. I was curious about the fabric recommendatins for seperating the dirt from cement (for foundation). I have seen a few types, but what is best for frost areas like the sierras?

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Wow! Like total yard makeover. I figured that your 2' footings had to do with the freezing weather. Mine are 8", but winters here are nowhere near that harsh. Must be a tremendous relief to finally begin the oven part of the project - the part you have been working so hard towards for months.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Les, the dirt is removed for footings. Now the prep for pouring.
    Dusty, for preperations I built a retaining wall 2.5ft above ground by 60ft. I then rototilled the entire backyard because the slope was terrible for all I plan to do. My area where the oven courtyard and island go had a big gully that I needed to fill with dirt (post retaining wall). I then used two types of MONSTER tampers that made my body jello. I then moved my fence (seperating front to back yards) towards the street by 6ft. Finally, I dug 2ft. deep area for the oven where the soil is hard clay with rocks inside. By now, patience is well understood. Like Les, I live where freezing soil is a concern. I was informed that 2ft is best here. Last year we had nearly a week of 10 below. Many homes had busted water pipes, flooding within, due to thawing.
    I will now prepare the site with correct steps and pour. Once done, I plan to go slow and careful, by natures time and whether.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Excellent! A monumentous day for sure. I'm sure that you, more that alot of us, know what you are getting yourself into. I can't offer much, but I will say this. Focus on the big picture, but make sure you are happy with each baby step. Don't let yourself try to tell yourself "that's good enough", or "no one will ever notice that". Your oven is going to last a LONG time.

Did you move the dirt around and then excavate it? I didn't understand that part. Can't wait to see some photos.

Dusty

P.S. I thought that if southern cal. had a capital, Los Angeles would be it.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Congrats Robert!

You will need blankets, because we will be freezing next week I may be done for the year, but no worries, gives me a spring project

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    started a topic Acoma 42" Tuscan

Acoma 42" Tuscan

It has finally began. I am over the prep, prep, prep. Absolutely exhausting, spending countless hours reshaping my entire backyard so that I may have the needed dirt for the area where I will be building the oven.
    Today, I formed my area, then started to remove dirt. Tomorrow, I hope to complete excavation of the dirt (2ft. at footers). My goal is to have the area prepped for pour by end of week. Pictures of site will be after dirt is done.
    I know, I have been full of information, lacking in action. Well, I have been in action (prep), meaningless to the facts of oven building. I am now happy to be a part of my respectfull peers.
Working...
X