X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoma
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

James, I just got the 3 bags of Refmix to go with my other 2. Also, just got the pizza cutter, nice blade! I will test it out tonight with pizza from Papa Murphy's. I want to thank you too for kindly offering these great gifts as a result of our contributions to the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Well, today I finished mortaring half the floor down. I will do a photo once the entire floor is down, more entertaining for you all. I had to stop at 2pm today because I do not have my tent until Monday, and I did not want to work in shade with the temp going down quickly. I have a dence painters tarp doubled over the bricks, followed by two layers of thin outside tarp. This for the top, followed by heater below for the hearth is doing great. I do hope to have the oven done tomorrow morning, with a children's b-day going on in the afternoon, I must be swift. Monday through Thursday is intermintant snow and rain showers. Would have been great getting the tent Friday, since now I see set up in unpleasant weather.
    I will continue until done.

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

So Robert, the real fun is about to begin - cool! I'm looking forward to seeing your dome take shape!

Sarah

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

RTFlorida: Once again, I am in awe!

Robert: Keep uploading those pics. Have fun with the floor!

George

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Robert,
    I hear ya, I was overuled by a higher power when it came to the tile. MY plan was to use premade tile sheets and fill in where needed to compensate for the dome curviture. The flames around the entry I knew would be tedious, but I expected to fly accross the dome.
    My wife didn't like it when we laid it out, and insisted on a "random" look. I agree with her, it looks much better than my plan. It took three entire weekends plus an hour or two each day during the weekdays.
    I think it looks cool, but I would choose a different route if I had to do it over.

RT

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I am playing it safe, 5 bags of Refmix now available for floor, arch, dome and cladding work. Also have blanket insulation on the way. Today, I picked up my second brick batch (144) which were in excellant shape. As planned, I will get the floor bricks in place tomorrow, right after I put my thermocouples in. Just got those delivered yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Forget it. 60 hours, no thank you.

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Each and every tile piece was first broken from larger tile on my garage floor (to create the irregular shapes & sizes) and YES, placed individually. I tried making my own tile sheets, did not save me any time because you still have to fit the pieces on the mesh; but it did make it easier to install alot a one time.
    I would say that the tile has about 60 man hrs in it........it took a loooong time

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Honestly, we all do it. No sweat on conversing about each other's needs here as well. That's what makes this more exciting, sharing of ideas, and laughing at the humor thrown in as well.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Don't tell me you hand placed each tile of that mosaic work. I'd go crazy! Was it applied as mesh panels.

Sorry Robert, don't mean to run off at the mouth on your thread...
    G.

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Thanks, I used about 1/2" - 3/4" of type N mortar over the vermicrete. then the same type N to set and grout the mosaic tile.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Hey RT,
    I checked out all your pics again this morning in the photo forum. You did an awesome job. I couldn't figure out if you used a stucco on the outside of your insulation. Regardless, the final result is really cool!
    GJB

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Isn't that arch cool? talent, pure talent. I'm with Ken, at times I almost wish for problems - just to steal all of these cool design elements I've seen in the past few months and apply them to a rebuild. Then reality sets in and I realize this is not Fantasy Island and the work is all on me; along with the backaches, cement/mortar burned fingertips, and general fatigue from working 24/7 to get it done so I can have "real" pizza.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Ken, you have me laughing so hard right now. Jim's arch is pretty awesome.
    Thank you Jim for the information on how you did it.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

I have attached the template for the curved brick if that will be helpful, and a picture of the supports used in the making.
    Would it be really tacky for me to wish my arch would fall down so I could rebuild it like jcg31's? The downside is that it would probably force me to take a break until spring starts to warm things up.

Just awesome, Jim!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X