X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gjbingham
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Not a huge setback Robert. Glad you caught it now, rather than later. Hang in there buddy!
    George

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

THIS IS A DEPRESSING MOMENT!!!!

I have looked at the pattern, and no matter what, I would end up at 18.5 for inside. I talked with FB engineer and he said the large gaps would not be an issue. He saide 18.5 for inside top is not an issue for me. The bottom line per Peter is what I feel comfortable with.

Now I will be removing courses 5 and 6. These are the courses with the large lift. So depressing, but the smartest course to get me towards the 20" oven, and to have it done right. I will be usig the oven for years, and for all the hard work, it is better to take 2 steps back. This may take a week to remove and clean up the bricks.

Jim, please do me a favor and work up a new course of lift for the back starting with lift from 4. I am not sure if I really need to remove 4 as well, being that I would be at 23" from center for inside top. Please confirm a good angle would exist if I keep it.

As for the rest of you. I will be tuning out of participation for a few weeks. This is very hard to swallow and is very depressing. Again, it is needed.

Once I get the numbers from Jim, get each course completed again, I will provide fresh photos.

Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

This help from all of you helps drive me foreward. It keeps me motivated to see this oven throug. I am excited now, and more so that the day I started the project.

I will do the cladding of 1 inch as reenforement. Better safe than not.

Jim, you are truly a gentlemen and friend, to provide the details that you have done for me. Actually, all of you have been a motivator to me, and it means so much.

Jim, I will check out the lift for the back that you mention, and with my template that I will construct, to verify everything.

Inishta, we are all the great innovators, the originals to our ovens. You are right. I mentioned myself to the level of what concerns us at this moment. I am glad we all agree as to where we have ventured. In my opinion, there is no greater oven forum that gives strength and support to each other. Not to be gooey, but we are in a wierd way, an extended family that supports the needs of the members.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Robert
    Looking at Jim's chart, I'm wondering if you now reduce the gap to less than 1/2" you may get closer to the 20" goal. I sketched mine out yesterday and will be a little high unless I tamper the next row. Put it down on paper or if you are like Jim down on CAD drawing and see what gap works.
    You could then think of only reinforcing those levels with cladding

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Dave, Inishta,
    I think you guys got it right. Enjoy the process. Robert, you put a lot into this project and to me it is very important to put your own ideas and design into it, HAVE FUN, and HOPE for the best. I know you have done the first and are hoping for the best...that leaves having fun doing it. I hope you are and have.
    Stick by what you believe, and build YOUR oven. We have all had setbacks in the process and I think every forum member would agree - we all try to give advice that may help the next guy avoid our own pitfalls.

That said, if no one jumps in and says the outward thrust on certain courses will be too great (due to you steep angles on those course), Someone that really knows the issue, not just a guy like me who has concerns but no math or logic to back it up....... Go for it, it is what you designed (and I assume want). My LAST recomendation would be a YES to putting on that layer of cladding you've mentioned. If it all adhears well, it should supply a bit of reinforcment, hey, I did a 1/2" layer for the very same reason, to help tie it all together and give a uniform finish before the insulation...a lot of us have done the same. Can't hurt, and it just might do what we want - keep the dome in tact. Good luck bud, and I know I've already said it - your doing a very clean, precise build, my hat is off to you.

RT

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

[QUOTE=Inishta;23583]Somehow I think this title belongs to all the great and innovative builders that have made the FB forum the oven building resource par excellence it already is.

Just enjoy building.......

I rushed mine, but i still had fun

Lots of cracks, but my WFO is still standing, and it's the best oven/bbq/smoker/slow cooker I have ever owned

Rock on!!!!!
    Last edited by asudavew; 02-02-2008, 10:57 PM. Reason: silliness

Leave a comment:

• Inishta
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post

Maybe I will be the first in this forum as Michalangelo, to do the unknown? Maybe I will be the Darwin of evolution? Maybe I will be the Columbus of America
    Somehow I think this title belongs to all the great and innovative builders that have made the FB forum the oven building resource par excellence it already is.

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

That's the spirit Robert! (Although I would still give Peter a call).
    Actually if you want to get to 20" internal ceiling height change the gap measures you had planned, to 4/10" beginning with C7 (that is the gap between C6 and C7 will be .4") and carrying on with the same .4" gap through to the keystone.

Now this is based upon measures done in the CG world, so spacing larger in the real world due to mortar, irregular bricks etc. will have to be adjusted for. Also this is based upon a 42" oven.

If you don't already have one you might consider getting a gravity based protractor. They are available right next to the tape measures in any home center, are great for maintaining the proper slope of a course (as demonstrated by many others on this forum before me) but also great when cutting brick bevels.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

What I have done is a 1/2 inch lift on the back side for course 3. I went with 1 1/8 lift in back for courses 4,5,6. I am at 21.75 from center floor with measurement from top center of inside brick of course 6.

I am going to get some cardboard and shape a template based on where I am at and where I can get to with rational angle.

Should my template get me LOW like Jim mentions than I will get my grinder and taper the tops of row 6 for what ever length is needed to get me up to 20" as a goal based on Jim's concept. If my template shows that I need to mellow out on the back side seperations of bricks, I will taper accordingly to bring me down to the 20. 20 is the goal. If I go to 19 or 21 I am fine. 19 is if my angle is rapid and needs tapering, 21 is if I still need angle but can mellow the angle.

I will take photos and show the template as to what is current with goal or the realization. I will also have with that the bricks representing each course so far, and based on the template, what the seperations would be like for the remaining.

I will not tear down bricks to redo courses. If I must play doctor than I will. I believe that it will be either grinding out the 6th course to mellow out future angles, or mellowing out future angles from here forth will be the option.

Honestly, we see driveways with several tons of vehicles parked atop without cracks. Driveways with 4" cement. The Refmix is supposed to be the best and supposedly handles heat fluctuations, high and low. If that is right, I should not be concerned?

Maybe I will be the first in this forum as Michalangelo, to do the unknown? Maybe I will be the Darwin of evolution? Maybe I will be the Columbus of America (actually the native americans were through the berring straight). Point is, I believe the mortar should hold up unless Peter and James can justify that the mortar is not strong enough.

I ask that we continue this dialect and use my oven for bouncing the medical (oven) needs to make this AWESOME! We are all doctors in what we do, right? Think about it, don't we perform surgery on cracks? Confront temp fluctuations to understand the beating of our foods?

I do not expect to fail? I never have on any project, and this will not be the first.

I do want to know if cladding will support the dome, or not. This is highly important, and I would expect, or rather, appreciate, for James engineer (Peter) to speak on this as well. You can see that I am working carefully to produce a beauty that performs for many.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

RC,
    I didn't read the thread...
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/f...eopolitan+oven

I'm not sure if it has what you are looking for. Sounds like Robert's is headed in that direction. A Tuscan style 42 inch oven should have a dome height around 21 inches, right? From reading your posts, it sounds like you are already there after seven rows. Yes? (No?)

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Jim, it sounds like it may end up like the low vault Naples versus the higher vault Tuscan-style. Has anyone built a Naples style oven and what is there experience? Did they taper the top and bottom of the bricks to reduce the gap?
    Last edited by RCLake; 02-02-2008, 04:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Robert
    When I checked this thread this morning, I had a glitch - only item on page 28 was my posting and then it went to page 29 with the response that are still on that page. I didn't see any of the responses on page 28 so reading page 29 didn't make any sense to me.
    Seeing comments this pm, I went back to page 28 and the comments were there. Since refmix and HS didn't recommend gaps over 3/8", I've kept mine at 1/4-3/8" and now that I'm done with row 7 I'm just less than 21". I put one block on the next row (to anchor the others when I start) and I'm still at the same distance and that was with a 1/2" gap.
    I wasn't sure what to next and then I came across this discussion and I'll follow it closely. I thought I would taper the bottom of the next row. I think I'll get some paper and draw it out -don't know how to do that sophesticated drawings Jim has been so kind to provide. I did get google sketchpad and started using it but it kept freezing up my computer (probably Vista - Microsoft and google don't get along that well).

Think about Jim's latest sketch.

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    You don't want to know. Well, I know I will hear plenty but it has been my decision in order to accomplish my end goal.

Done:
    C1-solder, no gap
    C2-no gap, straight up
    C3- .50 inches
    C4- 1 1/8th inches
    C5- 1 1/8th inches
    C6- 1 1/8th inches
    To Do:
    C7- 1 1/8th inches (this would get me to 21 even)
    C8- 1 1/8th inches (this would get me to 20.25)
    C9- 1 inch (Goal of 20)
    C10- ? (Goal of 20)
    C11- ? (Goal of 20)
    C12- ? (Goal of 20)
    C13- ? (Goal of 20)

Now you know the gaps and goals. Lay it on me I will find out the performance, cracks, success and failures by this. I just like the larger brick look; I don't want the beveled bricks that shorten them.

From Jan 19th.
    Jim, I went straight with the first 2 only. The 3rd s angled slightly, with the 4th now to have a more radical angle to get me to a 20" top.

I am doing so much free hand with arch and dome right now. I used the tool to get the perfect circle, but my use will be limited until likely the 7th course, being that I am bringing the dome in to the 20.

Robert,

In taking another look at your numbers provided, I have a question. When you speak of "this would get me to 21 inch even" in the detail you provided, where are you measuring to and from?

Also, It wasn't entirely clear to me whether the gaps mentioned in your detail were used in placing the brick or following the brick so I am relying on a quote from the 19th where you say you angled the 3rd course slightly and the photo that accompanied that quote showed three courses above floor level. So I assuming the c3 bricks were placed with a 1/2" gap between c3 and C2 and I am ignoring the course at floor level from the count (see illustration attached).

Assuming I understood your detail of the gaps used (and to be used) correctly, it would appear that when your reach course 9 you are going to be at or about 90 degrees, or perfectly vertical to the floor, and you will still have a number of courses (4 plus keystone) to go. In other words it would appear you are peaking way too early. If I am correct, that will be a major issue for you if you continue as planned. It also appears that the gaps won't get you to where you want to go. The internal height of your dome will be 15.2" (although the outside of the dome will be close to 20").

I am hoping that either you made a mistake in what you wrote or that I am mistaken in how I am interpreting it given the effort you have put in to date on this project. I understand your reluctance to tear down what has already been done, but if the drawing is correct I think it could be made right with the redo of just C6 and C5.

Ken would be a good on to check in with. He started with a very high soldier course. If you take a look at his photos, he maintained a consistent increase in angle all the way to his keystone.

Uno perhaps as well for his structural expertise.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

How bought some triangle shaped brick wedges to fill the gaps?

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
    This is starting to sound like cervical spinal surgery. Way too complicated for me. I'm limited to oral surgery and sloppy dome building.
    I'm with you on this one Doc.

Cept for that oral surgery thing...

I do have some needle nose vise grips though.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X