• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beaglestorm
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    Hey Michael,

I'm in San Angelo. I found bricks at ACME for $1.11 each. Do you have an ACME nearby?
    I think I am only 6 hours away... but not sure you would save money by driving to San Angelo. Dang gas prices.
    But you might want to do some more checking....if you haven't already checked everywhere.

Dave
    I called the ACME El Paso office again just to be sure. They were at $3.75. Spoke to the manager about the huge difference in price, he says that they only stock the high duty brick and that is what they are pricing for me. Then bla bla bla about shipping to El Paso is much more than anywhere else in the entire world apparently. I will however, try calling the San Angelo and Midland offices tomorrow to see if and how much to ship to the El Paso office. Otherwise, it?s 225 miles to Albuquerque to pick them up myself for $1.10. Thanks for your help Dave.

-Michael

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Microsoft. I noticed it with Les, James, and a couple others.

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
    No plus sign seen after anyone's name on my screen.
    Nor mine, what browser are you using Robert?

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

No plus sign seen after anyone's name on my screen.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

On main forum page where listed active users are shown.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    I am noticing a couple of us now have these + symbols next to our names. What is up with that?
    Where are you seeing the plus sign?

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I am noticing a couple of us now have these + symbols next to our names. What is up with that?

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Come into any of our threads any time for advice, etc. As for your own thread, it will be great documentation of your great work to be.
    Great Oven Robert.
    I enjoyed watching your progress.

Take your time on the curing process.

Enjoy it like a good after-dinner glass of wine or fine cigar.

Stand back and admire it for a few days!

Dave

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by beaglestorm View Post

I wish I could find seconds! Here in El Paso, bricks are $3.50 each. (And that is my contractor price) I am planning a weekend vacation to either Albuquerque (4 hours) or Tucson (4 1/2 hours) to trailer some home. They are only $1.10 and $1.46 respectively. Austin (8 hours) was also at $1.46 but that is just too far even though I love visiting Austin. (By plane)

-Michael
    Hey Michael,

I'm in San Angelo. I found bricks at ACME for $1.11 each. Do you have an ACME nearby?
    I think I am only 6 hours away... but not sure you would save money by driving to San Angelo. Dang gas prices.
    But you might want to do some more checking....if you haven't already checked everywhere.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Come into any of our threads any time for advice, etc. As for your own thread, it will be great documentation of your great work to be.

Leave a comment:

• beaglestorm
    replied

Thanks for the extra details. I had planned on 250 bricks, but will up it to 300. I did not take damaged ones or waste into my calculations.

I wish I could find seconds! Here in El Paso, bricks are $3.50 each. (And that is my contractor price) I am planning a weekend vacation to either Albuquerque (4 hours) or Tucson (4 1/2 hours) to trailer some home. They are only $1.10 and $1.46 respectively. Austin (8 hours) was also at $1.46 but that is just too far even though I love visiting Austin. (By plane)

As for the Refmix and the FB Board / blankets... I have not been able to find any of those materials significantly cheaper so I will probably end up buying from FB... just to help keep the board running strong another year.

I am planning my oven in the 42" range. I have some big fossilized cantera stone blocks I am trying to incorporate into the design. They were recovered from an old school we are tearing down.

I?ll start a new thread when I finally start. I am 50/50 right now on the awesome traditional brick arch and oven similar to yours and Jim?s or a very modern looking stucco and metal creation.

-Michael

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Tuesday will be here soon enough, split that wood

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Twiddling your thumbs helps. Enjoy your week off - go chop some wood!

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I will wait the 7 days, and will start Tuesday. Now I see what everyone means by waiting, staring, and saying "it won't hurt".

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

XJ,

A side note to your well founded advice. Concrete and stone sealers, such as the excellent one from Benjamin Moore, specify that it cannot be used until the concrete/mortar has cured for 26 days. There's a reason for that, and you've covered it well.

CJ

Leave a comment:

Working...
X