• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dusty
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    If these dimensions are not good for smoke, speak now.....
    Unfortunatly, there is only one way to tell for sure. And since you are so handy with the grinder, you could always change it later if it doesn't work as good as you would like.

Mine happens to be 17"x 4 1/2" with a 20" entry width.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Thinking about it now, I think tomorrow I will use the grinder to widen the bottom of the vent with an angle towards the top. I wonder, how much more bottom width would be good? Ken, I know your vent depth is only 5". Should I go from the bottom of the right side to the top of the left for the right side of the vent, then repeat it for the left side of the vent brick? Somewhat similar to Ken's. No problem doing it now while I have not addressed the chimney base or chimney itself.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Les, thanks for pushing me to go the form route. Actually cleaning it was not bad due to the pace to get the 5 on. This was of couse after the 2nd set was attached for 3 hours.

RC and Dusty, below are my dimensions. You and anyone with concerns or blessing, please speak.

My vent opening is 5.5 * 12.5
    My entry width is 22.5
    My depth of entry area is 14
    My dome to vent opening brick at top is 4.5
    My vent to flair end is 6.5

If these dimensions are not good for smoke, speak now.....

As for the chimney is an 8" round.

I have finished the arch and now have photos to share. I must say that it is not a clean arch, that will get done once the mortar sets. I also have areas where the mortar is extra (top and sides). I want to grind that later and add some items that reflect my daughters. I am also considering some type of bears that would go on top of the arch, with framing in mind. Not sure of this part yet....My daughters are of the Bear clan from N.M. They are Acoma children. I thought it would be special to them.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
    RCLake's seems to be working fine. I think my less pronounced arch (2 inch rise over the 20 inch span) may contribute to my smoke spilling out the sides.
    That could be. Mine is much more arched - less flat. I just went out to measure it. (6" rise over 20" span.)

dusty

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

RCLake's seems to be working fine. I think my less pronounced arch (2 inch rise over the 20 inch span) may contribute to my smoke spilling out the sides.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Robert,
    The width of my chimney opening is only slightly narrower than the width of my entrance. Front arch is 20" wide and the vent width is 17". I seem to remember George grinding his wider to improve his draw. The thought being that the wider opening didn't allow smoke to excape on the sides. I saw your pics and it looks like you are planning a narrower vent opening. Where yours looks five bricks wide, mine is seven.
    Thought I should mention it.
    Mine draws fine.

dusty
    Last edited by dusty; 03-04-2008, 02:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Robert,
    What size opening are you shooting for in your arch for the vent. I remember you saying your chimney from FB arrived, is it a 8"?

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Les, I did a huge clean up job to the work area, then I grabbed the form to see what I could do. Well, I am able to get it aligned so that I may do the final 5 bricks in rapid motion. Let me clarify that, I mean the back third of the final 5 have area for support. I don't have support for the flair section, but it should be fine. I will update later today.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

[QUOTE=Acoma;25641]I also get concerned about the ability to clean up the bricks if the form is in the way. I have seen mortar dried to domes with forms, and I am concerned I would have it with the oven.QUOTE]

I know what you mean - I had some issues with that on my wood storage arch - an angle grinder and muriatic acid does wonders.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Les, I messed up on the back bricks and started 1 inch low. I then decided to eliminate the lip up there. As for my form, it does not line up well with the first 2 sets so that is why I have done the whole arch so far freehand. I am going to look over the form to see if I can modify its shape to assist with rappid finish. I also get concerned about the ability to clean up the bricks if the form is in the way. I have seen mortar dried to domes with forms, and I am concerned I would have it with the oven. I am going to check it out though. I am going to take a couple hours and start cleaning up the tent area, and surrounding work area. Project transition to start very soon.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Robert - why don't you just build a form and set them all at once? Also, I'm not seeing a lip for the top of your door to seal against - is that just the picture or by design?

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I have completed the 2nd set of arch bricks. I will wait 2 hours, then the 3rd set., etc...

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Les, haven't thought about off-setting the face. What off-set idea were you thinking? I like the flair though. As for the original designer, that was JC Jim. I will have another picture this evening. I plan on getting 6 bricks on if possible. I figure 1 per side, wait 2 hours, support from below, then 1 more per side, etc... This would allow for me to finish the arch tomorrow. We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Robert - I love the flair on the entry (someone else went there, just don't recall who). Question; are you going to add a finish brick to the front? If so, you must be planning on off-setting them. You got me thinking in a new direction - I still am able to incorporate this (Thanks! )

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Thank you everyone for the comments today. I did finish the bricks for the wall yesterday evening, and was able to get 1 brick per arch side done. I know it looks wierd, but my goal for the moment is to get bonding. I want to get through the arch faster (and safely) now. I was right about that added row on the wall, what a difference to the surface area needed for the mortar.

I will also be adding bricks to the top of the arch once completed so that I may have the chimney squared up.. Looking at Ken, Jim, etc, I noticed it being done.

Here is the photo. Input always accepted. And Ken, I will alert you to when I plan to cure via the new method. I hope you show up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X